ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs 197 vs Corsa VXR

Clio 182
My trusty 182 is coming up to 3 years old. Time for a change, so I've been looking at either a clio 197 or corsa vxr.

First, the 197. The engine is more flexible than the 182, more mid range, but still revs nicely. More elbow room and nice build quality. Still a good gearchange - but it is seriously undergeared, 6th is lower than 5th on the 182, you really do keep looking for 7th if you are cruising at 60+

Subjective I know, but it doesn't feel as quick as as the 182. Quick certainly, but seems to lack the immediacy of the 182.

Cornering / handling seem at least as good as the 182.

The standard radio/cd is rubbish, only 2 speakers, plus 2 tweeters that appear to have been borrowed from an cheap transistor radio circa 1966.

The Auto xenon lights, climate control & leather that are standard on the 182 are now just about 2k extras, so 18k before discounts.

Second the VRX. In silver doesn't look too garish, though the 18" wheel option looks a bit halfords.

Well finished, and seems to be rattle free. Engine is good, plenty of low end power that just keeps going. No lag, and good gearchange. Performance feels about the same as the 182. Steering is over light and rather dead, handling is OK, but the rear seems a little underdamped, possibly the 18" wheels weigh more than the standard 17's.

Again a cheap radio, but at least has MP3 capability and sounds better than the 197 unit.

No xenon light option, and equivalent spec to the 182 again 18k.

1st run is sold out, so 4 to 6 month delivery.

Both are good cars, fast and capable in everyday use. The low gearing in the 197 puts me off big style, so I'd probably do for the VXR.

But...neither of the above are significantly better than the 182. They aren't faster, more comfortable or better handling.

So, sorry Vauxhall and Renault, I think I'll keep me dosh in my pocket for while, and keep the 182 :)

80MPG BEEZA
saw a white vxr looked smart but personally i woukdnt get either go get an elise or exige or something small cars arent small anymore wait for the twingo sport or something

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Personaly id stick with the 182, mine is now 3.5 years old and i still love her. Out of the other two id say 197, new corsa is poo

dk

911 GTS Cab
My trusty 182 is coming up to 3 years old. Time for a change, so I've been looking at either a clio 197 or corsa vxr.

First, the 197. The engine is more flexible than the 182, more mid range, but still revs nicely. More elbow room and nice build quality. Still a good gearchange - but it is seriously undergeared, 6th is lower than 5th on the 182, you really do keep looking for 7th if you are cruising at 60+

Subjective I know, but it doesn't feel as quick as as the 182. Quick certainly, but seems to lack the immediacy of the 182.

Cornering / handling seem at least as good as the 182.

The standard radio/cd is rubbish, only 2 speakers, plus 2 tweeters that appear to have been borrowed from an cheap transistor radio circa 1966.

The Auto xenon lights, climate control & leather that are standard on the 182 are now just about 2k extras, so 18k before discounts.

Second the VRX. In silver doesn't look too garish, though the 18" wheel option looks a bit halfords.

Well finished, and seems to be rattle free. Engine is good, plenty of low end power that just keeps going. No lag, and good gearchange. Performance feels about the same as the 182. Steering is over light and rather dead, handling is OK, but the rear seems a little underdamped, possibly the 18" wheels weigh more than the standard 17's.

Again a cheap radio, but at least has MP3 capability and sounds better than the 197 unit.

No xenon light option, and equivalent spec to the 182 again 18k.

1st run is sold out, so 4 to 6 month delivery.

Both are good cars, fast and capable in everyday use. The low gearing in the 197 puts me off big style, so I'd probably do for the VXR.

But...neither of the above are significantly better than the 182. They aren't faster, more comfortable or better handling.

So, sorry Vauxhall and Renault, I think I'll keep me dosh in my pocket for while, and keep the 182 :)
whats wrong with a megane R26, from what you have said it sounds like just the thing, its fast that both of those, has all the spec of the 182, has the mp3 head unit and costs less than both at £16000 with xenons.

BMW M3
I had a 172 for 3 years and have had my current 182 for over 2 now. I must admit, I want a change. But I love my car so much, the colour alone puts such a grin on my face. Was driving my mates 172 home this morning, weather was grey and wet, the bird was driving mine behind. The electric blue colour with the xenons looked a peach.

You have to spend some money to replace that!

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Interesting piece on 5th gear recently, they put the 197 against the VXR. Despite the VXR having more grunt, it got it's arse handed to it by the 197 at Cadwell Park by a large margin.

I'm thinking of changing myself at the end of the year, a second hand DC5 or Focus RS could be on the cards but I've yet to go and test drive them.

D

dick

1.2 secs. not a large margin at all at these speed cars.
1.2 for an f1 car, ok thats alarge margin.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I dunno, the circuit is only 1.4 miles long. Plus there's a long uphill straight which should have favoured the torquier VXR. On paper the 197 looks to be the underdog.

Black/Gold 182
If I was looking at another hot hatch I'd go for a Focus ST or VW golf. ukmotorrprovider are doing the golf for around £17.5K and the ST are similar money.

Personally I want something more refined next. My 182 goes well and handles well but rattles like a b*stard, is too noisy on motorways and the dealers are a joke.

Next for me is either going to be an estate (maybe a 2 yr old 5 series is I can afford one or a VRS estate although the snob in me still says "no" to Skoda) or maybe a BMW 120D for the combination of performance (0.62 in 7.5s) and mpg (58 mpg on combined cycle), but a bit pricey.

I like the ST but the mpg is shocking apparently.

Clio 182
R26 is nice, and the right price - bit too much of a trackday car...I live in Cumbria, 20 miles from the nearest dual carriageway and 55 from motorway, all narrow, potholed B and fellroads, so small is beautiful, as is some suspension travel...my mate has just got an R26, in bright yellow with stickers. Very quick, great handling. I'll have tro have a punt in one.

I've been out in my 182 and been as critical as I can be, so the transmission clunks on full lock sound like bad design. The radio is crap and some of the plastics are iffy.

I visit the dealer when a service is due, they do an average job, for average money. Nothing has broken on the car, it doesn't rattle much and everything still works (2 years 9 months old, 22k miles).

Driving it is great, could do with a little more mid range, but that is what the gearbox is for:) It is brilliant on back roads, confident safe handling and sharp turn in. The brakes do seem a little soft and cheesy, but do the job.

It still makes me grin big, big style.... If I were rich I'd buy a 197. (thats a lie, if I were rich enough, I'd buy a VRX, a 197 and ferrari for the shopping run:) I'm not rich, so I'll keep the 182, and be happy.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
If I had to change my 182 tomorrow, I'd get an R26 from buymynewcar.co.uk for £15k. Free xenons, theres no better deal around.

Tangoed Works
why spend yet more money to get a car that is essentially the same and stay on the same spot. I would keep the 182 till i could afford to get a genuinely better car and not the a newer version of the same

I disagree that the 182 has sharp turn-in. The rack is very slow for starters. The 197 turns in much better with less body roll IMO :)

Albeit with less feel through the rim, but then my 306 makes the 182 steering feel like a joke so let's not go there ;)

LY 200
I would personally go for a liquid r27 or second hand meg 225 for what you'll pay.

Id stay clear of the VX corsa, that will be a bigger chav mobile than the new CTR in a few years time!!! ;)

Good bait. Deal or no deal?

Seriously though, the 128 PAS is full hydraulic yes? So why does my 1995 306 have better steering?

LY 200
^^^Lol...Bait!? Me bait!? Dunno what your on about chap!!! ;)

In all honesty mate, i came from a mk1 valver/hybrid with creaky/heavy steering so thats probably why the 182 feels alreet. Its alot easier to drive so you dont have to work on it much if thats what your getting at.

LY 200
I dunno mate...I thought that was the point of real power steering, it was supposed to be easy and light!?

Its never caused me or the car any damage to date anyway.

LY 200
^^^Lol...Well back to the mk1 i should go then mate and i reckon it would be better all round if you did the same, i wouldnt bother paying between 15 and 20k for a mk2 bread van if its steering your worried about!!! ;)

Clio 172 mk2
I would personally go for a liquid r27 or second hand meg 225 for what you'll pay.

Id stay clear of the VX corsa, that will be a bigger chav mobile than the new CTR in a few years time!!! ;)

You can't say that one here....the new CTR is the best thing since sliced bread.....or was that the outgoing model

...i wouldnt bother paying between 15 and 20k for a mk2 bread van if its steering your worried about!!! ;)

Good thought, except that I found the MkII Bread Van to have superb steering. Certainly nothing like the original. Better than the 182 IMO and the actual steering wheel is better by a factor of a thousand :)

You can't say that one here....the new CTR is the best thing since sliced bread.....or was that the outgoing model

I thought it was the slowest worst handling hot hatch in the universe? ;)

Clio 182
I've done 750 miles today - Whitehaven, Wolverhampton, Warwick, Bristol and back. 13 hours driving, motorways, A & B roads and cumbrian mountain roads. Remarkably, no jams or stops!

34.1 mpg, not racing, but not hanging around, average 56mph.

The 182 went perfectly:) And fun, too good to replace......

Nissan 350Z
Modern hot hatches have lost the plot. Thats why I ended up replacing my 182 with a nigh on 10 year old Honda.

If I had to choose though I would have the clio over the Corsa. The Corsa is a hideous charver car with crap handling. At least the Clio looks good.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
I test drove a VXR and the engine is pretty good to be fair, but the handling is nothin compared to the 197/R27, so I ordered an R27. The clio just feels so much better round corners

F/F Titanium 182
If your looking for a new small hot hatch the best of the bunch is probably the R27 but also consider the Cooper S (extremely well built).
If you fancy something bigger Focus ST is brill! new CTR is gutless bile (style over substance), get the jap import!

If your looking for a new small hot hatch the best of the bunch is probably the R27 but also consider the Cooper S (extremely well built).
If you fancy something bigger Focus ST is brill! new CTR is gutless bile (style over substance), get the jap import!

Yeah don't get the new CTR. Slow and handles like s**t.