ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 turbo?

197 FF + 370bhp Cupa K1
Is it just me or is the 197 lacking in the power department? I know its quick and the cup set up on my clio does a really good job at making fast driving manageable. Torque is nowhere to be found and the 5k kick should be a kick to the head not a tap in the shins.I think this car should have had the turbo lump out of the meg. (although from renaults view they would never sell another meg) The braking system could handle it. Really quick too I should imagine. Has anyone done it? do other owners think it would work?

Ly meg R26
it might work? but to be honest, it you wanted that kick a turbo gives, maybe you should of got a meg

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
how long have you had your 197 wuffin?

yeah, i don't think we will see a turbo 197 since that is left to the megane. would be awesome though.

197 FF + 370bhp Cupa K1
I dont want a meg really, i love the 197 and think it has more potential. With the right damper set up and more torque it would slaughter a meg. imho.

197 FF + 370bhp Cupa K1
how long have you had your 197 wuffin?

yeah, i don't think we will see a turbo 197 since that is left to the megane. would be awesome though.

Only had it 3 weeks! It doesnt help that I work for Revo Technik either, we do loads of big turbo cars but i could never afford most of them! I need the same thing on a budget and the 197 cant be beaten for the price. imo. I think the car is great for a standard car and think it could handle more! it could be awesome, not just good!

you never know, you may see one:D !

If you come out of a 182 or 172 and into the 197 it surely feels not as quick. Must be the extra weight as dyno tests seem to bear out the claimed power. Hopefully a turbo conversion from the tuners will be on offer soon.

ITB'd MK1
Must be the extra weight as dyno tests seem to bear out the claimed power.

extra power is only right at the top of the rev range. For nearly the whole range the power is identical between a stock 182 and a stock 197. You just get a little peak. The 197 chassis is amazing though. I think a 225 lump dropped in would be superb personally

1.8 8v RSi
to be fair if you stripped the 197 cup out a lot you would probably find that extra power your searching for.
also correct me if im wrong but front wheel drive cars can only handle 230bhp(deppending on there weight?) then they start to loose traction and more power becomes impossible to put down especially in the corners. i could be wrong but im sure ive heard it on 5th gear or something.

197 FF + 370bhp Cupa K1
Uprated diff and so on and you can put down alot more than 200, you can get loads of spin in low gears but if you are driving quickly then its no problem. infact, f1 teams optimum launch control spin is 27% so that should tell you something.

If your even thinking of a spending the best part of 6k on a turbo conversion on top of what you paid for a new 197 then you bought the wrong car mate.

leon

it could happen in the future.

but u'll have to wait for the current Meg to go out of production, and a new shape one arriving pushing maybe around 270 before a 197 will get a turbo upgrade.

no way would renault let the clio step on the toes of the meg.

ITB'd MK1
to be fair if you stripped the 197 cup out a lot you would probably find that extra power your searching for.
got a point I guess, wont make it faster than a stripped 182 though ;)

also correct me if im wrong but front wheel drive cars can only handle 230bhp(deppending on there weight?) then they start to loose traction and more power becomes impossible to put down especially in the corners. i could be wrong but im sure ive heard it on 5th gear or something.

I wouldn't believe that entirely, there's quite a few cars with around and in excess of 250bhp through the front wheels as standard now.

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
My mum's '07 Leon Cupra puts down it's 247bhp very well - awesome engine that 2.0 FSI lump.

I reckon the next RS Clio will have a turbo if only to help with the CO2/fuel. Will probably be a 1.6 engine though rather than the Meg lump. That 197 engine is getting long in the tooth now. 8 years old basically, and 25mpg on a sub 200bhp engine with bugger all torque is not acceptible these days compared to the new JDM CTR's figures and the lack of lag on modern variable geometry turbo engines.

TBH - for the money - I'd have a got the old shape Leon Cupra R over a 197 if you want proper power. As you know the REVO remaps on the 225's give about 270bhp and 270lbft torque-ish. Chassis is pish though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Again more front wheel power and more understeer???

I hate to use the old cliche but theres no substitute for cubic capacity, and when you start upgrading power at what point do you do the brakes, very expensive game trying to get the most from a n/a car.

The braking system could handle it. Really quick too I should imagine. Has anyone done it? do other owners think it would work?
Brakes are the same as ther megan so can hande it no trouble.

No one has turboed it yet I think ktec are going to do one but there still quite expensive for people to do give it a bit and there will be a few.

Would it work well no the prblem is the box is to short ratioed realy to make best use of it plus its not that strong a box its near its limits alreadyn IMo better off with another engine.
wheel drive cars can only handle 230bhp(deppending on there weight?) then they start to loose traction and more power becomes impossible to put down especially in the corners. i could be wrong but im sure ive heard it on 5th gear or something.
Cars can handly way more 900hp + its depends on the drivers foot you can spin the whel on any car with enough power. the original 230hp is wasted in fwd isn't true these days with modern sertups which help ith power.
infact, f1 teams optimum launch control spin is 27% so that should tell you something.
Tells me they don't drive Clios there as far removed from our cars as you can be.