ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Turbo Gearbox Upgrades? Clutch?

ste 193

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi all...

I've brought an LSD for my 182 turbo... is there any other upgrades i should be doing whilst the gearbox is out / the LSD being fitted? I'm aiming for around 320/330bhp once the car is built back up. Also can anyone recommend a decent clutch?

Thanks!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Decent oil and a gearbox oil cooler are the only things that will help the jc5 stand up to that sort of power output in the long term. Redline mtl is the oil of choice.

Clutch wise I'd consider the Sachs clutch from pms. Cheap? No. more reliable than a helix paddle? In my experience, hell yeah.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
there is other stuff possible...the 'glasses mod' an extra reinforcement of the bearings at the outer end.
And there apparently are steel selectorforks (rare as rockinghorne poo though)
but at that power.....VAG box?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
there is other stuff possible...the 'glasses mod' an extra reinforcement of the bearings at the outer end.
And there apparently are steel selectorforks (rare as rockinghorne poo though)
but at that power.....VAG box?
They were only any good on grp a rally cars though mate. With 320/330bhp and a torque figure to match, it'll twist the casing irrespective of what you do to it.

Steel selector forks only came with the dog box kits from memory, but I can soon have some billet en24t items cnc'd up! Lol

Clio 182 sport
They were only any good on grp a rally cars though mate. With 320/330bhp and a torque figure to match, it'll twist the casing irrespective of what you do to it.

Steel selector forks only came with the dog box kits from memory, but I can soon have some billet en24t items cnc'd up! Lol
What other gearboxs are options to handle this kind of power? I've heard the cupra r box is good with the 6 speed? What sort of modification is needed to make it fit?

dan's cast offs.
you need bit more than that though, custom shafts, shift linkage, hydraulic clutch etc but pretty straightforward.

Clio 182 sport
Yeah I thought there would be a bit to it, just heard about it and starting to research it more. Defo worth getting a stronger box tho. I'll be speaking to my guru on wednesday so we'll see what he says on it. Had a look on EFI's page there, dealt with them before and were spot on. Have you much experience with either of the Jc5 or the o2m box's?

dan's cast offs.
unfortunately done a bit with the jc5

IMAG2435.jpg

we looked at machining the end of the casing off to bolt a billet end on but the case is crap on them, it's so thin in places it's a joke.

not done anything with the vag box yet, spoken to chris about the conversion and the boxes a few times. you can go for the o2j (?) 5 speed so you can keep the cable clutch but sqs do a 6 speed conversion kit. gear sets and diffs are a lot cheaper for the vag box as well.

Clio 182 sport
unfortunately done a bit with the jc5

View attachment 183429

we looked at machining the end of the casing off to bolt a billet end on but the case is crap on them, it's so thin in places it's a joke.

not done anything with the vag box yet, spoken to chris about the conversion and the boxes a few times. you can go for the o2j (?) 5 speed so you can keep the cable clutch but sqs do a 6 speed conversion kit. gear sets and diffs are a lot cheaper for the vag box as well.
Sounds like your a good few steps in front me lol. So you recon the o2m or the o2j are best options of box to use just need to decide which suits better such the 6 or 5 speed + cost + conversion type to how I want it to drive? Plenty to be thinking about lol

172 Turbo
The O2M conversions don't come cheap, but then again neither does 330bhp. Neither really required in a Clio!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Hi guys, what would you recommend for 330bhp the 4 paddle Or full face Sachs competition clutch kit from PMS?

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
At the risk of hijacking this, I've been looking at gearbox options for Hillclimb use on my GTT (with the C1J still). Firstly I understand that there are some things you just can't do without spending, but I'd like to look to the long term.

Why ask here if I've got a C1J? The standard box is is the JB3 and like the JC5 has a weak case. JB3s aren't available in Aus, so my starting point is the JC5.

I've also been looking at NDO, TL4 and PK6 boxes, but they're a fair bit bigger and heavier (extra gear, better case?) and would definitely require some kind of adaptor plate (within my capabilities).

I too have spoken to Chris at EFI about the VAG box and it's definitely an option.

The other option is a used motorsport sequential box, which brings lots of advantages (multiple ratio/final drive options) and while expensive even when buying used, it may pay off in the long term?

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
I'll add that power/torque of 300/300 would be (optimistically) the max.

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
I’ve been looking on the international race/rally part markets for a while and you’ll still pay 4000-6000 Euros for a Sadev ST85-17! It’s a fair price as you then have a fully customisable box with a heap of ratios and diff settings. Here’s hoping those numbers come in!