ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1st gear a pita to select

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Recentley picked up a clio cup for a daily hack that olivia can trickle to work in amd the dog can get thrown in the back.

Not being very mechanically minded i took a chance with the car knowing that the 1st gear was "knotchy"

Anyway car has been great for the few weeks we have owned it apart from the 1st gear issue.

It never goes in 1st straight away and often needs moved into a few gears with clutch in to get it in gear.

Whats the most common fault to cause this?? I am hoping its not a gearbox issue more something to do with the linkage?!
all other gears are fine and nice and tight for a 77k car.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
First check the play in the elbow joint at the gearbox. If it's not significant, try to realign the gear linkage under the car.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Same happened with mine.

Syncro finally let go a month later. Do you have a credit card or savings?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wouldn't be to worried unless its proper bad tbh. All mine have been crap.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
First check the play in the elbow joint at the gearbox. If it's not significant, try to realign the gear linkage under the car.

Ok thank will have a look.

Same happened with mine.

Syncro finally let go a month later. Do you have a credit card or savings?

FFS

I wouldn't be to worried unless its proper bad tbh. All mine have been crap.

Well the missus does seem to have got used to it and has stopped twining ...