ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 help/information

BMW
Hey, im pretty new to this site. I drive a 1.2 Corsa 58 plate at the moment but im selling it and im planning on buying a clio 197 (hopefully the R27 model, need to find a good one first).

Ive heard alot of talk about the 197 being slow? is this the case? i mean its a 2.0L engine, it cant be that slow!?

What do people think of it overall?

Thanks!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Its slow in comparison to a super car.

Buts its Just as fast as its competitors, in standard form its faster on track than most of its competitors. But its harder to tune (in terms of power) than its competitors.

LY 200
Its probably the best standard 2.0 (bar the slightly improved 200) N/A car on the market but its not really about the outright speed but the immence handling anyway!

Get a well spec'd one or an R27 and you will not be dissapointed im sure.

BMW
I have driven one. A R27, but the seats were ripped. Loved it and made my mind up that i wanted a R27, i thought it was pretty fast but after people said it is slow i was wondering if it only felt fast as i drive a 1.2 at the moment

RB 197 fatty
i get ya....then who cares if ppl 'think' its slow!?! My mate has a focus st500 and yeah on paper its faster in a straight line, it has a bigger engine, a turbo , and more power..... but i couldnt give a monkies because there iusnt a straight bit of road empty enough for him to do this, and he really struggles to keep up with me around twisty b roads.... and i like my car 100 times more!

Do what you want, if you like it get it, dont not get it because others say its 'slow'!!!

LY 200
LOL - It is quick for what it is which is after all just a 2.0 16v engine! This has its benefits because the car is still pretty light!

If you want mind blowing pace you will need to look at M3's, 4.0 V8 Mercs etc really!

197's will keep hold of cars such as standard Elises, Focus ST's and Meg 225's if driven properly so they are definetly not slouches but it all depends on what cars you are comparing them to.

BMW
Well its a toss up between a 197 R27 and a VXR racing edition. i already have owned two corsas and im slowly bored of them now which has made me look at the R27 and love it.

Swift Sport
I've done a fair few trackdays in mine, and I'm usually lapping quicker than most. As said, Clios are more about handling and ability than outright pace...

Swift Sport
Well its a toss up between a 197 R27 and a VXR racing edition. i already have owned two corsas and im slowly bored of them now which has made me look at the R27 and love it.

Mate, I love VXR's... but have you driven one? OMG so much worse than a Renaultsport imo.

BMW
Ive got a test drive booked on friday in a VXR. But if im honest i think i will 100% be going for the 197 R27

albi 197
i drove both the corsa vxr and a 197 prior to buying my 197. I hated the corsa. I like the look of it and the interior is pretty nice. But to drive, it was just a yawnfest. The power was delivered too smoothly, and too progressively. The handling didn't feel as involving either.

BMW
I think i will be going for the 197. Ive been in VXR's just never driven one.. (will be on friday on test drive). I like the fact you can really tune the VXR and its a turbo. but i think the R27 is a nicer car. I loved the whole feel of it and the gear box was miles better than the corsa.

The vxr arctic is a sweet little motor too, worth a test drive (didnt handle as well but great options as standard, remus exhaust, recaros and sun roof.
As said its about handling, my personal feelings are that on real roads the CS would beat cars like the ST as they have to break much more before bends where the CS dont. Thats just my experience.

The gear box is better in a 197 then the corsa, the corsa you dont have to work it as hard. I liked the corsa but as i said it doesnt handle as well and i think they are even more chavy then the CS :p They will hold their value more then the 197s too as not many were made.

BMW
Not worried about it holding value as i dont buy cars as investments.
I can pick a R27 up alot cheaper than a VXR racing edition/Arctic, wish i could just buy both haha

Clio 1970000000
This sums up the 197 and the VXR perfectly. A N/A car won't feel as quick as a turbo and to be honest, until you get used it, it won't be. The 197 is a much harder car to drive quickly than most other hot hatches. You have to work much harder but the rewards are much higher. Personally, I don't think my 197 is that fast but a) I have driven much fasters cars and b) I didn't buy my 197 for its straight line speed. Learn to drive the 197 properly and you won't be disapointed.
[YOUTUBE]GjL_AyuhJnc[/YOUTUBE]

R27
I have driven both the 197 and VXR. The clio put a bigger smile on my face hence the reason i bought one. Standard for standard the two are pretty much equal in a straight line and probably has more to do with the driver, however like you say the VXR is a lot more tunable.

I personally would stop away from the VXR Racing edition as i think some things look tacky on it e.g the stickers on the door pillars. I know the R27 is covered in stickers but they don't look tacky imo.

Vauxhall have also always had problems with their red paint fading, I know all red paint fades but Vauxhall's is a particular problem. Two of my friends work for Vauxhall and they have told me to avoid buying a red car off them. If you do want a VXR you're better off with an Arctic edition.

I have a few pictures here of a Corsa VXR and my R27 if it helps.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=484284&highlight=vxr+197

My previous car was also a Corsa 1.2

Last edited: