ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2013 Formula One Quali and Practice Pictures

I went to the Formula One for the first time at the weekend. Gosh, those things are quick! I took 1200 pictures and kept less than 70. This made the BTCC feel like a walk in the park haha!

Go easy on me, this is about my 4th/5th attempt at panning and all of these were taken from the Abbey or Village stands on my Canon 600D with a 55-250mm lens.

Any criticism, comments and general feedback is welcomed as always.

Oh, and I wrote a blog on the day - I got my tickets for free through someone on Twitter which was amazing. Loads more pictures and the story on that here:

http://www.tomcash.co.uk/silverstone-f1-2013/

Anyway, enough waffle, here are my favourite pictures! Like I said, there are more on my website and even more via the Flickr link on the page above.

9177193740_0b452d1107_z.png

Daniel Ricciardo (Scuderia Toro Rosso) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

9174979475_0d287268d4_z.png

Mark Webber (Infiniti Red Bull Racing) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

9177164272_ff0d261903_z.png

Kimi Räikkönen (Lotus F1 Team) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

9174971559_44fdab3c5b_z.png

Felipe Massa (Scuderia Ferrari) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

9177156210_9e403e8c95_z.png

Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

9174972725_ba7689b7df_z.png

Charles Pic (Caterham F1 Team) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Tom.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Great shots Tom. Look pretty sharp too for that lens.

You have much trouble with the auto focusing on there? I know last time I attempted some panning, my lens was hunting for quite a while. Got very few decent shots.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Some really nice shots, mate. And (as said) nicely sharp considering the lens in use. Well done! My only criticism would be the framing on some of them. I'm no expert by any means(!) but I just feel that the framing is a little too tight on the car in some and the car too central in others. As I say, it's just a personal preference rather than poor photographs; they've come out great! :)

First and foremost, thanks everyone! Very rewarding to get such a response!!!

I'd be well chuffed if I had taken those mate. Great shots.
Thanks dude. I'm always my biggest critique!

Great shots Tom. Look pretty sharp too for that lens.

You have much trouble with the auto focusing on there? I know last time I attempted some panning, my lens was hunting for quite a while. Got very few decent shots.
Thanks man. I didn't actually. I've always found it to be as quick as I need it to be. It's, not yet, left me hanging. I use it a LOT too. I love using it for candid stuff as well as motorsport and aviation.

Great shots mate! It was a great weekend..
Cheers man. Yeah, race day was amazing. Would have loved to have been there!

Those are super lovely shots indeed!
Thanks dude!

They might actually be the best 'from the stand' pics I've seen!
Wow! Very flattering Mark, thank you. :D

Some nice shots there tom. 1 and 5 are my favourite, colours/sharpness is awesome!
Cheers dude!

Some really nice shots, mate. And (as said) nicely sharp considering the lens in use. Well done! My only criticism would be the framing on some of them. I'm no expert by any means(!) but I just feel that the framing is a little too tight on the car in some and the car too central in others. As I say, it's just a personal preference rather than poor photographs; they've come out great! :)
Thanks man, thanks for the feedback too. I think I agree on the most part too. Because I was in the same spot mostly, I didn't know what to do with my picture afterwards. I tried a few flat horizons but felt the diagonal approach made the cars look faster. Then I just ended up with loads of pictures at the same angle lol!!

I did try a few distant panning shots though - they worked better in Abbey:

9177187892_2071b340c2_z.png

Adrian Sutil (Sahara Force India F1 Team) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

9174980729_99ef091c69_z.png

Mark Webber (Infiniti Red Bull Racing) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

9177187892_2071b340c2_z.png

Adrian Sutil (Sahara Force India F1 Team) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

tom whats going on in this pic? are those steering wheels controlling R/c cars?
Haha yeah man. Looks like fun!