ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

27" iMac...

Same spec as mine, although I upgraded the HDD to 2TB, and added a vertex 3 SSD drive.

Fast is an understatement!

Oh and another 8GB RAM too!

RAM will no doubt get maxxed next year done time as for storage I decided I'd get external if I needed more capacity, that or if I feel brave open it up and change it possibly for SSD if they drop in price. Either way I wasn't going to pay Apple to fit a higher capacity one at their crazy prices!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
did i read somewhere that the drives are proprietary on the new imacs?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I thought I'd read some had already successfully changed drives. I may be wrong though.

Not with any sort of ease. We got our 27" iMac a couple of months ago. We went for similar spec but also went for the 256Gb SSD. Maxed the RAM to 16Gb from Crucial.

Tis a flying machine tbh.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

Lol. Just that over on macrumours a lot of people have had issues coz Apple put some software/firmware in the HDD that controls the fan speed. Remove this and the fan always goes mental.

Have you kept the standard HDD?

Nope. Replaced with 2TB drive.

The standard drive is in my garage somewhere I think.

All a load of BS to me about not being able to change HDD.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Did you get dust behind the glass Dan?

I want a hybrid in mine but I'm scared of opening it :eek:

Well it's arrived this morning and I've literally just done the initial set up and update and it's currently updating my iPhone 4 from iOS 4.0.1 (you're not reading wrong, lol) and I'm already impressed. My iMac G5 with iSight is looking/feeling very dated in comparison.

LY 182
Well it's arrived this morning and I've literally just done the initial set up and update and it's currently updating my iPhone 4 from iOS 4.0.1 (you're not reading wrong, lol) and I'm already impressed. My iMac G5 with iSight is looking/feeling very dated in comparison.

Customary pics required!

I'll post some up at some point, desk it's on is a mess right now so I'll do it once I've had a tidy up.

Having decided to start afresh with this machine what format are people ripping their CD's to iTunes on? On my last mac I left it with the default AAC but if people suggest one of the other options are preferable I'll change that now before I begin ripping.

RIP Dan
I <3 my iMac now.

Still a noob after 4 months though.

You will love it Turkish.

Apart from no hash key, fcuking alt 3.:(

Mondeo ST TDci
Ive just ordered the 16gb upgrade for my 27", going up from 8gig. Id love to stick in an SSD, but i dont have the balls to open it up and do the upgrade.

While you're here Dan any suggestions for a sensible piece of software to import and edit pics from my D3000? Don't really want to spend mega money as I'm a very lazy amateur tog.

RIP Dan
Go Aperture as its cheaper. Light room is slightly better but for the money difference Aperture.

RIP Dan
You probably use it properly and know what you are doing, I didn't find it massively different but a third of the price.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I <3 my iMac now.

Still a noob after 4 months though.

You will love it Turkish.

Apart from no hash key, fcuking alt 3.:(

This is why (as a programmer) I always buy US mac keyboards when possible.

Audi S1
photo-4.gif

Where is this desk from, link? Would be ideal!