ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 - A good Police car?

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Just had the Police in wanting to look around my 197.

Spent sometime going over it with a view of ordering a fleet.

Would look pretty cool with Police livery me thinks!

Photoshop anyone?

Yeah the police should use 197's as bacon mobiles, then us 1*2 owners can get away easy.

think you'll find thats an urban myth.

a 197 can brake harder and grip faster than a 182, and even in a straight line the difference is negligible. Point to point, a 197 is just as quick if not quicker.

In fact, in the wet, you struggle to keep up with a 197.

Yeah the police should use 197's as bacon mobiles, then us 1*2 owners can get away easy.

a 197 can brake harder and grip faster than a 182, and even in a straight line the difference is negligible. Point to point, a 197 is just as quick if not quicker.

lol 197's only have 150bhp max FACT!!

Im not sure a 3 door hatch is an ideal Police car, infact i ve never seen a 3 door police car. Good performance for the money though.
Lol at the 197 slating, if it wasn't for the crappy residuals I would have on in a heart beat, make the 182 feel dated in every respect.
What I would really like is a ClioSport MK3 DCI 175 if you reading this renault sort it out!

lol. stop living in a dream world.

i've seen three 197s on rollers and they all made at least 189bhp.

if u stil don't believe me, then juct check any copy of Evo and look at the lap times.

if they're so slow, why does an R27 197 lap the Bedford circuit nearly 2 seconds quicker than a 182 CUP??

172 cup TT

Thats ridiculous!... Renault wont cover the 197 in the rain, I called them and they said "We wont cover the 197 in the rain" the tyres have a warning on the inside of them saying they SHOULDNT be in contact with water at all!!!... this was the slight downside all the magazines didnt like about the car.... Pretty annoying really.. I think the water eats away at the special tyres renault gave the 197... Great in the dry though and luckily there is a warning on the dash board advising when one or more of the tyres have been in conact and to pull over immediately.. I think you have about 7 minutes to remove the water from the effected tyre until errosion takes place… If they get wet when you are in the middle of nowhere then you should remove the wheel completely and add on these big inflatable wheel-pretenders which secure themselves to the brake discs.. These will allow you to drive a further 38 miles before they stop… I called them and they said "If they get wet when you are in the middle of nowhere then you should remove the wheel completely and add on these wheel-pretenders which secure themselves to the brake discs.. These will allow you to drive a further 38 miles before they stop"…

Be careful, FACT...

VRS

lol. stop living in a dream world.

i've seen three 197s on rollers and they all made at least 189bhp.

if u stil don't believe me, then juct check any copy of Evo and look at the lap times.

if they're so slow, why does an R27 197 lap the Bedford circuit nearly 2 seconds quicker than a 182 CUP??

because the 182 cup isnt a proper cup ;) :rasp:

Thats ridiculous!... Renault wont cover the 197 in the rain, I called them and they said "We wont cover the 197 in the rain" the tyres have a warning on the inside of them saying they SHOULDNT be in contact with water at all!!!... this was the slight downside all the magazines didnt like about the car.... Pretty annoying really.. I think the water eats away at the special tyres renault gave the 197... Great in the dry though and luckily there is a warning on the dash board advising when one or more of the tyres have been in conact and to pull over immediately.. I think you have about 7 minutes to remove the water from the effected tyre until errosion takes place… If they get wet when you are in the middle of nowhere then you should remove the wheel completely and add on these big inflatable wheel-pretenders which secure themselves to the brake discs.. These will allow you to drive a further 38 miles before they stop… I called them and they said "If they get wet when you are in the middle of nowhere then you should remove the wheel completely and add on these wheel-pretenders which secure themselves to the brake discs.. These will allow you to drive a further 38 miles before they stop"…

Be careful, FACT...

lol @ tyres can't get wet! :D

PMSL...

why do you guys always take the bait??

don't backtrack now....

I think you should read every thread I have posted in about the 197 lol. ;)

Black Gold with cup packs
If my tres are useless after they get wet, how can I still drive my car with authority and the tyres just grip and grip and grip and they have been wet numerous times since I have had the car

172 cup TT
If my tres are useless after they get wet, how can I still drive my car with authority and the tyres just grip and grip and grip and they have been wet numerous times since I have had the car

I know its crazy isnt it!!!... you just cant get the 197 tyres wet or they start to disolve... I called them and they said "you just cant get the 197 tyres wet or they start to disolve"

Fact!

Meg 250/E36 Touring
What I would really like is a ClioSport MK3 DCI 175 if you reading this renault sort it out![/quote]

Agreed..

Although Im not sure how good weight distribution would be?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
197 would be a bad car for police use imo.

firstly not enough space, not enough top end, boot is too small, too revvy, susepnsion too harsh and interior is too small.

cars like the st220, T5, 530D are ideal cars for Police use and hence why you see so many of those for traffic/pursuit.

Black Gold with cup packs
the 172/182 are still great cars, shame alot of chavs seem to be snapping them up these days

Exactly, hense the reason why I now own a 197. And it's generally these chavs who slate the 197!
In a few years when I own the 250(fingers crossed) Chavs with the 197 will be slating the latest model!

182 Trophy (216/500)
Im not sure a 3 door hatch is an ideal Police car, infact i ve never seen a 3 door police car. Good performance for the money though.
Lol at the 197 slating, if it wasn't for the crappy residuals I would have on in a heart beat, make the 182 feel dated in every respect.
What I would really like is a ClioSport MK3 DCI 175 if you reading this renault sort it out!

some of the old Astra's Thames Valley still use are 3 door, i hear its a mission getting people in and out of the back when cuffed up!