ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Time Bomb!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Anybody elses 182 sound like a ticking bomb when they get out after driving it?

Mine clicks and creeks and makes a hell of a noise underneath the car for ages, am presuming it is the exhaust but it is well loud and happens even after a short drive!

dk

911 GTS Cab

yeah I know, but mine is well loud, much louder than any other car ive owned (including the 106 GTi), just thought it may be louder because of the twin exhaust, see I told you mine was louder than yours Tom!!!

But Tom, why the change of Avatar?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Its because of the ultra expensive materials they use to make your exhaust(NOT)

ian

dk

911 GTS Cab

ahhh, just thought you were either dreaming or were going to surprise us!

Think Jeremy has just got his V6 as he has changed his description now!

*edit* this was aimed at Tom BTW before Jilly pushed in;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by JillyB on 30 March 2004

Dave, its because of the loud colour of your car!!

boom boom
LMAO

What with the timebomb exhaust, loud colour and knocking sound from the front I must have the loudest 182 around!

Its because of the ultra expensive materials they use to make your exhaust(NOT)

ian

LOL ! thats too true my car does that if ive been driving stop with the engine runing nip out to get money from cash machine and sound like i have a poo car.. only really old sh*tty cars do this. Its that damn exhaust expanding/contracting.. its not funny it nearly put me off buying one after the test drive and other people look and laugh.. it takes away the cool factor of owning a 172. so im going for the ktec discreet exhuast mainly for that reason. :mad:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

what makes you think its the exhaust?

could be the heat shields.

taking the woman out park next to a BMW or merc or anything really and as we walk away its there.. sounds cheap and tacky.. there fore it is,

new exhuast for me... with a cheap and tacky exhuast note hehe :oops:

GW Clio 200

My Cup also sounds like that, it has nothing to do with cheap materials. Its just as someone stated earlier the expantion and contraction of all the various types of metals.

People who Know mechanics or own powerfull / sporty performance cars will know its not a fault but a sign that its got performance in mind. only grannys and kids that hang outside sweet shops will say your cars sonds rubbish. its normal . my vts never did it

Its probably a combination of the heat shields and the CAT contracting after generating so much heat. I remember reading somewhere that some lambda sensors dont start operating properly till they reach something like 300 degrees C! Cant remember the figure exactly, but it was surprisingly hot!

Huw

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

You guys are so dumb.. everyone knows its a crazy pixie with a hammer that renault install into the exhaust.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 30 March 2004

You guys are so dumb.. everyone knows its a crazy pixie with a hammer that renault install into the exhaust.
lol

'04 172, '03 Hirsch 9-5

Its the standard exhaust.

I replaced it with a custom cat back in mild steel, and it went away imediately. They now have to replace the front silencer tho due it being cooked by the heat from the CAT.:eek:

Im not sure about the 182 but mine had a very thin section just behind the cat which I can only assume serves to disapate the heat from the CAT, and becasue it is so thin it expands and contracts very quickly....."ting ting ting"

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by tunni on 31 March 2004

i thought it was just my cup, which, has been made a lot crapper to save weight;)
id have probably agreed with that (until my superior built 182 started to do it!);)

A custom back box could alleviate the issue as usually ther is less insulation and/or bigger bore therefore heat dissipation will occur on a faster rate and the metal will be asked to expand less to accomdate this heat energy.

I guess Im in the minority here but my cup ticks and creaks after a run and it makes the smallest journey feel like it was a thrash around a rally stage!