ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1st time with clay

Renault Clio 182FF + Cup
Used clay for the first time today. Worked well, I brought a kit including clay, microfibre towel and detailing spray.
Just one question... should I have used more of the spray in one session?
Any recommendations for which spray works best?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
You can use as much spray as you want just as long the surface is wet or you'll damage the surface

172 Cup
Meh!

Totally fooked my paint claying a couple of weeks back, is it possible to over lube?

Megs last touch, perfectly slippery, and can be diluted. Got two bottles made up before each detail, one 1:5, one 1:2.

Claying is surprisingly easy to bugger up and can really do some damage, leaving marks in the paint. I would suggest all newbies talk it through on here and do a search on youtube/DW for videos on the action required.

Renault Clio 182FF + Cup
I'm impressed with the results, and shocked at the much that ended up in the clay. I was using Megs QD, was affraid of not keeping it moist enough hence using loads. Doing 1 panel at a time and wiping away the excess with the towel once done.

Got a right moan of the missus about spending 4 hours washing my car, it was worth it.

Just to make sure mate, as it seems a common mis conception;

wash, clay, polish, protect.

Your paint work is really bare once you have clayed it, so you need to polish out the marks it has left and then protect it, so you don't need to remove the build up again.

edit; damn you Justine!