ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Exhaust Manifold Cracked!

Albi Blue 197
Just found out that my exhaust manifold has cracked! Is this a common problem? Because i could never imagine an exhaust manifold cracking? Especially one that's designed to be for the sports! It just suddenly happened the weekend! I wasn't expecting it or anything! Has anyone else had this problem??? :S

Also, i'm now going to be after a manifold, so if anyone has one for sale, let me know :) - Unless it can be welded if that's possible?

Reece

ITB'd MK1
seen a lot of pictures of them, and a few up close. Where is it cracked? common places are around the welds at the head flange, and on the welds of the cat

it "should" be weldable, but without seeing it i can't make promises

ITB'd MK1
197 manifold crack.jpg

that was posted on 197.net

Albi Blue 197
This is the problem! This is a picture of my manifold. As the picture above from 197.net, its exactly the same branch thats cracked, so there must be a problem there somewhere!. Just a poor welding job from renault lol!

23uxox.gif

ITB'd MK1
looks like they've thinned the tube too much when they've shaped it to the port, then laid on a thick old bead of weld on. Weakest part of any join is always along the edge of the weld. 172 and 182 were much stronger.

That's weldable IMO, but I'd have it TIG'd rather than try and MIG over the crack

Albi Blue 197
Well im doing all the work myself and getting a mate to weld it up for free. Im gunna weld over the other branches and other places where the manifold has been welded up to make sure this problem never ever happens again! All im paying for is a new manifold gasket :p
Job is a real pain in the back to do though!!! Subframe off! Or engine out? You choose lol!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
we have replaced 4 or 5 now but have been in warranty, pain in the arse to fit aswel.

Dont take the subframe off, just let it hang a bit. (whilst supported)

Clio 172 Phase 1
My mates cracked and he got quoted about 600 quid, might of been more! (from Renault)

He got one 2nd hand off a 197 with 26,000 miles for 160 quid and his mate whos a mechanic is fitting it, have a search around mate you may get a bargain :)

Albi Blue 197
The jobs done now mate. I took the manifold off myself and welded it up! Stuck about 3 welds over eachother! Will be extremly hard to crack now lol! The cars now running as good as it did :)