ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 - Autocar Performance Figures - wtf?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I dare not use the search feature for fear of bringing their site to its knees.

What's going on with the performance figures in Autocar for the 197? Presumably these were from an actual road test? According to them, 0-60 takes 7.5s and top speed is 128mph. Surely this can't be right? Was it tested in the pissing rain or something?

I know figures aren't everything, but these ones are decidedly average for a car that is supposed to be an upgrade form one that dispatches 60mph a full second (or more) quicker, and will do 140mph. I don't understand what's going on with this car at all. Has anyone here taken their 197 to the strip, or used a Gtech?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
shoudnt a 197 be as quick as a ctr?, they must weigh rougly the same and have a near identical bhp?

shoudnt a 197 be as quick as a ctr?, they must weigh rougly the same and have a near identical bhp?

Well yeah, that's been said many a time. However, my point really is that these figures suggest the 197 is just as slow as it feels. The performance has never matched the stats IMO :(

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
oh dear, i personally love the look of the 197 (after a subtle drop) but for renault to release a new car a good second slower up to 60, and a good 2 secs slower up to 100 is shocking. They seemed to have made a very very good chassis, but the engine is left wanting big time?

i really need to test drive one, or put my cup up aginst one ;)

I'm not really overly concerned about the figures, even if they don't add up. My issue is that I want to get rid of my creaky s**t box, but what to replace it with?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
CTR for me......

but i love my cup..... having ago in a ctr in the summer made me think of a ctr as more of a side step in performance imo, but it is better built

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I dare not use the search feature for fear of bringing their site to its knees.

What's going on with the performance figures in Autocar for the 197? Presumably these were from an actual road test? According to them, 0-60 takes 7.5s and top speed is 128mph. Surely this can't be right? Was it tested in the pissing rain or something?

I know figures aren't everything, but these ones are decidedly average for a car that is supposed to be an upgrade form one that dispatches 60mph a full second (or more) quicker, and will do 140mph. I don't understand what's going on with this car at all. Has anyone here taken their 197 to the strip, or used a Gtech?

If someone has a gtech I will use it, i wanna take mine to pod. its not that slow regardless. i went on a fairly hardcore drive with my mate who has a 55 reg ctr, and there was nothing in it, when i was behind i was pulling on him on his air. speed I have had a indicated 140, just as easily as my old 182 would get there, and almost as easy as my old ph-quick got ther.

I thought autocars figures were 0-60 in 6.9 & 134 flat out

whitch are still sh*te i know.

I have driven a few 197's now & will not be handing over any dollars until it can at least match my 182 !

Black 182 + Recaros
Not only is the car slower, the petrol MPG is crap too !

If they made the engine more powerful, the MPG would get worse surely.

J

jbaddeley

I followed one v quickly upto about 70 before he had to turn off last night. My cup has schrick cams etc and i was surprised at how quick he seemed having read the reviews. Watch out for Harry Metcalfes views in the back of Evo. He's got a trophy and renault have just given him a 197. His other car is a Zonda so it should be intersting to see how he compares the renaults.

Trophy 265/500
I thought the 197 didn't feel too quick when I tested it. Engine might be a bit tight still, but that sounds about right to me.

dk

911 GTS Cab

I thought autocars figures were 0-60 in 6.9 & 134 flat out

whitch are still sh*te i know.

I have driven a few 197's now & will not be handing over any dollars until it can at least match my 182 !
those are the renault figures so until they tested it themselves those are the figures that would have appeared.

Maybe it was Auto Express. One of the mags definitely has it pegged at 7.5 & 128mph, which I thought didn't seem quite right really :)

OK, Autocar's standing start figures for the 197 are as follows:

0-60 = 6.9 secs

0-100 = 18.9 secs

Top Speed:

132mph.

Now the 182 figures (same track, same magazine).

0-60 = 6.3 secs

0-100 = 17.0 secs

Top speed 138mph.

Evo magazine, Harry Metcalfe, Pagani Zonda owner, Clio Trophy owner and long term tester of a 197 says:

'The strange thing is that even when driven right to the outer limits, the 197 doesn't feel as much fun as the Trophy. I already know that that this new Clio is no Trophy replacement. I'm not saying it's a bad car, it's just not anything like the previous sporty Clios that we've come to know and love.'

133/225/CLS AMG
Sounds to me like they've beefed up the BHP but without backing it up with the performance, probably done for marketing!!!

Sounds to me like the 172/182 is going to be a lot more of a classic in the future than the new 197 coz the 197 sounds a lot more 'average' :( :(

R

rich[182]

I can understand why 0-100 time may appeal to some but lol, why does it matter that it can "only" do 128mph, it's immaterial cos chances are if you hit 128 you'll not be doing it a 2nd time anyway