ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2009 GT-R vs. 997 Turbo on the autobahn (JDM as f**k presenter) [repost Police GTFO]

This is probably a repost, as it's really quite old. Quite interesting though, I think. These guys are doing some pretty lairy speeds in traffic, but they're mostly being reasonably sensible. Kinda. Don't expect any fireworks. It's hardly exciting. The 997 does get served by the GT-R though :evil:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Re: 2009 GT-R vs. 997 Turbo on the autobahn (JDM as f**k presenter) [repost Police G

GTR Looks pretty stable top end. I don't think it was that irresponsible, pretty quiet stretch of 'bahn by the looks of it!

Re: 2009 GT-R vs. 997 Turbo on the autobahn (JDM as f**k presenter) [repost Police G

Loving the noises the JDM guy makes when hes driving.

GTR Looks pretty stable top end. I don't think it was that irresponsible, pretty quiet stretch of 'bahn by the looks of it!

Yeah but at high speeds like that, every car or bike becomes a serious traffic hazard.

I'd happily take down a few cats in the pursuit of speed.

Not if you paid the bill to repair the car afterwards. I remember when I worked for BMW the decimation a bunny caused to a customers E36 M3 Evo when it went arse first through the bumper, rad etc at approximately 120 mph.

53 Clio's & counting

interesting, shocking how much quicker the GTR is at the top end if the 911 was flat out too

Yeah they should really be a match at the top end. In fact the 911 should have the smallest advantage. All being equal etc. Either way, they both really fast. 200mph on a good day.

53 Clio's & counting

Plenty fast enough for me! Though id love to see what yours would do on a good day Roy?

He wasn't talking about the car. Awkward....

53 Clio's & counting

Id like to think it would get the right side of 170 then mate :)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d

In the real world, on a bumpy M-Way I'd rather be maxing out the GT-R. Computers and 4WD would equal peace of mind, i think.

Yeah, the 911 Turbo is well known for being RWD and having no traction/stability systems so that's a good point Jason...

Trophy #490

They're just flawless. I've been lucky enough to drive a few astonishingly fast cars in the past few months (GT2 RS and the MP4-12C most notably) but the GT-R's feel (in 2012 spec) is on another level. That initial burst with help from its launch control is extraordinary. It weighs a lot, it's down on power to both, but the brutality of its acceleration is simply second to none. You can (if you wish) execute sub-three second sprints to 60 all day long without any grumbles from the car. Our press car had 20 journalists ragging its neck from 9am-3pm and many more before that day! Even fourth gear, from say 60mph, is unbelievable to witness at how it piles on the speed. A car that weighs 1800kg or so has no right to be as formidable as it is.

The handling's sensational, too. How anybody can call the car 'soulless' I have no idea, and have clearly never driven it properly. I thought it'd be a bit clinical, but it's the perfect amalgam of a performance car as you can genuinely use it everyday (the boot's huge, there's space inside, the seats are comfy, and the driving position's to die for), and then decimate 99% of cars on the road. Its never-ending capabilities don't detract from the special feel to it, either.

Here's a little feature I did after driving it: http://joshtimlin.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/2012-nissan-gt-r.html

And a photo of the 2012 press car:
017.jpg

Do we know what sort of speeds they were doing?

5-6k RPM in 6th in a GTR.. what does that equate to???

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Am I the only one that wasn't that surprised by the video?

Not a 320d

I know this GTR is a great car....It looks great, sounds great and goes like stink. Mechanically it ticks all the boxes etc.

Im not a fan of the interior but thats not what its about. Im also sick of seeing the two cars being compared. Like I give a f**k the porsche is slightly slower in a straight line, or doesnt handle quite as well.

Theres one problem with it.

nissan-badge.jpg

If I were in a position to buy either of these cars id take the Porka.

Though id be looking at a GT3 RS or a GT3 clubsport instead.

Turbos.

They're hard to compare because their revisions aren't year for year comparable. No doubt, when the GTR first came out it caught Porsche napping and destroyed the Gen 1 997 (as featured in the vid) when it came to performance, but then came the Gen 2 997 with PDK...i'd call it even, and of course there is the Turbo S.

Not read/seen/heard much about the 2012 GTR but i appreciate that it has moved on the game once again. However, i doubt Porsche will let themselves get mugged off so easily once they bolt a turbo onto the new 911...

Worth pointing out that the second time round the GTR didn't pull away that much, and that was with a slipstream. Clearly on that first drag the 911 driver lifted off.

Trophy #490

They're hard to compare because their revisions aren't year for year comparable. No doubt, when the GTR first came out it caught Porsche napping and destroyed the Gen 1 997 (as featured in the vid) when it came to performance, but then came the Gen 2 997 with PDK...i'd call it even, and of course there is the Turbo S.

Not read/seen/heard much about the 2012 GTR but i appreciate that it has moved on the game once again. However, i doubt Porsche will let themselves get mugged off so easily once they bolt a turbo onto the new 911...

Worth pointing out that the second time round the GTR didn't pull away that much, and that was with a slipstream. Clearly on that first drag the 911 driver lifted off.

I reckon they're also hard to compare due to their vast price differences, but then again they're pitted against each other so often, they've become natural rivals due to their similar performance. It's intriguing!

I found the 2012 GT-R to be much stronger past 4000rpm than the 2010 model I drove, but you also feel the extra power throughout its rev range so it's noticeably quicker. Not been in a Turbo S yet, but the GT2 RS felt just a little bit punchier (particularly in gear) than the GT-R did, so I'd love to see a head-to-head with those two. The GT-R would annihilate it off the line, though. Its launch control's brilliant; no drama or fuss, just unreal traction.

Looking forward to driving the 991.

I'm yet to drive a GTR but if it's anything like the Gallardo I had a run in which frankly left me feeling I'd rather be in a C2s then I suspect raw pace aside I'd feel something was missing.

FYI I'm not saying one way or the other which is the better car. It's just an interesting, and legal(ish) performance comparison between two amazing cars.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d

Yeah, the 911 Turbo is well known for being RWD and having no traction/stability systems so that's a good point Jason...

Yeah thought someone would turn what I say to form a sarcastic comment to make themselves feel a bit bigger...

Nice attempt at a backtrack there youth ;)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d

I literally only just remembered the 911 Turbo is 4wd. :eek: I think. Right? f**k porsche and their endless 911 variants.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I found this a decent performance test of just how good the GT-R is at punching above its weight.Ok the gallardo has it on the straits but its still bloody quick.Also next to the gallardo you realise how big/ugly it actually is.imo of course.

Last edited by a moderator: