ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 'residual values'

133/225/CLS AMG
If it relates to the residual prices of the Clio 197, lets face it, its gonna be as bleak as all the other RenaultSport models.

Imagine paying the full £20k asking price for a Megane 225 then realising that you can get em new for £15k??? Same applies to paying £17k for a Clio 197!!!! They'll be available from a broker for what £13-14k??

Give em a year and a second hand one will be £10k!! Then its worth buying one. :D :D

said the same thing 6 months ago on RS forum and was shot down in flames, I shall be serving humble pie later.

182 Trophy
Thety are around the 13k mark second hand from a dealer, thats a big loss in 3 months.

Mondeo STTDCI
Fooking hell. When I think my 2 year old 182 is worth 7-8k! I'll never buy a new car again without F&F discount!

Why are people always suprised/shocked when it comes to depreciation? Everyone knows that as you drive the car of the forecourt is looses a couple of thousand in value!

My Old Man spent the best part of £35K on a brand new 2.8 V6 A4 Quattro Avant in 98, I think 4 years later a dealer offered him less than £10K as a trade in, £25K in 4 years!!!!

If you're going to buy a brand new car then accept the depreciation if you've never bought a brand new car then be ready for the depreciation but either way, don't be suprised by it!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My Old Man spent the best part of £35K on a brand new 2.8 V6 A4 Quattro Avant in 98, I think 4 years later a dealer offered him less than £10K as a trade in, £25K in 4 years!!!!

A friend recently sold a 911 GT3 he bought new. Less than 2,000 miles, 1 year old, bought for £90k, sold for..... £70k :dead:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Still haven't tried a 197.

I expect to get a company car next year sometime, so I am thinking of getting something like a RenaultSport clio and turning it into a hardcore sunday car.

A little like Subway's 172... But I'd take it those few steps further... Would be cool to do it to a 197 aswell. Stripped out interior, cage, buckets, no air con, no windows, straight through exhaust etc etc

Anyone who bought new (and at full price) could not have expected any less than huge depreciation, happens with nearly every car so not worth worrying about if you want to buy new. A car is for driving, not an investment.

On the other hand, I bought my Cup second-hand, and a year later after putting 15k on it (but treating it perfectly) I was offered about £200 less than I paid for it...can't argue with that.

Sadly I declined, but then needed to sell recently anyway, I lost £1200 which still isn't bad for 18 months and 20k miles.

182 Trophy
I don't think people are suprised or shocked when it comes to depreciation most people know it will happen. But the 197 has dropped quite a lot for a 16k car in 6 months. And as with the Audi the more you spend the greater the depreciation.

But saying that the Clio Trophy is holding its value quite well.

A friend recently sold a 911 GT3 he bought new. Less than 2,000 miles, 1 year old, bought for £90k, sold for..... £70k :dead:

There's nothing wrong with comparing depreciation stories though! ;)

A friend of mine had been on the waiting list for an E46 M3 for 18 months and he was half hoping to sell his space for a profit but it didn't happen. He had the car 4 months and barely used it as he was commuting to London all week by train etc... He got a value from a trader for it: £35,000!

He had paid £46,000! £11,000 in 4 months!!!!!!!!

Porsche's normally hold their value really well, its one of their plus points (along with all the others), once you can afford a Porsche they are reasonable investments!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Oh man that's bad... I think a £20,000 loss over a year is pretty bad... I know it's not as bad in percentages as £11,000 in 4 months, but it's still pretty ouchies!!

As you say, "once you can afford a Porsche", I'm not sure they're a good investment though:clown: Single figure mpg, £100 to fill it up.

However, if you can afford to pay £800 a month finance for one of several cars, I don't think that would bother you too much....