ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2006 mk3 1.4 shocking mpg

monaco 172
Got the wife a mk3 2006 which is used for a 15 mile each way motorway journey capped at 60mph and it's returning about 35mpg which is way less than my 172.

Is this normal and the engine is just shocking? Or should I be looking at giving it a major service and probably a new lambda?

Title should say mpg lol and it's a 1.4 petrol

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Is that with you driving it at 60mph for 15 miles or the wife driving on the way to work ?

It could be anything..

Just a s**t heavy car with an underpowered engine. The 197s are awful on fuel.

Shocking driving.. maybe she drives everywhere at 5000rpm or just drives really inefficiently..

Brakes could be binding.

Could have had no servicing for 30,000 miles...

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
35mpg isn't shocking for that engine.

It's not made for fuel consumption. Try the diesel, that'll return mpg you're after.
Have you checked the official mpg numbers? Engines like you've got are made for city driving more than motorway

monaco 172
Fair enough.

I just expected more from a 1.4. I've been averaging 37 in my 172 and that's just a 5 mile commute no motorways.

But yeh the engine is really poor, should have got the diesel

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
The 172 is an enigma. I was also getting high 30s whatever I did. The engine combined to the fairly light weight means it does well

Rusty Cup
Yea lots of people online wondering why their 1.4 Clio returns poor mpg. On the plus side all that weight Is the result of safety happening, results are a 5 star euro ncap. Which is handy as you'll probably need to crash it to recoup the money lost in mpg?