ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 with Cup Pack vs 172 Cup - relative ride quality?

mini cooper s
Hi

Looking to buy a 182 with Cup pack I think, but would really appreciate your thoughts...

My mate has a 172 cup - absolutely love it. I have a Mini Cooper S (latest model) currently and the Cup is so much more controlled it's staggering. I was expecting the ride to jar and for it to be a lot rawer than it actually was, but think the ride is spot on (in fact "comfortable" on your average back road relative to the mini).

However, I will be sharing the car with my wife (inc kid carrying duties) so no aircon and no ABS is not an option really.

Was therefore thinking 182 with the cup suspension etc. Only thing is I remember test driving one from new a few years back and dismissing on the fidgety ride...?!

Either my ride preferences have changed or the 172 cup has a better ride than the 182 "cup"....?

Any thoughts gratefully received...

Paul

172 cup
me and my sis have the cups hers a 182 mine the 172. The 172 seems to be harsher over the bumps. And obviously the 172 dosn't have abs or a/c. I will also say the 172 is quicker

Black 172
me and my sis have the cups hers a 182 mine the 172. The 172 seems to be harsher over the bumps. And obviously the 172 dosn't have abs or a/c. I will also say the 172 is quicker

I have a 172 and I've got climate control :S

You've probably got used to the Mini which is stiffer. The 182 with cup packs rides nicely, firm but not jarring.

VaVa
My missus' MINI Cooper has the 'S' 17"'a and the sports handling pack to go with it.... and the ride is FAR worse than my 172 on Eibach Pros. Very harsh at low speeds.

No idea between the 172 Cup and the 182 with Cup packs, but can't imagine there's a great deal of difference.... the 172 Cup may be slightly firmer.

mini cooper s
Good to hear from people who've driven both (and or a mini!). Cheers

Maybe I was a bit of a sissy back in 2004 when I drove a new 182.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I've had both too (cup and 182 cup packed)

I would say the 182 felt less twitchy, propbably due to the 205 section tyres and more weight....

Not s massive difference, remember that also 172 Cup dampers will be older/more worn than a 182 being a few years older, and probably having more miles under its belt.

BG182®
I find the ride just right for me. I do a lot of motorways miles and its sits firmly on the road with no back breaking bumps. I have the 182 with cup packs although I was after a 172 cup. I opted for the 182 as the miles I do I just wanted something more comfy and better to sit in.

320d
I have a 172 and I've got climate control :S

He's on about the Cup models mate. However some 172 cups did have CC as an option.

With regards the 172 Cup v 182 Cup Packed, if your thinking of chopping te mini in for one then what about a 197. You have the new mini so the change would certainly cost you nothing.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Just change your tyres on the Mini to non runflats and keep it!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've had a 182 with cup packs (19k in 4 months), 172 Cup (25k in 10 months) and use a Cooper-S quite often. Mini's ride is terrible even on normal tyres. 172 cup is far more controlled. 182 is best out of the three for motorway use due to slightly better ride quality imho.

mini cooper s
Seriously all - thanks for all your helpful replies.

Trophy - tempting, and my mate said the very same thing but not sure how restrictive those Recaro's would be getting kids in and out and that trick suspension sounds potentially expensive if it needs fixing / replacing.

I've had a 182 with cup packs (19k in 4 months), 172 Cup (25k in 10 months) and use a Cooper-S quite often. Mini's ride is terrible even on normal tyres. 172 cup is far more controlled. 182 is best out of the three for motorway use due to slightly better ride quality imho.

It sounds like the cupped 182 is going to be the one for me. My mini is on normal tyres - ride / grip is a lot better but ride still far from controlled IMHO.

197's - I have thought about that but from the reviews I've read (e.g. Evo) the 182 is regarded at least as well, although I know there are a lot of opinions out there. I suppose with a 197 I would get warranty and build quality benefits, although a 182 plus change would be a nice bonus!

Just need to wait for a nice original cupped 182 to come up for sale now.

Cheers

Paul

Nimbus 197
I too read the EVO reviews, and had a Cooper S........

I went for the 197 in the end, the 182 felt poor (interior wise) after the mini.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Seriously all - thanks for all your helpful replies.

Trophy - tempting, and my mate said the very same thing but not sure how restrictive those Recaro's would be getting kids in and out and that trick suspension sounds potentially expensive if it needs fixing / replacing.

It sounds like the cupped 182 is going to be the one for me. My mini is on normal tyres - ride / grip is a lot better but ride still far from controlled IMHO.

197's - I have thought about that but from the reviews I've read (e.g. Evo) the 182 is regarded at least as well, although I know there are a lot of opinions out there. I suppose with a 197 I would get warranty and build quality benefits, although a 182 plus change would be a nice bonus!

Just need to wait for a nice original cupped 182 to come up for sale now.

Cheers

Paul
Rear access is fine with the Recaro's. The suspension is designed to rebuilt, not replaced, it's £350 for a rebuild of both front dampers. IIRC standard 182 dampers are £100 per corner, + fitting, so the cost difference is very little. Trophy is slightly firmer than a 182, but miles better than a Mini. Drive one before you decide, better residuals, and far better to drive.

mini cooper s
Rear access is fine with the Recaro's. The suspension is designed to rebuilt, not replaced, it's £350 for a rebuild of both front dampers. IIRC standard 182 dampers are £100 per corner, + fitting, so the cost difference is very little. Trophy is slightly firmer than a 182, but miles better than a Mini. Drive one before you decide, better residuals, and far better to drive.

Sounds like good very advice. Someone in our office already has a Trophy - maybe I'll have a word...

Might as well get a test in a 197 too I guess......

172 cup
if you want something that going to hold its value buy a trophy over a 197 fella. But if you want something newer that going to see a fair few miles get a 197.

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Trophy Trophy!!!!
Best of both worlds if you want to keep the pace from your cup but have the extra safety.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Drive them both fella. Only thing I would consider with the Trophy, the rear bench. If carrying kids, I'd want to swap to the rear seats from a 182, as the Trophy doesn't have headrests in the rear IIRC. Probably £200ish for a 2nd hand set.