ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 or 200 6 speed gearbox on 182 engine

Clio Rs 182
Maybe a silly question, is it able to use a 197 or 200 6 speed gearbox on 182 engine? :eek:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You have to drill and tap the 1*2 block to the 197 bolt pattern. Sump change as well iirc. Biggest question is why though? They're on par with their reliability issues to the 5 speed tbh.

Megane r26
It was just an idea!!!! to decrease rpm at high speed.

If thats the case i'd stick with your standard 182 box, my 197 runs the earlier box which is a little bit shorter then the later box but with its short ratio's its really singing at 70mph an tbh your looking to get anymore then 33mpg at 70mph!

Clio Rs 182
Dan! in my country the speedlimit on highway is not 70mph legally it's 81 but to 94mph (150km/h) you won't pay fine. so at 94mph the engine revs about 4400.

Megane r26
Dan! in my country the speedlimit on highway is not 70mph legally it's 81 but to 94mph (150km/h) you won't pay fine. so at 94mph the engine revs about 4400.

Yeah well my 197 would be revving at more then 4400rpm at 96mph due to the ratios the box uses

Clio Rs 182
thanks Dan that was the info what I need ( your revs more) and thanks for Marinemakay &Mr.Pink longer 5th will be the solution.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
thanks Dan that was the info what I need ( your revs more) and thanks for Marinemakay &Mr.Pink longer 5th will be the solution.

Solution is a different car or earplugs. If you had longer gear ratios (the gearbox from the Clio DCI is the JC5 gearbox which is the same as the 172, however it has much longer ratios, 4500rpm in 5th is 125mph) then it will be a pig to drive.

Clio Rs 182
I have no problem with the loundness of the engine and the car too. I love it! I thouhgt this forum is for talking about the cars, ideas, intrests, etc.

Clio Rs 182
Solution is a different car or earplugs. If you had longer gear ratios (the gearbox from the Clio DCI is the JC5 gearbox which is the same as the 172, however it has much longer ratios, 4500rpm in 5th is 125mph) then it will be a pig to drive.
I have no problem with the loundness of the engine and the car too. I love it! I thouhgt this forum is for talking about the cars, ideas, intrests, etc.

alien green rs133
i have fitted a dci diff into a 172 gear box, this alters the final drive and tbh it makes driving the car lovely, just under 2750 rpm @ 70 which imo is lovely, granted first gear is also moved slightly but the f4r lump has the torque to cope.

and for all those wondering, just changing 5th gear wont do jack sh!t, its the final drive you have to change.