ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205 Endurance Racer Prototype

172 cup
you should really promote your self a bit better mate this build is awesome to say the least the quality and attention to detail is mega I'm sure loads of loads people would be knocking on ya door wanting work done

172 Cup
So come on then, spill the beans! What's your company mate? I'm genuinely interested if you're happy to tell us. :up:

Top work as always mate. :cool:

Ah, I was trying not to promote it too much as I didn't know whether that was allowed! My company is SaloonLibre and it's fabrication of pretty much any sort but mostly cages and arty things like exhausts and suspension bits. This is by far the biggest job I've had since setting up!

Outstanding work as always, are you the same Cameron from this 205 Sport Libre build too?
http://www.uphillracers.com/showthread.php?t=5673&highlight=Peugeot

Yep, that's me too! That was my own build but sadly setting up the workshop had to take priority. I'll probably come back and do something similar (but better) in the future as it's kinda unfinished business.

you should really promote your self a bit better mate this build is awesome to say the least the quality and attention to detail is mega I'm sure loads of loads people would be knocking on ya door wanting work done

Haha yeah self-promotion isn't really my thing (other than build threads like this) but I'm getting better at it. Just don't have much time to do it really!

172 Cup
Awesome thing! If it's for a customer, and such a bespoke build, do you have a contract to look after it forever, or similar?

That's all being worked out but yeah I'll be looking after it and doing race / event support. The idea is to make more of them so this is the demo car, but it's also entering some endurance races with 750MC and others.

172 Cup
Just a quick update.. the engine is in and the car is now on the ground!

33854473784_85d3a73689_z.jpg

33854471964_e056b9e869_z.jpg

33854469574_2c05ba3a4f_z.jpg

34312302330_1a2645ee38_z.jpg

I also got the first bit of bodywork back yesterday..

33854475444_af1e7f80ee_z.jpg

34656407796_3672a32ff9_z.jpg

I don't think that pic does it justice at all.. the contrast of blue and black looks unbelievable in person :hearteyes:

172 Cup
OK so actually it wasn't that the PRV was stuck open, it was completely missing! :fearscream:

The dodgy one (top) only has the spring fitted, no valve.. the bottom one is how it should look.

34180966593_6184cad2ce_k.jpg

Got the pump rebuilt now with the best bits from the two spares I picked up, and had 4 Bar oil pressure with the drill. Should have it running this afternoon. :cool:

172 Cup
Big news!

Here's how the car looked a couple of days ago.. pretty sad.. engine in bits.. tools everywhere.. oil everywhere.. chasing a problem which threatened to be a total nightmare but thankfully turned out to be relatively simple!

34873163592_c1616922f4_k.jpg

With that sorted I could get on with finishing the build, and yesterday I Instagrammed a sneaky preview of how it would look..

34873163302_e50a2dced2_k.jpg

But then today.. after moving 3 non-running cars out the way.. I pushed the car up to the front of the workshop..

34873157832_31262e8d1a_k.jpg

Then took it for its first (very short) test drive! :hearteyes:

35037417635_251793a5ce_k.jpg

It looks SO GOOD out in the sun. It looks nice in the pics but they just don't do the colour justice!

I'm still working out a problem with hesitation, which is stopping me from being able to drive it properly. Oh and there's no windows yet. I have a new set of injectors coming tomorrow which (I hope) should sort that out. I have a load of spares but tbh I don't know which ones are already dead, which are dying, and which will die soon, so it's best to just swap out the lot. Fingers crossed tomorrow I can have it running well enough to get some video footage!

172 Cup
I can't really comment on how much it has cost but the aim is to produce them for around the price of a similarly-equipped Caterham.

To update this.. the injectors made a small difference in that it was noticeably smoother, but it's still not running properly. When you stab the throttle it will gulp air and bog down, then when you lift off it will rev up, which makes driving it absolutely impossible. I have now changed MAP, ATS, VVT solenoid, coil pack, plugs and leads for known working ones from my 172 as they all had identical part numbers. Lambda, injectors, and CPS are now brand new, and I've checked the throttle pot to find that it's also fine; the only thing I haven't changed is the coolant temp but there's an output on the digi dash showing temps I would expect to see. Cam and ignition timing are still spot-on as far as I can tell from the timing marks and everything was built up as per Renault's process.

I spoke to Track & Road as I need to see what the ECU is reading to be able to diagnose the issue, but and he told me there's probably only 1 person in the country who could read the ECU to check live data and that's only a "maybe". Everything is proprietary and sealed specifically so teams can't mess with the mapping so it's designed to be restrictive! I'm going to check cam timing as a last resort on Monday but IMO the most likely cause is a wiring harness problem as it has gone through the stress of being removed, bundled up and stored, then re-fitted in a completely different layout. Checking the wiring could take me days and show up nothing, depending on the cause, so it's looking almost certain that all of the FR electronics will be ditched in favour of a DTA S60, new dash, and new harnesses.

Here's a video of the issue:

34276245933_434269eedc_b.jpg

In slightly happier news the rest of the build is pretty much finished, including the enormous spoiler!

34243086124_13a4a54526_k.jpg

34243087414_c1780a00a3_k.jpg

172 Cup
Just to add to the confusion: the engine apparently ran fine in the car before coming out. However, the cat brick in the manifold that was fitted was completely melted and rattling loose in the shell, and the Lambda sensor had also been damaged by it. That, coupled with the dead / dying injectors, suggests that it had a problem. However, because I didn't see the engine run before it came out the car, I don't know how the throttle response compared to how it is now - the engine runs perfectly smoothly until the throttle is opened when there's a definite hesitation.

172 Cup
Nope! I've had the inlet off more times than I could count and have checked both sections of the manifold for potential leaks, as well as the plenum cover, sensor holes, and the throttle body. It's a mass-density system (in that there's no AFM, only throttle position, MAP, IAT) so not sensitive enough to air leaks to cause this much of a problem.

SQ5
Have you tried it without the inlet hose attached, just having the throttle body as first entrance. That induction piping looks very restrictive

172 Cup
Have you tried it without the inlet hose attached, just having the throttle body as first entrance. That induction piping looks very restrictive

It has a 35mm restrictor plate behind the throttle body and the air hose is 76mm ID, so it should be just fine!
The nice thing about running DTA is it can be mapped without the restrictor if 190bhp doesn't seem like enough. :tonguewink: