ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Tyre munching issue..

Clio 182
I had an off last year in the snow, hit the front right against a kerb, soon after i got a lot of vibration through the steering wheel at 60+ mph, a couple of weeks later it disapeared.. and the steering went loose and jiggly over a period of time.
About a month ago i got two new Hancook v12's on the front, after a visit to BTM yesterday, they are scrap.. the inside front edges have worn like crazy, so i had four new tyres put on and the tracking done, this has taken away the loose steering feeling but again, at 60 mph i get vibration through the steering wheel, obviously after time this screws my tracking up and eats my tyres.. so something on the front right is bent, but whats it likely to be? and can it be found before i spend a shitload replacing part after part..?

Lionel Richie
they were fitted and balanced by protyre yesterday, did i spot they used hammer on weights lee or did i make that up?

Clio 182
they were fitted and balanced by protyre yesterday, did i spot they used hammer on weights lee or did i make that up?
I didnt notice to be honest Fred, i am sure the minor off i had is causing the vibration though, maybe a bearing or something is slightly bent..

Use to work on clio race cars,
Have you checked your wishbone / anti rollbar. could cause a corner to be out. if it vibrating though and the wheels are balanced it sounds like a bearing issue.

does the car make and noises when moving from one full lock to another?

Clio 182
Okay... new lower arm/ball joint, bearing, driveshaft, track rod end, wheels balanced, alignment done (again).. still getting vibration..

Lionel Richie
its caused me to start drinking again this car! apart from the wheel balancing (120grams on one wheel) there's sod all wrong with it!

pb ph2 172
120 is way to much try having the tyre turned 180 degrees on the rim
a bent shock could cause the wear has it been put on a hunter tracking machine that can check camber toe castor etc

Clio 182
It went on a laser alignment system today, whatever brand Pro Tyre use.. i think you should start a loyalty scheme Fred! BTM points FTW! ;)

I'll scan the print out (after/corrected) if anyone wants a butchers..

pb ph2 172
also check how your wheels are siting in the arches by seeing how many fingers you can fit in between the tyre and the wing on one side and then the same place on the other side

Clio 182
Here's the latest print out, for some reason the car feels nowhere near as good as the first alignment, the 'weighty' feel seems to have gone, yet the setup seems pretty much identical..

p8011613.jpg