ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 owners...

Italian 3.2 V6
hey,

just interested in looking into the 197.. (insurance is gona be killer on most other cars which i want...V6!!, also want to stay with the renault sport heratige tbh)

just want to see some pics of what you guys have done with your 197s, what mods have you done.. what RR figures you been getting and what quater mile times have you got!?

i relise they are basicly the same peformance to a 1*2 out of the box so will obv want to upgrade parts such as light-weight wheels, milltek exhaust system, remap etc etc any reviews on the few of you that may have used these parts already? ..yess i could do this to my current 172 but they are becoming overly common, chavy and becoming abit dated now tbh..

..on the other hand the R26 is only going to cost me an extra 200 on ins plus they are going for about the same price.. but i dont like the look of them as much as the 197... is a R26 a better move foward..?

White clique
Only a pic of my standard one i'm afraid, but with less than 9k on the clock I got 189.9bhp with a standard engine on a dyno dynamics RR.

car21.gif

I've not heard of any decent figs for modded 197s yet, both R26 and 17 great cars with lots of potential.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mine

DSC04354.jpg

DSC04356.jpg

DSC04365.jpg

DSC04359.jpg

They are good out the box. You wont see any real gain with a remap and exhaust, just like 172/182's..... ie a waste of money imo
Never had it RR'd but coming form a 172 Cup and 182, it pulls well, had a coming together with a 172 Cup in my 197 and pulled a few lengths........

My mods are seats, H&R coilovers and Speedline alloys.........

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
If I could afford to I'd make the jump to an R26. Much better car in every aspect imo.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If the same sort of cash, R26 IMO. Faster, bigger, similar MPG, massively more tuneable.

320d
If the same sort of cash, R26 IMO. Faster, bigger, similar MPG, massively more tuneable.

Spot on that. 270bhp from an RS Tuning map coupled with the LSD makes the R26 an epic car both on the road and on the track.

I'm a huge fan of 197's too, you can't go wrong with either realy.

Renaultsport Clio 197
hello ;)

12012009839.jpg

197.jpg

they're a bit down on claimed power, well depends on the dyno. Optimistic dynos show 200+ bhp, dynodynamics shows 180ish bhp...

standard with milltek and a remap (with a good start) - under 15s (not me).

I bet Kevos car can go in the low 14s maybe even 13s.

mine has just eibach springs and itg panel filter.
Megane R26 is quicker but not as much fun to drive ;) but depends what u like.

cheers

Clio 197
100_0288.gif

100_0289.gif

100_0293.gif

No mods 100% standard. Probably could do with lowering but I am not allowed any mods until I am over 25, Direct Line rules.

Nimbus 197
Only thing I found with the 197 was that a lot of insurance companies required drivers to be 30+. Well, the cheaper insurance companies required 30+

Only bad thing I can say about the 197 is it does have VERY short ratios.......great when you are lethering it, but crap when you are trying to have a gentle cruise.

Mine definately feels quicker, and handles better, than my old Cooper S.

Golf 7R
If I could afford to I'd make the jump to an R26. Much better car in every aspect imo.

I'm glad you put imo, as in mine, the 197 is leaps and bounds ahead in the looks department.

Both offer completely different things, and i'm sure you would not be dissapointed with either.

Italian 3.2 V6
LOL thing about the Focus RS is that I could buy one next week as it's no more expensive Than my current 172, but any other car upgrade will have to wait until this Nov/Dec :( LOL.

But yea test drive them all I suppose is the best option..

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Only thing I found with the 197 was that a lot of insurance companies required drivers to be 30+. Well, the cheaper insurance companies required 30+

Only bad thing I can say about the 197 is it does have VERY short ratios.......great when you are lethering it, but crap when you are trying to have a gentle cruise.

Mine definately feels quicker, and handles better, than my old Cooper S.

WTF?! They are cheaper to insure than 182's being grp 15

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Yup I had no problems insuring mine at 21. The megs a ugly as hell imo, 197 is a nice car, I miss mine a lot :(
DSC_0566.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

RB 197 fatty
100_0288.gif

100_0289.gif

100_0293.gif

No mods 100% standard. Probably could do with lowering but I am not allowed any mods until I am over 25, Direct Line rules.

hmmmmm, thats interesting. iv always thought about getting white wheels on mine, now iv seen it imnot so sure... doesnt have the same affect as the RB 172/182's

nice though.

RB RULES!!!! ;)

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Something strange going on then, as I fund a 182/172 to be about £200 cheaper than the 197, when I nsured mine last week, maybe cost of vehicle related?

Think it is something that is up with your insurers then.
As it was defo cheaper for me to insure my 197 at 19 than it was a 182.

Edit: could be due to the cost of the vehicle, but with bell it didnt make any difference if i said it was worth £10k or £14k

Mustang, S13, AX GT
hmmmmm, thats interesting. iv always thought about getting white wheels on mine, now iv seen it imnot so sure... doesnt have the same affect as the RB 172/182's

nice though.

RB RULES!!!! ;)
I think it pulls it off just aswell as the 182s, problem is that Chris's FPM has pulled of the mods he's done perfectly:
DSC_0626.jpg

DSC_0624.jpg

(PS, sorry for wh*ring my standard car, lol)

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
Its just a shame they cant put the r26 engine in the 197 then it would be perfect!

I came from this
car013.jpg

to this
bedford036-1.jpg

and have never looked back i do still love the 197 but the performance just is no match for r26s and with a simple re map its just crazy !

this is IMO

Italian 3.2 V6
they really that much quicker!? i need to have a ride in a R26 to know i guess... same in price these days... but is the extra power really worth more than the looks of the R27!?

i f**king love the stance of 197gaz 197...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cheers!

Well the clio is pegged back because of its sector size. If it was as quick as a meggy, the meggy needs to be quicker, and so on. The 197 is CTR pace (like the 182) which is the class above. Name me another manufacturer that makes its Clio sized car as quick? (standard ;))

Italian 3.2 V6
yea agree... tbh after today (lakes run) i find my 172 quick and very fun to drive.. so 197 would be as quick and as fun plus the looks are far nicer :eek: but at the back of my mind i always want to have more power under the bonnet which im sure the R26 can give... such a shame about the look with the R26 IMO :(

only thing i can think of to resolve this problem is R27 + engine mods = done!.. but thats just chucking money down the pisser! :(

Sorry but what is the model of H&R coilovers for a clio 197? I cannot find the part number anywhere!! Only KW 1 & 3 is what I can find and I'm very interested in H&R and not anything else!!

thanks for the help!
pamarakos

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yea agree... tbh after today (lakes run) i find my 172 quick and very fun to drive.. so 197 would be as quick and as fun plus the looks are far nicer :eek: but at the back of my mind i always want to have more power under the bonnet which im sure the R26 can give... such a shame about the look with the R26 IMO :(

only thing i can think of to resolve this problem is R27 + engine mods = done!.. but thats just chucking money down the pisser! :(
Try an R26 then go from there. No doubt the 197 looks better, how important that is, is up to you. Doesn't bother me at all, it's a hatchback at the end of the day, there are plenty of coupes etc that are far better looking than any hot hatch, all IMO.