ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 mods!!!!

BMW 125i
i've had the 197 for 9 months now and im interested in upping the bhp any ideas on what i can do?? will i notice any significant difference?? what have people on here done?? cheers

Kevo66 has done quite a bit to his. There are no big gains to be had though and I don't think anyone is actually retailing ITBs in the UK at the moment

Last edited:
  BMW 125i
So nothing thats going to see much of a significant difference?? unless i have a money tree in my back garden to pay big bucks for any increase!!!

ST
ITG panel filter or maxogen, YS exhaust with secondary decat, remap should see you about 15-20bhp i'd think, would give some nice mid range torque that the 197 really lacks.

H&R springs give the car a rather nice stance too.

Swift Sport
Pretty much mate, I've had a re-map and panel filter. Deffo doesn't hang about, got 202bhp on the rolling road.

Also, try running your car without the airbox cover. The filter will still prevent any s**t from getting in, and it'll feel and sound better!!

ST
Pretty much mate, I've had a re-map and panel filter. Deffo doesn't hang about, got 202bhp on the rolling road.

Also, try running your car without the airbox cover. The filter will still prevent any s**t from getting in, and it'll feel and sound better!!

Mine banged 198.6bhp standard...i fankya.

Those w@nks at my local stealer won't do the ECU remap, KANTS!!

Airbox cover off you say...hmm K&N down the retail park much LOL.

172 5HED
Well I only got around 20bhp from a remap cams(mild) and inlets! And on a proper rolling road it books just under 203.. it made 186.4 std which is where most are at but if you put it on the right rollers it will tell you its more, if you want to believe that its up to you!

Mine reads 220 odd on s**tty rollers, I prefer to go with real figures though!

GDI can sort you ITB's!

BMW 125i
so how much would I be looking at for a remap and maxogen or itg filter to set me back then?? and of course the warranty would be straight out the window??! itbs would be nice but don't have that one of money :(

Remap circa £300 iirc. Speak to Paul at RS tuning.

Filter just go for an ITG panel filter with the airbox cap removed (£40-50)
OR
Buy a smaller battery (£110) an Alluminium ITG airbox with filter (£150sih), silicone elbows etc as required (about another £50) and then do a set up like kevs.

as said, filter, exhaust and remap will get the easy power gain of about 8bhp lol.

after that you got to work for it. cams and airbox, or ITBs, or Turbo/SC depending on budget.

probably better keeping the engine fairly standard and investing in lightening it, or uprating brakes, tyres, wheels etc.

GDi havent released prices, or any power figures on their ITB kit yet but it runs off an omex iirc so budget over £1k just for that part.

you could DIY the throttle bodies tbf, jenvey sf's, clear a route by lowering rad, swap to manual throttle not dbw but nothing comes cheap

Take it off, go for a spirited drive and you'll understand ;)

As for the hot air thing, have noticed no issues at all.

ST
I took the airbox cover off (itg filter still in place) this afternoon, sounds rather good!

The hot air thing shouldn't be a problem due to where the airbox sits and it ONLY a piece of plastic.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Take it off, go for a spirited drive and you'll understand ;)

As for the hot air thing, have noticed no issues at all.

Got a photo?

As for mods, i prefer to take it on track & let the beast loose.

Clio 197 cup
Took my cover off on mine today, took it for a little spin and it sounded mint!

Didn't realise such a simple procedure would make that much difference! :)

Was a 197
i took the cover off mine again today and drove it round for a bit to leet the ECU sort itself out with it and it does sound pretty good (almost scooby esque!!!!)

Renault have a 230bhp upgrade kit out and a 250bhp kit is in development at the moment. 230 kit uses the standard manifold.

You'll need a management solution though as both kits are being developed for the X85 and C85 on MM SRT engine control. I'd be tempted to see what could be done on the standard management though as the addition of fully variable valve timing on the 83X means fairly hairy cams should be do able.

Cheers
M