ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

21.7 MPG Something wrong?

Black SportClio 182
Iv had my car 4 months now and my mpg has not got any higher the 21.8 doesnt matter how i drive the bleeding thing. my fule gadge goes down with my miles on my computer to.. something cant be right?

Renault Traffic
Re: 21.7 MPH Something wrong?

i reckon something is up with your mpg reading as if you are saying you are not rallying your car every moment of everyday it should be around 29mpg at least

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

lol I thought this thread was about a car that couldnt go faster than 21mph!! Try reseting it whilst driving on a A road, see if it goes up to 45/40MPG just to check its actually doing a calculation...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

lambda sensor

You should be easily managing 36mpg, and over 40 if you try

It's also possible your cam timing is wrong. Has it had the cambelt done recently?

PH1 iceburg

Is it running ok? Mine was getting 21.6 with an injector down!

Volvo C30 R - T5

Think you may need to reset it, I dont check mine much but when I do it seems pretty accurate. It seems to range from 18-38, dependant on the driving!

Black SportClio 182

there was a problem with all the cams and timing when i bought the car there was a really horrid nocking noise coming from the engine and had it all sorted, reset the mile trip ting on the dash when i bought the car. as for running alright there is a very slight tapping noise atm, my car hasnt had a service for 30/40k miles. cambelt isnt due for another 2k miles its on 70k now. theres also a slight whistling noise almost like a turbo when i boot it is this normal?
its just one thing after another wit this car!!

Arctic 182 FF

Mine also ranges from 21 to 25 for driving around town, mainly to work, but roads are busy during rush hour so stop start a lot. When I went on a longer run I did reach 30 mpg, but I thought I should be expecting more. Is there any way of knowing if the Lambda sensor needs replacing?

Sunflower Ph1 172

there was a problem with all the cams and timing when i bought the car there was a really horrid nocking noise coming from the engine and had it all sorted, reset the mile trip ting on the dash when i bought the car. as for running alright there is a very slight tapping noise atm, my car hasnt had a service for 30/40k miles. cambelt isnt due for another 2k miles its on 70k now. theres also a slight whistling noise almost like a turbo when i boot it is this normal?
its just one thing after another wit this car!!

If you haven't serviced it in 30/40k you can expect problems.

Black SportClio 182

Just to let you all know thats not my idea im hving it done on he weekend i looked at the service book and thats what it said lol

S4, Tamora, Conti GT

reset the trip computer each tank of fuel, it does average mpg, so it doesn't change a huge amount, some cars tell you your current mpg this will change lots. the turbo kinda noise is likely to be either the cat-manifold / cat-centre exhaust section has leak. Like others have said if the car hasn't been serviced for 30/40k miles what do you expect ? it is french....

330Ci (Fail)Sport
You sure you're not looking at average speed?

I only ask in case you haven't made a typo in the title...

Roughly how many miles do you get to a full tank?

Audi A3

Revels - dont think it has he said its on 70k and due in 2k so guess he's going off the 72k/5year rule.

id say get it serviced, everything done properly, belts, oils, filters etc,

then try it

then it may be the lambda sensor that goes quite abit from the sounds of things on here

Black SportClio 182

I think thats best garyf, i have allthese problems and all i want to do was track it. loads of other probs to. Its deffo the MPG. on the computer £10 gets me between 30-47 miles always changes..
obviously when the petrol light comes on i fill up. Anyother tips im kinda new ro 182s..

Audi A3

£10 should get you a lot more than that mate maybe 60-70?

i average about 35 mpg and thats pottering around town and about 30 motorway miles.

I would be touching cloth every time I drove it if it was on 70k on the original belt!
Is it heating up to a proper temperature? needle at or just below half? If not you need to swap your thermostat. And as others have said investigate your lambda

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

reading between the lines, I'm going to say it's had a noisy dephaser, which was replaced, but at this point the timing was done wrong.

Black SportClio 182

it had a new cambelt and aux at 49348 miles that was in 2009.. thats the last service it had too.. the needle i litarly a mil over half way..

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Your oil will be like treacle, and all your filters will be blocked too. All of that is going to contribute. Sounds a completely abused example. I hope it was CHEAP, becuase you'll probably be changing the engine soon if you track that

Black SportClio 182

£4200. depahser whats that? the air filter was taken outby me and it seemed a little grey i banged it out and put it back in. in all truth what would you guys do ?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

:eek:

wow, thats TOP money for a 182 now, prob about double what I'd pay for a car thats gone 3 years without servicing

You need a proper service and get it on diagnostics to see what the ECU is doing/seeing

Black SportClio 182

Its really really really starting to f*** me off, i bought the car from a very well known high end car garage he said i have 3 month warrnty on it so now all the work i have to do myself. could you tell me how much a service would cost?

Get it a proper service mate, all the fluids, filters, get your timing checked. dephaser is the inlet cam pulley, they rattle when they're fooked

Black SportClio 182

see, i need this theres a grinding from the back wheele and my clutch is f**king hard a creaking. think iv beed done f**king over here

Its really really really starting to f*** me off, i bought the car from a very well known high end car garage he said i have 3 month warrnty on it so now all the work i have to do myself. could you tell me how much a service would cost?

Service etc as you probably won't need another dephaser. £500ish.

Take it somewhere good!! Fred/519/Rentech/Birchdown. This is the most important thing!!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

You sound like you dont known the first thing about looking after a car...

In all seriousness take it to Danny's place or fred@btm. Both very well thought of traders on here.

Lotus Elise

Service will be around £140. Cambelt and dephaser with standard service is around £700

Black SportClio 182
Im from gloucester i have no idea where these places are.. i obviously know how to look after a car but im sick of being told a million and 1 things i just wanna know the truth and problems and get it sorted.

Lotus Elise
Its hard to say what the problem is, could be cam timing, could be an accumulation of various things. Rentech are closest to you might be worth seeing them.