ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 or 200?

RS6 C7
Been offered a company car in september, What to go for a cheaper 197 and keep the extra money or a 200?? is there much difference?

What are the differences between the two? not to clue`d up on the mk3`s. more of a mk2 kind. just 3 bhp difference?

RS6 C7
Ye thats what im wondering, i like the look of the 197 cup and they are cheaper to insure than a 200 so might just go for that really if there is basically no difference

Passat
Definitely a 200 mate. Absolutely definitely. I think 95% of people would say that the 197 is the worst Clio Sport around

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I bet your lease database is out of date, and if you ordered a 197 a 200 would be delivered.

I think the 197 will deliver a cup, as you say its called a cup, and the 200 is the normal version.

RS6 C7
when i say company car, It wouldnt be done in the usual company car way, i work for the family business so basically would just be a financed car on a hire purchase rather than a lease ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I see, what i said is wrong then, but does happen when small revisions happen on lease databases.

Clio RS 200
200 FF with cup chassis all day long. The 200 kinda makes the 197 a bit pointless. :S

Megane 275 trophy006
200 and I drive/own a 197. it has a few refinements but I hate the front end so I went for the 197 (also I wanted xenons and the sunroof that a 200 can't get equipped with)
it will go down to preference. if it's your daily do NOT get a cup model. It will tire you out eventually. Go FF as it's a much easier drive for day to day.
Cup models also get a cheaper interior parts.

if you do go down the 197 route get a later model with the revised gearbox.
I love my 197 and don't feel like I've lost out much by going down this route.

Last edited:
  UR197
Only the fact you can get a good used 197 for 8500 and the 200 you will be paying 12kish doesn't make the 197 pointless for people who can't afford a 200? Go for 200 if someone else is paying little things that make it a better car!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Definitely a 200 mate. Absolutely definitely. I think 95% of people would say that the 197 is the worst Clio Sport around

Aye, ok......... Have you good experience of both? I have, and between the cupped models of both there is f**k all real world difference. Think 172 - 182.

Anyway get the best you can afford. I have a 197 cup and its a cracking motor. Non of the clio's are great for sitting in traffic, but get them on a lovely B road and they come into their own :)

Last edited:
I'd get a 197, purely because the 200 looks like it's just suffered a massive stroke.

The early 197 I drove (non Cup) had almost magical cornering powers for a regular old hatch back. The steering was super dodgy but they apparently fixed that a bit later on IIRC? Either way it handled brilliantly and didn't have a bone shaking ride like the 200 apparently does (the Cup at least)

IMO get a Nimbus 197, just because it looks amazing and the 200 looks stupid. Fin.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The biggest difference is the quicker rack on the cupped 200's.... That's certainly a plus point. The cars are not night and day different though

The biggest difference is the quicker rack on the cupped 200's.... That's certainly a plus point. The cars are not night and day different though

Good point. I seem to remember Warren saying he wanted to add the Cup rack to his non-Cup?

I'm not speaking from experience here so anyone feel free to beat me down, but it strikes that the 200 Cup might be a bit too firm for road use. Everyone likes a car that is good on track, but when its road manners are compromised for the sake of lap times that they will never achieve anyway...well.

AG 200
I owned a 197 for 2 years and am coming upto 2 years of ownership of a 200.

The 200 is what I wanted the 197 to be ,however the 200s still not perfect.
That been said I loved my 197! IF you owned a 197 then drove the 200 you would notice the difference straight away , the 197 was gutless low down whereas the 200 has more ooomph, not much but enough to make a difference. They are both good cars to be honest , its just one has been tweaked enough that convinced me to change and Im glad I did.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Good point. I seem to remember Warren saying he wanted to add the Cup rack to his non-Cup?

I'm not speaking from experience here so anyone feel free to beat me down, but it strikes that the 200 Cup might be a bit too firm for road use. Everyone likes a car that is good on track, but when its road manners are compromised for the sake of lap times that they will never achieve anyway...well.

The Americans would call it 'sporty' it's harsh but liveable although mines not a daily :)

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Roy, the 200 Cup is fine unless you're a pensioner - Nowhere near as bad as a CTR FD2 for example :D

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I'm judging this by passengers opinions, the elderly usually make a comment along the lines of 'feeling all the bumps', I think any of us that have a history of sporty range cars will not worry.

How hard is the new FRS? When I tried the old shape FRS it was suprisingly complaint for the grip it had.

The RS certainly isn't soft, but it's really well damped and doesn't ever feel crashy. On cobbled streets it's actually a better ride than my 182 was. Firmer of course, but just less agitated. It rides really well considering it rolls on 35 profile 19s.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Blimey, 19's - Quite surprised by that, personally I always thought 17 & 18's are usually more than enough, tyre prices must be pretty nasty :(

172 Cup
Having been in both a fair few times and knowing owners of both for a good while i have to say it would be the 200 every day over a 197 for me.

Blimey, 19's - Quite surprised by that, personally I always thought 17 & 18's are usually more than enough, tyre prices must be pretty nasty :(

Not too bad but no they're not cheap. Think I paid around £180 each for the Conti 5Ps that are on the front at the moment.

Clio RS 200
Lol that's like saying a GEN1 GT3RS is pointless just because porsche released the GEN2 GT3RS

I can't imagine that most people would be able to tell the difference between a 200 or 197

Its true though. The 200 (in my opinion) is just an improved version of the 197 all round!

Merc
lol @ the denial in this thread.

And you act supprised lol.

Un-biased decission: go test drive both see which one you like. A 200 apart from the facelift is a tad refined from the 197 i.e. Played with the gear ratios so that it uses the full rpm range better to get the most out of it. Controversial quote I am gonna make is that I like the 200 better in the looks department, like the exhausts on the rear difuser. Other than that not much in them.

Also take note that a new clio will be released next year so the 197 will look even more dated in a years time and prices will drop considerably. All imo.

Clio 1970000000

96% of people don't have enough skills to get the full thrill of a 197.

I'd get a 197, purely because the 200 looks like it's just suffered a massive stroke.

The early 197 I drove (non Cup) had almost magical cornering powers for a regular old hatch back. The steering was super dodgy but they apparently fixed that a bit later on IIRC? Either way it handled brilliantly and didn't have a bone shaking ride like the 200 apparently does (the Cup at least)

IMO get a Nimbus 197, just because it looks amazing and the 200 looks stupid. Fin.

Listen to Roy, he talks sense.

Clio 172 cup
if moneys not a problem then i would go for the 200.

I personally prefer the look of the 197's front end and with the 197 cup you get the spoiler which makes the car look alot better in my opinion so if you do decide to go for the 197 id go for the cup or R26 F1-team edition, but the 200 exhausts do look better.

I dont think theirs alot of big differences just alot of little ones but all these add up in the end so go for the 200!

Either way make sure you have the bucket seats!!! :)

Fiesta ST2
I own a 197 but I'd get a 200 for warranty, you could spec it how you wanted and its got better lower down torque so you don't need to drive like a complete tool in the middle of town :) (that does not mean you cant etc..)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Also quicker down the twisties till they end up on their roof iirc?

BMW335M/Clio200/182
Aye, ok......... Have you good experience of both? I have, and between the cupped models of both there is f**k all real world difference. Think 172 - 182.

Anyway get the best you can afford. I have a 197 cup and its a cracking motor. Non of the clio's are great for sitting in traffic, but get them on a lovely B road and they come into their own :)

Don't get a cup and don't get a 197

lol