ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 Cup gearbox / clutch noise?

Clio Sport 200 Cup
hi guys, have been driving my car for about 3 months now. my boyfriend drove the car yesterday and says he thinks theres a noise coming from my clutch / release bearing? is there a known problem with these? the cars only done 11K!! :(
ive also noticed that quite often the car likes to jump around when i let the clutch out for first gear.

im new to the forum, can anyone advise me on what the common issues on these are?

thanks guys, love ya ;)

charlotte

197 cup
if the gears jumpin a little bit then itll just be the gear engaging and diesengaging nt to worry

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I think it was a common problem with the earlier cars, as in the 172's and 182's. My 172 squeals quite a lot for the first few minutes of driving sometimes. Unfortunately I am not sure if its a common problem but you must still have warranty so I would pop back to Renault and get it checked.

if the gears jumpin a little bit then itll just be the gear engaging and diesengaging nt to worry

^^ Don't really get what you mean, if the gear is selected and the clutch is released how will it engage and disengage the gear?

Clio Sport 200 Cup
the noise sounds like a realease bearing apparently. the noise goes away when you dip the clutch.
the noise is really obvious when you drive down an enclosed road with the window down so you can hear the car, i dont know if its just common for the gearbox to be this noisy?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I don't know then I'm afraid! Mine doesn't sound like that, mine is a squeal, almost like a fan belt slipping. But mine is also a different car and much older.

Tbh a metal scraping / grinding noise is not great. Hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable than me can help. Posting a video of it up might be helpful, if you can get a decent one! Make sure all your fluids are how they should be, oil level gearbox oil etc... and don't really on the warning lights for this, check it manually with the dip stick etc... (warning light usually = too late)

Your best bet is probably a visit to Renault, it has warranty and this sort of thing is what its for. Also they check it and say its fine and then 5 days later the gearbox dies you can go back and tell them they gave it the all clear!!

Renault Clio Sport 182
the noise sounds like a realease bearing apparently. the noise goes away when you dip the clutch.
the noise is really obvious when you drive down an enclosed road with the window down so you can hear the car, i dont know if its just common for the gearbox to be this noisy?

Hi Lottie,

I think I may have the same problem as you. I believe it's the bearings on the gearbox- apparently an expensive problem to fix (have to strip out the gearbox to get in and fix it). You are just lucky your car is still under warranty- I am looking at a bill of £600-£800

Clio Sport 200 Cup
do you know which bearings they are? am going into renault next week and need all the ammunition i can get!!!

Abarth 500 Essesse
I can assure you Renault will not admit it's a fault unless it effects the day to day driving of the vehicle. That's how they were with me, mine makes a noise when changing gear at high revs (when you disengage the clutch to change gear you hear a slight grinding noise similar to a release bearing going) It's got no worse over the last 6k though, so i'm unsure what it is tbh

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I can assure you Renault will not admit it's a fault unless it effects the day to day driving of the vehicle. That's how they were with me, mine makes a noise when changing gear at high revs (when you disengage the clutch to change gear you hear a slight grinding noise similar to a release bearing going) It's got no worse over the last 6k though, so i'm unsure what it is tbh

This is the problem with a lot of things, not just cars. But you need to still take it to Renault, make a point of it. Tell them you want written confirmation that its okay, or at least a receipt, showing they have checked it. That way if/when it goes even if its then out of warranty you should still be covered if the problem becomes worse and you have flagged it up in the warranty.

Abarth 500 Essesse
This is the problem with a lot of things, not just cars. But you need to still take it to Renault, make a point of it. Tell them you want written confirmation that its okay, or at least a receipt, showing they have checked it. That way if/when it goes even if its then out of warranty you should still be covered if the problem becomes worse and you have flagged it up in the warranty.

Exactly why I took it in to make the point about it. ;)

Clio RS200
I know it's an old thread and not sure if your still active but in one of your posts I can see you mention a weird noice when changing gear in the rs200. Just wondering if it caused you any problems as mine does the same. My fear is gear box problems.

thanks sam