ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2012 MBP [speculation & educated guesses]

So, I've had my MBP a little less than 3 years, and fancy changing it when the new models are released.

What's the current status with substantiated rumours? Do we think there will be an external redesign this time around? It's about time IMO. I've read that Apple may consolidate the notebook range - doing away with the Air and Pro, instead opting for a single range of four models - 11", 13", 15" and 17". I've also heard that they may stop manufacturing the 17" altogether.

Thoughts?

EDIT: FYI RE: Coconut Battery-Off: 32 months, 296 cycles, 97%. Win.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone buy the 17", it's way too big.

Mines a year old now, really need something lighter but want to stick to 15" display.

I'd like a 15" lighter MBP, with 2 drives, 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD. An optical drive would be nice, but obviously adds to the size and weight so would happily do without.

Being lighter is a big issue though. I just find mine too heavy to carry around along with a folder full of papers.

Last edited:
Yeah I have the 17". Need it for work (resolution = screen space), plus it's nice for watching movies on when not at home.

I'd be gutted if they discontinued it. I also presume they will go 16:9 this time around, instead of 16:10. Although, I actually kinda prefer 16:10 for computers.

Recent rumours are removal of optical drive, SSD or hybrid, battery tech from the new iPad, thinner, retina displays and obviously the internals upgraded.

Further out there rumours are removal of the trackpad and making the whole of the wrist rest (is that what its called) the trackpad. I have to agree 16x10 is nicer for a computer use.

Optical drive I can do without (at a push), but I also hear that they may drop the ethernet port. That's a game changer for me. I use it all day, and I don't really fancy a USB adaptor.

Ph2 172
Yeah last set of rumors on Macrumors was that it would be thinner, but that it would effectively be too thin to have an Ethernet port, and hence users would need to use a USB adaptor.

I suppose as long as I can use a USB-Ethernet adaptor with Windows drivers, I'd make do. I almost exclusively use Windows at work at the moment, due to the necessary use of proprietary Windows-only software.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
They can't lose the ethernet port. It's not an option, surely.

A lot of users are students, a lot of students don't have access to wifi in halls.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
It would be stupid to remove the ethernet port, so many users would be upset, maybe apple are re-inventing the RJ45?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
If they do can it they'll just say if you want one use the USB adapter.

It's not as if they remove it you don't have any option for an ethernet port, just that it's not integrated.

Go cry to your momma!
I'll be updating my mid 2010 15" this refresh to whatever comes out 15" wise.

Really hope they keep the RJ45, a USB adapter would be a chore and if they don't go USB 3.0 it'll be slowww.

Does anyone buy the 17", it's way too big.

Mines a year old now, really need something lighter but want to stick to 15" display.

I'd like a 15" lighter MBP, with 2 drives, 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD. An optical drive would be nice, but obviously adds to the size and weight so would happily do without.

Being lighter is a big issue though. I just find mine too heavy to carry around along with a folder full of papers.

IIRC you can replace the optical drive for a SSD or a HDD on the current MBP

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
IIRC you can replace the optical drive for a SSD or a HDD on the current MBP

I have thought about this, I'm a bit concerned how it might effect apple care and it still doesn't solve the fact it is heavy. Which is more important to me than performance.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Really hope they keep the RJ45, a USB adapter would be a chore and if they don't go USB 3.0 it'll be slowww.

I'd guess if they did drop the RJ45 they would stick a USB 3.0 port in there somewhere.

And still don't see how it'd be much of a chore, so you have a small adapter you stick on the end of the cable you were plugging into the laptop anyway :)

I have thought about this, I'm a bit concerned how it might effect apple care and it still doesn't solve the fact it is heavy. Which is more important to me than performance.

It would probably would void the apple care,

I really don't think that my 15" MBP is that heavy, I rarely carry it about anyway or if I do it's only from my car into the house or to uni when I was there,

but compared to a MBA most computers will be heavy, the only thing about them is the screen Is too small, but even the MBP screen is abit small after a while

S3, Polo
I recall reading a rumour (last week) that suggested:
- No retina display. Only 180ppi.
- No optical drive/ Ethernet port or FireWire - only USB & TB.
- Wedge-shaped form factor
- Whole wrist area as a gestural area/ touch pad.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i have the 17", but its only 6 months old so i won't be upgrading, 17" compliments my MBA 11" though. In fact, since i've bought the MBP, i don't think i've used the MBA that much, its mainly my going on holiday laptop now, the 17" is surprisingly light and compact compared to what I've been used to with sony.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I would say that the 17" and 15" would probably get an extra usb port, keep the optical drive, get rid in 2013, have a retina display, some kind of coating on the key's to reduce the grease effect thing.

Golf GTD
Does anyone have an idea when the refreshed MBPs might be showing up (eg. like we can guess that the new iPhone will be out around Sept/Oct)

I'm hoping to get one soon but if a refresh is on the cards I might hold fire.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I read the other day that the new MacBooks have been delayed due to component shortage or something.

Rav4
The new samsung 8000 series has a USB ethernet port, it's somewhat annoying.

The 7000 series has a slightly re-designed ethernet port, where it's smaller, with a flap, but you can open the flap slightly to make it a full size.

Both of the above annoying.

Full trackpad across the base, I don't see how it could work.

I hope that if they do have a 13" MBP, that the resolution is increased.

Nevertheless, I am sure there will be some amazing technology included. Maybe even completely fan less.

Additionally, I hope you can run dual external screens with it (none ACD's) without requiring USB screens or something like a matrox dual head adaptor.

Let's see what they bring out.

All they then need to go is lower the price of their ACD's.

Nice.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Well any thunderbolt display could be daisy chained for multiple displays I thought. Or is the ACD the only thunderbolt display out?

Rav4
Well any thunderbolt display could be daisy chained for multiple displays I thought. Or is the ACD the only thunderbolt display out?

You can with the TB displays, but thats £1800 for two monitors. Or, use a couple of dells with no TB for £600 or so (depending on model)

But I want to be able to use 2 normal external monitors, directly through the MBP.