ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 75° Thermostat in a Clio 172/182

I don't see the point of a lower temperature thermostat in the cooling system.

It's designed to get up to temperature and then stay within the recommended operating window. Fitting a low temp thermostat just means it opens earlier and the coolant gets cooled earlier, which means it takes longer to get up to operating temperature. Once it's running, I highly doubt a 'normal' thermostat would be closing again, unless you happen to live in Siberia in winter, lol, so a low temp stat would make no difference apart from increasing warm up time and the opportunity for engine wear??

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Just depends really. Oil takes longer to get to temp so that's where the majority of your wear comes from anyway.

Suppose once you change one variable then the other changes too

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yes, we run it Marts turbo 182 mainly to keep temps cooler for longer. No need for n/a. I got the gates one from autodoc for about £9

clio 172 ph2
hmmmm, I might have a 75°c thermostat in mine. When I check the temps with a ODB dongle the temp rarely goes above 77-80.
The previous owner must have changed it for a low temp one as I have not changed it since I got it.
I guess I might want to change it out for a normal one? Car is only used on weekend drives and the occasional Nurburgring trip...
I hope it didn't damage the car.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
hmmmm, I might have a 75°c thermostat in mine. When I check the temps with a ODB dongle the temp rarely goes above 77-80.
The previous owner must have changed it for a low temp one as I have not changed it since I got it.
I guess I might want to change it out for a normal one? Car is only used on weekend drives and the occasional Nurburgring trip...
I hope it didn't damage the car.
perhaps it's stuck open?

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
i've just got a euros special in mine. Opens at the correct temp (on my 197)