ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 rr results

SMURF!!!
Right, not able to upload the actual graphs and table yet - havent got a scanner so will take a picture and do it that way....

Anyway, it wasn't put on a rolling road but them things that clamp onto the hubs (wheels taken off), so some say a more accurate reading and therefore lower than what it would show on a rr.

The car had done just over 2k which a lot of people have said its not run in properly etc etc and is totally standard, so results SHOULD be down..

OK ready?......

At the hubs it gave out a reading of 158.5 bhp and 131.7 lb/ft. The guys at Torque Developments in essex said that realistically on the road my car was therefore giving out 192 bhp.....

Not quite the same as the bf meggy which gave out something like 250 bhp, but then it is a meggy.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Right, not able to upload the actual graphs and table yet - havent got a scanner so will take a picture and do it that way....

Anyway, it wasn't put on a rolling road but them things that clamp onto the hubs (wheels taken off), so some say a more accurate reading and therefore lower than what it would show on a rr.

The car had done just over 2k which a lot of people have said its not run in properly etc etc and is totally standard, so results SHOULD be down..

OK ready?......

At the hubs it gave out a reading of 158.5 bhp and 131.7 lb/ft. The guys at Torque Developments in essex said that realistically on the road my car was therefore giving out 192 bhp.....

Not quite the same as the bf meggy which gave out something like 250 bhp, but then it is a meggy.

The normally accepted figure for a FWD car for "transmission" losses, ie getting the power from the flywhhel to the road, is 15%. Including losses in the tyres. Bolting the chassis dyno up to the hubs rather than transmitting the power through the tyres to a roller should produce a HIGHER wheel-horsepower figure because you're eliminating one of the places where power is lost. So with that dyno power losses should be lower than 15%, perhaps 13%.

Them saying that engine that is producing 192 bhp at the flywheel is producing 158.5 bhp on their dyno means they are assuming power losses of 17.5%. Which is about right for a RWD car including losses in the tyres. Making the CORRECT adjustment for a FWD car your measured 158.5 bhp is at most 186 bhp (189 ps) at the flywheel. And allowing for the fact they eliminated tyre losses its lower than that, more like 180-182 bhp (183-185 ps).

Gees, its just arithmetic.

Based on what's posted on this forum you have wonder if there's anyone out there operating a dyno who has the basic arithmetic skills and understanding of the device they are using to do the job competently, and the honesty to tell their customers the truth, rather than what they want to hear.

Last edited:
  VaVa

OK ready?......

The normally accepted figure for a FWD car for "transmission" losses, ie getting the power from the flywhhel to the road, is 15%. Including losses in the tyres. Bolting the chassis dyno up to the hubs rather than transmitting the power through the tyres to a roller should produce a HIGHER wheel-horsepower figure because you're eliminating one of the places where power is lost. So with that dyno power losses should be lower than 15%, perhaps 13%.

Them saying that engine that is producing 192 bhp at the flywheel is producing 158.5 bhp on their dyno means they are assuming power losses of 17.5%. Which is about right for a RWD car including losses in the tyres. Making the CORRECT adjustment for a FWD car your measured 158.5 bhp is at most 186 bhp (189 ps) at the flywheel. And allowing for the fact they eliminated tyre losses its lower than that, more like 180-182 bhp (183-185 ps).

Gees, its just arithmetic.

Based on what's posted on this forum you have wonder if there's anyone out there operating a dyno who has the basic arithmetic skills and understanding of the device they are using to do the job competently, and the honesty to tell their customers the truth, rather than what they want to hear.

It is basic arithmetic - But it's based on estimates anyway! The 15% is merely a ballpark figure.

Don't get too hung up on RR results. Always take them with a pinch of salt.

You're spot on what you say though Gordon - There are a lot of rolling road places up and down the country that merely massage the egos of their customers. If they have a rolling road day with a car club they are far more likely to go back there if they have left with smiling faces because they were told that their car had made plenty of power. Sad and wrong but unfortunately true.

VaVa
About as reliable as Tony Blairs manifesto on weapons of mass destruction.

About as useful as a Scotsman in a football kit

About as useful as a chocolate teapot

etc etc

Clio v6
Would be easier just to stick with what everyone knows by now.

Whatever Renault say -10

Enjoy your 187

SMURF!!!
:rasp:

Too be honest im not that bothered what it is putting out - i love the car whether its got 1 or 1000 bhp, but am planning on having some work done to it, so wanted to know the figures as standard and new and will then go back to the same place to see what the improvements may/may not be!

But the people at torque developments admitted its just guess work unless you go to the trouble of taking the engine out and doing it on that....

Anywho, i love the car and am very pleased with it, major step up from my ickle 1.2 fiesta anyway :eek:

Clio v6
^^^ That's the spirit Carina. RR's all usually all a load of what they what you to believe for the cash you give them.

Give me £500 and I'll tell you all about your Clio 220. ;)

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
it 'll get better with a few miles under its belt
and don't forget the rule. treat it like you love it, drive it like you hate it!!

Mondeo STTDCI
Does you BF's meggy have a SHINY X number plate and pootle around Hogg Lane quite a bit?

You'll know if it does of course.

172 ph1
^^^ That's the spirit Carina. RR's all usually all a load of what they what you to believe for the cash you give them.

Give me £500 and I'll tell you all about your Clio 220. ;)

Give me £50 and I'll tell you about your clio 230!

SMURF!!!
Does you BF's meggy have a SHINY X number plate and pootle around Hogg Lane quite a bit?

You'll know if it does of course.

He'll love you for saying that - first time he has been "spotted".

Yeah thats him! :D

Pootle though - not quite sure if thats the right word ;) hehehe

Mondeo STTDCI
I have an arctic 182 but am quite often driving around Grays and Thurrock in my work car.