ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 v 182 v 172 etc etc

Peddled device
I've owned a 172 Cup and now have a 182 Cup.Theres nothing in it for day-to-day driving IMHO.The 182 is safer with the ABS/ESP etc but thats about it.

So,after reading all the topics about 197's v 182 Cup's v 172 FF etc etc etc am l right in saying that with the same driver,all cars being standard,same fuel (lets not go there again!) and same roads theres sod all in it ?

Except the Recaros in the Trophy of course ;)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
thered be VERY little in it, down a drag strip id have it pitched thus:

My Williams :rasp:
172 cup
172 ph1
182 Trophy
182 cup
172 ph2
197 cup
197 r27

ish, that'll no doubt kick up a ruckus but based on printed figures, and my own experiences, thats how id lay my money down.

its by no means gospel before you all start.

Peddled device
I'd have it...

182 Cup
172 Cup

Where are the others........?

Hang on.....

172 Ph1

182 Trophy

Oh...l can't hang around.I'm off for a burger

;)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
182cup over a 172 cup? thats wrong.

its just cuz he drives one, its 182 cup drivers in general, you just have to humour them in the end.

no doubt he feels cheated everytime he realises he didnt even get an RS steering wheel :dapprove:

:clown:

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i must admit love to see a 172 cup go faster! i have a soft spot for the cup as a sort of under dog now that the newer models are out.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
lol, aye, its shocking.

seriously tho, the 182 really is the most half baked, silliest RS produced, pure marketing ploy.

i hear some people even brought it in 'Renault Rust Metallic' too.

shambles, absolute shambles...

Peddled device
lol, aye, its shocking.

seriously tho, the 182 really is the most half baked, silliest RS produced, pure marketing ploy.

i hear some people even brought it in 'Renault Rust Metallic' too.

shambles, absolute shambles...

LOL

I bought my 182 Cup after loving my 172 Cup soooo much.Just wanted ABS (Which the 172 Cup DOES need) and loved RB with the stripe and darker alloys.

But the 182 Cup interior is a little bland for sure.Performance wise theres nothing in it IMHO.Yes...maybe to 60 on a dry track the 172 Cup is quicker...but hey!...l love the 172 Cup so good on it! :)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
defos, i miss my 172 cup alot more than i miss my ex, and my ex gave far better blowjobs.

only ever really needed the abs once...

...i ended up having a new bonnet, o/s headlamp cluster and a new front bumper.

Peddled device
defos, i miss my 172 cup alot more than i miss my ex, and my ex gave far better blowjobs.

only ever really needed the abs once...

...i ended up having a new bonnet, o/s headlamp cluster and a new front bumper.

lol

Yeah...GF's come and go.....but you really remember a good car !

Renaultsport Clio 197
r27 would be faster on a track than a 172 cup

172 cup is faster "around town (straight line, off the lighst etc)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
r27 would be faster on a track than a 172 cup

172 cup is faster "around town (straight line, off the lighst etc)

it corners better, but 172 would be quicker out of the bends and would probably outbrake the r27, so i rekon thered be bugger all in it tbh.

meg1.6
very much doubt a 172cup will outbrake a R27, my FF197+cup pack out brakes our 172cup(well the 172cup is the misses, i get to play with both worlds muahahaha)

BMW M3
So basically, what we are saying is..... you want a standard 182 with cup add ons, on sportline suspension and tuned to compete with the fastest cliosports..... so mine then ;)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
well the 172 has the advantage in power to wieght ratio, plus has slightly longer gearing, where as the r27 has the grip advantage.

i maintain thered be nothing in it though, i just cant see how a 197 qould be quicker round a track.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Id say there would be hardly anything in them at all - would depend on how quick the driver changes gear more than anything they all must have identical power to weight!

Golf GTI PP Mk7
172 cup = 168bhp/ton (1021kg)
197 R27 = 161bhp/ton (1240kg)

plus weve got to remember that r27's arent making 197bhp, whereas alot of 172 cups are hitting 175 bhp, which would skew those figures a bit more.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Being honest though i think we all know what wed rather drive given the choice. Would be 197 for me everytime interior is a nicer place to be, a little bit roomier.

Not convinced on the 172/182 outbraking a 197 either, dont 197's have brembo 4 pots?

This is from a 182 owner with cup suspension btw.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
yeah id have the r27 anyday, much more refined car.

yeah the 197 has the brembos, could well help i suppose.

C63 AMG
You're all wrong. Me in my Trophy on the Evo Triangle, or my own Brecon Loop, would leave an R26. This had happened quite a few times.

It is NOT the car that is fast - it is the driver. In fact, on the Buttertubs pass an F430 in front would not shake me.

If you don't believe me, join me on a road trip one day.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
you mean r27?

there are some drivers on here that would spank you with your own severed limbs (MarkCup).

evidently the f430 driver was pants, lol.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
so youve got 7 posts, and your straight in here claming to be david coulthard?

i havnt seen you drive, correct. I've no doubt your a fabulous driver, and the trophy is a very capable car, but modesty goes a long way.

http://youtube.com/user/MarkCup70

Last edited:
  C63 AMG
That makes me laugh; the logic of fiercely territorial types. 'More posts means more credibility'.

I am basing my statements on my experience on Britain's roads, not by the size of my post count number.

But more importantly. I get irate by people arguing the toss over the 172/182/197 because ultimately the car is not going to win out if the driver is incompetent. MarkCup may be a better driver than I, but for you to claim he will 'spank me with my own severed limbs' is frankly ridiculous. Especially since a) your conclusion is predicated on my post count and b) you've never actually seen me drive.

But I have put a 182 in a river [lol].

Golf GTI PP Mk7
That makes me laugh; the logic of fiercely territorial types. 'More posts means more credibility'.

I am basing my statements on my experience on Britain's roads, not by the size of my post count number.

But more importantly. I get irate by people arguing the toss over the 172/182/197 because ultimately the car is not going to win out if the driver is incompetent. MarkCup may be a better driver than I, but for you to claim he will 'spank me with my own severed limbs' is frankly ridiculous. Especially since a) your conclusion is predicated on my post count and b) you've never actually seen me drive.

and c) severing someones limbs is very illegal, quite painful, and frankly uncalled for.

yeah i take ur point the driver is the main factor, my 172 was always capable of far more than I am, as is my williams, i never 'really' push to the limit cuz i dont like the idea of finding where that limit is, lol.

C63 AMG
I found the limit of a 182 on a greasy, narrow unclassifed deep in Snowdonia at...45mph. Upon reflection it may have had something to do with the front tyres having a little more than 2mm of tread.

I now change my tyres at about 3mm of tread.

clio trophy No56
At some point when i had my FF182 i beat all the above by about 1to2 car lengths in a straight line, but that said ive had the same done to me by them all apart from the 197, totally down to the driver.
Havent had a chance to try in my Trophy yet, since i bought it i havent seen any clios on the road going in the same direction as me.

Peddled device

You mis-read what l asked...and that was about the cars with ecerything else being the same (ie driver,fuel,road etc etc etc etc etc etc) !

I'd love to see a vid of you keeping up up with an F430 whilst driving a Trophy.Sounds like you also read 'that' copy of Evo !

C63 AMG
I read your original post, but I was referring to some of the ridiculous arguments I've heard from some people about which is best. And the point I was making was that I can show an R26 up - a car with 227bhp at least - on a twisty road in North Wales. The R26 has a LSD for god's sake!!

All things being equal there's nothing in it. The main difference between a 197 and a 182/172 today is that you can buy a 197 brand new and spec it yourself.