ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 engine in a ph1 sport?

Ph1 172
question 1) does it fit on original mounts i.e drop in?
question 2) what would i need to fit it in if it doesnt fit?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The engine should fit, I've read the gearbox would be a problem... But people have fit megane boxes in clios so I'm not 100% sure on that.

Try it? If it doesn't work, sell on?

Ph1 172
I was thinking about it becus there is a 197 engine on the bay with 16k on for £450 my engine has done 90k ish and cambelt due soon so was just thinking of more cost effective way and my ph1 may last longer with lower mileage engine in!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Lol go for it, i wonder what the mpg with 6 gears in a lighter car would be :)

Saying that. The belts could be due on this 197 engine 72k or 5 years so that may be worth looking into

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Drill and tap the block to accept the jc5 box, plus the sump needs to be swapped to the 1*2 one. There are other little niggly bits that need messing with as well. Straight forward enough to do if you've got the know-how and tools though.

Ph1 172
Lol go for it, i wonder what the mpg with 6 gears in a lighter car would be :)

Saying that. The belts could be due on this 197 engine 72k or 5 years so that may be worth looking into
Ye but 5 years or 72 is ages away compared to mine with is due in a few months or 2000 miles!!
Might go for a megane engine or do people reckon 172 bottom 197 top with turbo!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Depends what age the engine is, they came out in 06 remember, weigh up the costs though mate, megane engine or low comp turbo are both good conversions... Just depends which is cheapest :)