ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 wouldnt start..

182 trophy
This morning I couldn't start the car, it was turning over but didn't seem to have a spark.. had a few spare parts kicking about so change the coil pack which did nothing.. I then went to change plugs and leads, upon removing the spark plug out of cylinder 4 there was an alarming amount of oil dripping off it... Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on there?

Renault Clio182 bean
Rocker cover leaking around cylinder 4 sparkplug hole, unless your on about French cylinder 4 (cambelt side) then it could be the vvt solenoid leaking. Normally as you undo the sparkplug the oil drips in, can you see oil residue higher up the spark plug hole? doubt its from within the combustion chamber if your car hasn't been pummelling blue smoke from the exhaust

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The oil in No.4 is a common issue and most likely due to a leak. It shouldn't however cause a non start (in exceptional circumstances it'll cause missfires) so I'd say it's an electrical gremlin (blown fuse or popr connection somewhere) or a crank sensor issue

Renault Clio182 bean
As mick said it shouldn't cause a non start, but I suppose on a cold morning with the an oil soaked HT lead 'could' cause an initial hard start.

Renault Clio182 bean
I would have thought its just and oil seal o ring/gasket, so a cheap fix. I would clean all the oil away so its spotless, drive the car and see where its coming from :)

Trophy Turbo :)
Hi Liam, if you wish for me to have a look please feel free to Pm me or dtm cars ltd im in Durham or Newcastle, can do a Diagnostics check for you and review the oil leak.

Andy