ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 v 200cup

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Article in this months PC magazine. Interesting read. General conclusion that the standard 200 chassis is the better bet, unless you live on track. Better riding, more adjustable, and barely any slower on track.
The cup was 0.3s quicker on track. But, it was slightly quicker over all intervals in a straight line (presumably due to the weight loss?). So would a cup packed 200 be any quicker than a none packed 200 (equal weights?).

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Worth noting that PC test track is high-speed biased. On a twistier track the difference would probably have been greater. Still a very interesting read and a surprising conclusion. I think the Cup chassis would still be quicker on the FF200, although the difference would be less. Seemed like the oversteer meant they had to back off slightly on the non-Cup chassis.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Question is, is the lack of adjustability (relative), and the decreased ride comfort worth it for something marginally quicker, and only in certain circumstances? With the 182, and the 197 the cup chassis was a no brainer IMO. But I'm not so sure it is with the 200?

Need to drive both tbh. Had the chance at Oulton, but the R26r was available!

I like that its a harsh ride tbh, crap for the passanger but who cares. But i have the best of both worlds anyway.

White clique
I read this article with interest, usually mags jump a bit on the bandwagon and say the cup is the true drivers car etc, but I was pretty blown away by how much stiffer the set up is on the new cup vs older non cup 197, think it was 40% or something, which when I think about how firm my 197 seemed, must make the 200 cup a seriously crashy!

I wouldn't mind having a spin in a 200 just to see what all the fuss is about!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I feel intouch with the road, you feel everything.
I'm not looking to start a forum war, which any comparison thread will turn into lol, but that doesn't make sense to me.

An Elise rides very well, and the Evora (from what I've been told) rides better than a e90 330sport. And you wouldn't say that they lacked feedback?

As said, I need to have a go in them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I read this article with interest, usually mags jump a bit on the bandwagon and say the cup is the true drivers car etc, but I was pretty blown away by how much stiffer the set up is on the new cup vs older non cup 197, think it was 40% or something, which when I think about how firm my 197 seemed, must make the 200 cup a seriously crashy!

I wouldn't mind having a spin in a 200 just to see what all the fuss is about!
That's what I was thinking.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
I think the most important point is that the difference between Cup and non-Cup has been widened. Now it should be easier for people to make the right choice based on their needs. It would be interesting to drive the 200 Cup with an ultralight set of wheels. Reducing unsprung weight could really help the Cup chassis.

Another thing, it would be interesting to see if the non cup can be thrown around as much. Regarding the feedback, im not for a second saying that the elise lack it, im just saying that i like the amount you get from the 200. The cup is just tighter all round. Im sure a massive chunk of those bought would be the sport + cup pack to get the best of both.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ahhhhh. So maybe a runty 197 isnt so bad, as iirc the standard 200 is 20% softer than a 197.........?

;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ahhhhh. So maybe a runty 197 isnt so bad, as iirc the standard 200 is 20% softer than a 197.........?

;)
Still lacking imo. Power delivery and steering probably being the biggest problems. But we've been here before lol.

Probably the main reason I'd go for a cup'd 200 would be the quicker rack.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I could certainly tell the quicker rack in steves 200. Actual 'feel' is the same though imo. But it is hard, no doubt, i'd say the cup was as hard as my 197 on H&R's tbh!

GTD, Lupo
Biggest saving for me was £1400 :p by far the best reason to get a cup over a 200 or cup packed 200.

The ride of the cup really isnt that bad but then again i did come from a mk2 golf with coilovers minus the helper springs. The ride is spot on its just the british crappy roads that are bad.

Paul

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Biggest saving for me was £1400 :p by far the best reason to get a cup over a 200 or cup packed 200.

The ride of the cup really isnt that bad but then again i did come from a mk2 golf with coilovers minus the helper springs. The ride is spot on its just the british crappy roads that are bad.

Paul

This is also the reason we decided to go for the Cup as opposed to a "cupped" normal 200.

I've test drove both and tbh, didnt notice the Cups ride was any harder than the normal 200. Tbh though. They were only 20 min test drives.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I couldn't have a cup if I'm honest. The driving position doesn't suit me, the reach adjustment makes a big improvment IMO.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Its s**t on the motorway tho

I have to disagree totally, I drove 1000km in less than 10h (Ipswich to Lyon) with only minor stops in my 200 Cup, perfect for motorway cruising. Yes it's firm but the feedback is great.

It had to be a Cup for me when I drove both, standard suspension is to soft for enthusiastic driving:D

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
But if you add the Cup chassis to the non cup it starts looking like a pricey little car... Especially once you've added the 850 GBP Recaros!

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
To clarify:

£400 is to upgrade to cup chassis.

But £1000 is the price difference between Cup and non Cup 200.

PS 200
Was a serious question what is reach adjustment??

Paul
with the 200 you can pull the steering wheel nearer to yourself - better for aggressive cornering so you can save having to use your muscles too much while trying to stop the hedges from becoming part of your nose :).

Many believe that it's the only thing they took out of the cup that they would have been better leaving in.

It's not a problem if you're a short ar$e ;)

Short legs mean you can get nearer the wheel anyway :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Jasey said:
with the 200 you can pull the steering wheel nearer to yourself - better for aggressive cornering so you can save having to use your muscles too much while trying to stop the hedges from becoming part of your nose :).

Many believe that it's the only thing they took out of the cup that they would have been better leaving in.

It's not a problem if you're a short ar$e ;)

Short legs mean you can get nearer the wheel anyway :)

.....and a o/s temp guage, very annoying imo. Also a bit of a safety thing imo.......

GTD, Lupo
You all sound a little soft and old to me :D #in old man voice# "need my temp gauge" "owww its too hard". Cheers Jasey for explaining that. Guess i should stop taking the piss out my nan as she sits sooooooooooo close to the steering wheel, guess she is just saving muscles :D

Paul

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Oh dont get me wrong, i like em hard (ooo er), all my Clios have been H&R shod ;)

Just weirdly missed the temp guage whan in steves cup, nice to know when it dips near freezing, changing conditions and all that ;)

GTD, Lupo
Oh dont get me wrong, i like em hard (ooo er), all my Clios have been H&R shod ;)

Just weirdly missed the temp guage whan in steves cup, nice to know when it dips near freezing, changing conditions and all that ;)

Ello sailor!!!

Must admit i was a little gutted when the "how high has your temp gone" post went up.

Paul

I have to disagree totally, I drove 1000km in less than 10h (Ipswich to Lyon) with only minor stops in my 200 Cup, perfect for motorway cruising. Yes it's firm but the feedback is great.

It had to be a Cup for me when I drove both, standard suspension is to soft for enthusiastic driving:D

I dont really want to be in touch on a moto, i just slap cruise control on and wanna me comfy.
Anothing thing i would say is that i went for the 200 +cup as i wanted the gadgets, i cant be arsed with having 2 sticks on either side to move my mirrors etc lol. I wish i had gone for folding mirrors tho which i regret as my it would have helped.

As said i think either way you have a great feeling car, one for us youngsters and one for the older lot, my bro is 29 loves my car but couldnt put up with the ride but i spose he wants a saloon car now days for work.

PS 200
As said i think either way you have a great feeling car, one for us youngsters and one for the older lot, my bro is 29 loves my car but couldnt put up with the ride but i spose he wants a saloon car now days for work.
I'm 44 and love the 200 ride.

It's like a workout all that bouncing around :D