ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 vs 200

RB 182 195bhp
As the prices of 200's seem to be dropping a little recently, I was just wondering if other than the visual things there is much difference between the 197 and 200. I think I read somewhere the 200 has more mid range punch? Not sure though

I never been in a 197 or a 200 so im going by what i've read. which is the 197 has a flatspot usually from 1500-3000rpm.
I hear a few things here and there about the 200 but i've never seen anyone have any problems with the two apart from MPG lol. Have a search and a quick little read :)

megane 285 sport
200 has slightly more torque mid range, suspose to slightly better on mpg too, the 200 cup/pack suspension is stiffer than 197 cup/pack but the 200FF suspension is softer the 197FF.

R56 JCW
^ As VXR says.
I have driven a friends 197 without cup chassis, and compared it to my 200 with cup chassis - there is a difference with more torque mid range and has more of a kick at 5krpm.

Steering is also quicker with the cup pack as they have quicker steering racks, and also, prove to be quicker on track.

MPG? they're both the same - woeful for the performance. but oh well, that isn't the reason you buy these cars.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
200 was given a quicker steering rack, the cup and cup packed (ff) cars were given stiffer springs and dampers and there was a map for slightly more low down torque.

Apart from that (and the ugly front end) they're the same.

Same flat spot
same mpg
same gearbox (57 onwards)
same s**t material on the recaros

id just go for the best spec you can find/afford be it a 197 or 200

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
200 was given a quicker steering rack, the cup and cup packed (ff) cars were given stiffer springs and dampers and there was a map for slightly more low down torque.

Apart from that (and the ugly front end) they're the same.

Same flat spot
same mpg
same gearbox (57 onwards)
same s**t material on the recaros

id just go for the best spec you can find/afford be it a 197 or 200

Yeah, the 197's are ugly arne;t they? ;)

I happen the think 197's from a distance look too similar to 1.2's. Especially if they have no spoiler, don't think my mum would be able to tell the difference.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I must admit. I confuse all RS clios with non sports unless they're blatantly an RS (ly, ag, inferno, rb, cup spoiler etc)

if I see a dull coloured/low spec RS on the road I do occasionally mistake them for non sports.

​I mistake ph2 mk3s for 200s more though because of the lights and black bit

S2H

RS Clio 200
You forgot the gearing is shorter and more aggressive in the 200. And Knuckles the flat spot definitely isn't as bad.

S2H

RS Clio 200
Yep....

cliowiki_zps6ce99693.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/renault/clio/first-drives/renault-clio-renaultsport-200-cup
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives...-drives/RenaultSport-Clio-197200-2009---2012/ etc...

RB 182 195bhp
So there isn't a lot in engine difference then? I keep flirting with the idea of a 197, but keep putting myself off. I just don't want it to feel slower than my 172 cup. I would have to go cup packed, so chassis would be good in either 197 or 200 I'm sure, just undecided tbh

RB 182 195bhp
I want something a little newer and up to date, but I also want more low down urge and ideally a little more pace than mine, I know the 197's are no faster in a straight line, but the chassis tweaks would be nice, I think im just worried the 197 won't deliver on my hopes and be slower than what I have atm

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It won't feel as brutal, that's for sure. That said, i still rate mine 3 years down the line.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I want something a little newer and up to date, but I also want more low down urge and ideally a little more pace than mine, I know the 197's are no faster in a straight line, but the chassis tweaks would be nice, I think im just worried the 197 won't deliver on my hopes and be slower than what I have atm

Its a more mature version of what you have now, much more refined. It will feel heavier and perhaps slower, but its not.

Much like when going 100mph in a BMW 3 Series, it feels slow. Doing that in your 172 would feel like the cars falling apart and you're going really fast.

RB 182 195bhp
Hmm, will it feel as exciting though? Or will it be more dull? I don't want to be bored of it within a week lol. Also considered an ep3 type r, the only thing that puts me off is how common they are really

megane 285 sport

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yup, after the initial gearbox revision they're all the same.

Id hate to drive an early 197 as I find myself changing gear enough as it is

i had a quick go of a friends 200 and I noticed no difference whatsoever. Bar the noise as his exhaust was louder

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Is it a problem for you if it is slower?

I went from a 172 Cup to a 200, it didn't feel as fast and required far more commitment to experience the same fun levels - more grip/composure so a higher speed needed to get it moving about.

On trackdays I had no trouble staying with 172/182s down the straights so them actually being slower is a bit of a myth in my opinion.

Ultimately though it is a 'better' car.

How you define 'better' will determine if you should make the move or not. Nothing else matters.