ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 obd2 no connection issue

Hi, i have a generic cheepo fault code reader that i have used on many vehicles before succesfully. However when connecting it to my 197 i get an error of no connection. I know the obd port is getting power because its powering the reader but it just wont connect to the ecu. I also borrowed a mates bluetooth style fault code reader and tried that but had the same issue. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jim

dan's cast offs.
Cheap code reader says it all really, even when they do read they're crap at best. :tongueclosed:

Clio 197,with megan'
Hi, i have a generic cheepo fault code reader that i have used on many vehicles before succesfully. However when connecting it to my 197 i get an error of no connection. I know the obd port is getting power because its powering the reader but it just wont connect to the ecu. I also borrowed a mates bluetooth style fault code reader and tried that but had the same issue. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jim
Make sure you plug in first, then turn on ing., and start car, and if this what you have done, then I am not sure what the problem is. I have used code readers, from cheap to expensive, and never had a problem.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Make sure pins are all clear and clean of debris but as previously mentioned above, cheap OBD's are just that and won't always read all ECU's.

Another possibility (maybe?) is that if RSTuner has been used on the vehicle and errored in some way while locking down the ECU.

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I am doing it in the correct manor I believe, connect the reader, then ignition on. I have checked the pins on the reader and all look good but not sure how I’m meant to go about checking the ones on the obd port

dan's cast offs.
Does it go through each connection protocol? Can't remember what one the 197 connects with sprry and haven't got one in to check with.

Yes it appears to go through them all but then just displays connection link error or words to those effect depending on which reader. I’ve now tried a 3rd reader and still the same