ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 Cup insurance cheaper than my 182 insurance!?

1eight2
So i've been contemplating a 200 recently but i'm put off due to having a few points on my license :clown:

I currently pay just under £2000 for my 182 TPFT
I've recently got quotes for a 200 Cup fully comp - approx 15000k value and they range from £1700-1900

Any reason why!?

RS200 & PH2 172
I've got a 1 litre aygo at moment... £460 fully comp..... Brand new clio RS200FF £561 fully comp, how do they work that?? Aygo will do 90 flat out and who would honestly steal one...... I don't get it!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've got a 1 litre aygo at moment... £460 fully comp..... Brand new clio RS200FF £561 fully comp, how do they work that?? Aygo will do 90 flat out and who would honestly steal one...... I don't get it!

I fix 5 Aygos to every 1 R.S Clio. (Random numbers but you see my point)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Insurance is about statistics amongst other things. They don't pluck numbers out of thin air.

Newer car - better safety - insurance grouping - cost and availability of parts for a 5+ year old car is more than one they're still manufacturing...

Plus, when you call them up, they just have one big button on their keyboard labelled "random number generator" and that's the price you get :rasp:

My insurance went down from £1200 to £850 when I moved over to the 200 Cup. It was then raised £11 when I went back to a Ph1.

Would I be right to say that insurance may be cheaper due to less claims, little chavvys cant afford them and they're brand new so are less likely to fall apart??

You've got a 200 worth £15mil?

FLOL!

I thought it was to do with crash statistics, the 182 has recently gone up hugely in terms of cost to insure, everyone I talk to has said they have gone up! Possibly due to the price of them going down so more morons buy and inevitably crash them!

GTD, Lupo
When i got my 200 Silverstone i was told it was cheaper to insure than my old 200 Cup. Was told that this was because statistically less Silverstones had been crashed than 200 Cups. Is this true?

Golf GTD Mk7
So i've been contemplating a 200 recently but i'm put off due to having a few points on my license :clown:

I've recently got quotes for a 200 Cup fully comp - approx 15000k value and they range from £1700-1900

Any reason why!?

You pay how much for your 182 :eek: how old are you? It will most likely be down do safety, plus the fact that 1*2's are reducing in price and the individuals who buy them tend to chav them up and crash them. Honestly the amount of 1*2's you see being broken now is shocking.

320d
When i got my 200 Silverstone i was told it was cheaper to insure than my old 200 Cup. Was told that this was because statistically less Silverstones had been crashed than 200 Cups. Is this true?

Well I'd presume so considering only 50 Silverstones were made.....

clio
My r27 was more than a normal 197. I assume a total write off would be more expensive to replace as theres less to choose from. Having said that mate of mine had an s5 a few yrs back when new and was only 1500 to insure at 25. Not many young s5 drivers had crashed statistically I guess

Any reason why!?

Stereotypically (and can you suggest a better way to individually evaluate the risk of all however-many-million motorists in the UK?) the sort of person who buys a brand new (or nearly new) car takes more care of it & is a "more respectable citizen" than someone who's just bought a 7 year old clio for a couple of k. Newer cars are more difficult to nick. Likewise in most cases the attitude/age/proffession of people able to afford brand new cars dictates that they aren't going to be wheelspinning around a Halfords carpark at 2am.

Insurance is as much about judging the type of person they're insuring as anything else.

Why do you think they ask you your proffesion? Going by an online form or phone call who's more "respectable," less likely to get into trouble and less likely to be "out at night?" A university educated, office-job'd, absolute minimum 26k salary, mechanical engineer or a BTEC, white-van-man, 15k tradesman engineer?

275 Trophy
^^ it's this over analising of the satistics of car insurance that boils my piss. Where will it end? Why don't the people with the least chance of making a claim get free insurance, if, those that WILL make a claim have to pay so much?

I know what Gally and others might say about it not being random, and I agree; it's a very clever way of getting a lot of money out of cash strapped drivers, who have no choice but to buy their products under pain of the law, backed up by their own tax-payer funded enforcement service.

The governement need to get a grip of the car insurance industry because it's out of control.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
^^ it's this over analising of the satistics of car insurance that boils my piss. Where will it end? Why don't the people with the least chance of making a claim get free insurance, if, those that WILL make a claim have to pay so much?

I know what Gally and others might say about it not being random, and I agree; it's a very clever way of getting a lot of money out of cash strapped drivers, who have no choice but to buy their products under pain of the law, backed up by their own tax-payer funded enforcement service.

The governement need to get a grip of the car insurance industry because it's out of control.

FPMSL! Sell your 172 and buy a 1.1 Fiesta! Don't blame a business for making money.

iv just sold my 200, valued at 21k, every optional extra reno did, all decalred, £1190 to insure, now have a 182 valued at 5k and its £1090, to be honest was expecting it to be allot cheaper

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
iv just sold my 200, valued at 21k, every optional extra reno did, all decalred, £1190 to insure, now have a 182 valued at 5k and its £1090, to be honest was expecting it to be allot cheaper

Why? The cost of the car is not that great in the entire cost of a claim.

182cup & 172 racecar
Third Party Fire and Theft, is quite often more than fully comp, so you are not doing a like for like comparison are you.

Oh and fk paying that much to insure a car, esp a clio.