ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 v’s Golf 2.0 TDI 140

BMW M3

Anyone know how the new shape golf Turbo D 140 compares to a 182 from say 30mph onwards and 50mph onwards. I know they propably have sh*t loads of torque, but blo*dy hell was i surprised. Noticed it turn up behind me on a A road just before i overtook a van and was pretty surprised that he didnt turn into a dot when i did. Roundabout: He did turn in to a dot, but then i let him pass me to see what this speed machine was powered by and thought "Dam!!" Diesel.... hoping it was a new GTI. " 2nd roundabout: He was quite far away and i did catch up but couldnt pass him without going into 7000rpm territory. Should my 182 compare performance-wise in this way or should i be worried about my wee toy....

(p.s. This is not a race-tale so please dont delete. I have tried my best for it not to be. All dual-carrage ways after single A road so totally safe and legal. The only thing i am guilty of is acceleration...)

heh reminds me when i was following a diesel van on some a roads late at night. he was using both sides of the road when the corners came up but bloody hell did it shift, when a straight came up that i could pass i needed 5th gear!

diesel power eh, lol, perhaps it was standard, or it could have been revod, either way im not suprised you struggled

BMW M3

Oh well.... put my mind at rest slightly. I didnt give it 100% but is amazing how this new diesels perform these days. Ive driven one of my mates older style 130 GT TDi golfs which it thought was rapid. Takes ages for the turbo to kick-in, but when i does you are thrown back into your seat. Very drivable but dont like the engine noise and narrow rev range.

yeh noise is a problem, but a chip and there running 200bhp easily, i remember seeing a video somewhere on here of a golf tdi rapping a imprezza on a strip

Quote: Originally posted by Justin182 on 15 July 2005

True... not cheap though!!
no, but the skodia fabia vrs is,and the the ibiza and leon are cheaper too, all run very similar engines, with the ibiza cupra being the quickest (tdi form)

i remember nearly being embarresed by a skoda fabia vrs when i was in my 182, it was revod tho

BMW M3

yeh, but i was refering to the cost of the chip to bring it to 200bhp rather then the standard golf. Do like the Leon, especially in Cupra R form...

BMW M3

Quote: Originally posted by Simon172 on 15 July 2005

DSG?
yeh... thats a point!!! Might have had one of those new paddle shift gear shifts. Meant to be really good and faster then a manual.

must have been revod

140 tdi golf with dsg

Fuel Consumption

Urban
34.0mpg - 8.3l/100km

Extra-urban
53.3mpg - 5.3l/100km

Combined
44.8mpg - 6.3l/100km

Engine emissions
170g/km

Engine noise levels
69.0dB

Engine maximum Speed**
124mph - 200km/h

Engine acceleration 0-62mph
9.7secs

Maximum output PS

at RPM

Maximum torque
236 lbs.ft / 320 Nm

at RPM

Insurance group rating

VaVa

I cant pass my mates A3 (same engine) until 75+ in a straight line. Theyre quite quick.

The 0-60 and top speed dont really tell the whole story. theyre quick in the midrange.

Run out of puff as the speeds get higher though. Between say 20 and 70 theyres nothing in it. Still soundds like a tractor and chucks out black smoke. lol.

BMW M3

Thats is quite a good price compared to other prices ive seem for similar performance gains. You could easily creep over into £1000 territory if you dont shop around and get carried away. (which i would.. lol !!!)

BMW M3

Yeh... well. The golf was in its elements as it was from about 30 and 50 onwards which diesels are good at. I know i would have blow him out the water had it been a 0-60 sprint and did start pulling away at higher speeds but was feeling responsible today so didnt go too fast. He then passed me at a ton 20 or so about a mile down the road which was probably near his max.

MKIII 138

almost 99% sure it will have been remapped.

182_blue my bro passed a 182cup (inferno) and he was giving it his all had a passenger though. he has a jabbad VRS fabia with some other mods i.e filter, intake relocation, lowered but basically its pushing anywhere between 180hp and 195hp on a cool day with massive torque around 310lbft compared with a 150lbft of the 182. he pulled quite easliy past the 182.. so diesels can be as faster than an ultra quick hothatch/supermini like the 182 having said that it may have been new and not run in as mine wasnt as whip crack quick when i first got it.

it is fookin quick though. i was wanting a Ibiza cupra as you know (teed) but cant afford at the mo. there really easy to drive and the torque is always there on tap.

btw you would be supprised at the ammount of chipped or remaped diesels flying about and not just boy racers either. there are loads of prestige tuning comanies doing this to mercs,bmws and audis with huge torque and impressive bhp gains also.

172 GTR

I was surprised at an A3 tdi the other day. I was in Boxster and I only pulled away slowly I did not thrash him???

BMW M3

well... chip or no chip... from whats been said i shouldnt really be worried by being given a run for my money by a diesel, especially as i wasnt ragging it 100%

(98% maybe lol!!)

MKIII 138

thing is the vrs is only grp 8 insurance so you can get nearly 182 pace for cheap. and fuel can be upto 45-50mpg.. a 182 can keep pace with a wrx to 100 so for a derv skoda to nearly keep pace with a 182 is saying something.

usually sound sh*te but after the filter and intake mod my bros doesnt sound that bad its very meaty.

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 15 July 2005

thing is the vrs is only grp 8 insurance so you can get nearly 182 pace for cheap. and fuel can be upto 45-50mpg.. a 182 can keep pace with a wrx to 100 so for a derv skoda to nearly keep pace with a 182 is saying something.

usually sound sh*te but after the filter and intake mod my bros doesnt sound that bad its very meaty.

what filter has he got ?, and whats his intake mod

MKIII 138

dont know the exact details but hes removed some of the front lower bumper. hes on brisk skoda (hellfire) if you wanna PM him or post a message the only thing he hasnt got is a miltek exhaust and a FMIC as the vrss is tiny just like the audi TTs but you wont have to worry about intercooler size that will you hehe ;)

Anyways i hope he doesnt mind me showing this this is post remap but not with suspension or intake mods and i was in the car also so its actually a bit quicker now..

just a general idea..

click free, scroll down and wait then click on the link

(no sound though sorry)

http://rapidshare.de/files/3085692/0-90.MOV.htmlhttp://rapidshare.de/files/3085692/0-90.MOV.html

not bad for a grp 8 derv skoda. smothly does it !! it can hang behind my 172 (which is a quick one) all day waiting for me to move over hehe.

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 15 July 2005

dont know the exact details but hes removed some of the front lower bumper. hes on brisk skoda (hellfire) if you wanna PM him or post a message the only thing he hasnt got is a miltek exhaust and a FMIC as the vrss is tiny just like the audi TTs but you wont have to worry about intercooler size that will you hehe ;)

Anyways i hope he doesnt mind me showing this this is post remap but not with suspension or intake mods and i was in the car also so its actually a bit quicker now..

just a general idea..

click free, scroll down and wait then click on the link no sound though sorry

http://rapidshare.de/files/3085692/0-90.MOV.htmlhttp://rapidshare.de/files/3085692/0-90.MOV.html

not bad for a grp 8 derv skoda.
hehe, you know it, thx for the link, just downloading it now

tiTTy & SV650

not read the posts but dont underestimate torque, a gttdi (150bhp) has a lot more torque than a 182 and will kill u in gear acceleration wise at motorway speeds.

BMW M3

Hummmm... that looks a familar sight. Very similar to my 182. I make the 0-60 in 7 secs but that is counting in my head.

MKIII 138

its a Mov file, its worth it though.

funny isnt it though about the PD130 engines and how such an inofensive diesel polo or fabia can be tuned up so much for so little outlay and embarass bigger machines.

i wouldnt say a untuned standard 150tdi would pull on a 182 it may get the jump but without having a petrol v diesel argument the 182 would pull higher up the revs back again and pass.. all im talking about is PD130/Pd150s tuned to 180/190 and big torque.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Justin182 on 15 July 2005

Hummmm... that looks a familar sight. Very similar to my 182. I make the 0-60 in 7 secs but that is counting in my head.
yeah look at the milege at the time !! only 6k not even opened up its much quicker now but at the time he took it easy in 1st to stop wheel spin and save the clutch. and that without the intake filter

its done a 6.5 to sixty :eek: verified.

BMW M3

Slightly off topic but dont you just love double de-cluching. Did it when i over took that van and just love it. From 5th to 3rd at 50mph... worked a treat. Only really started doing it in my 182 as i never bothered in my last car as it was a complete sh*t box.

P

peterh2

My housemate has an Audi A3 S-Line 2.0 TDI DSG and from 30mph to 80mph no matter what I try (even 1st gear at 30) my 182 will always loose 1/2 a car length on it. Both are totally standard! Its only supposed to be 140bhp I think and must weigh more.

its funny as i have had some crap heap cars keep with me on straights and i only just pull away from them. my mate has a 1.8 audi a4 and its a heap. but when we both pull of @ same time i only pull about 2 cars lengths ahead of him by the time i hit 60mph. will always remember the day my mate was givin it big one that his car would thrash the arse of mine he had evo 6. we got on a staright and by time we hit 60 mph he was only about 2 car length ahead of me. admit it was fatser than mine but even he was surprised that it was only that much quicker. he thought he weas going to leave me for dust lol

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 15 July 2005

My housemate has an Audi A3 S-Line 2.0 TDI DSG and from 30mph to 80mph no matter what I try (even 1st gear at 30) my 182 will always loose 1/2 a car length on it. Both are totally standard! Its only supposed to be 140bhp I think and must weigh more.
there supposed to be 140bhp, but there often quite a bit over that, then theres the torque