ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 that wants to be a scooby

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Driving last night, went through a load of water on a dual carridge way.
Soon as i hit it engine managment light started flashing and its sounds like its running on 3 cylinders.
Still ticks over ok but lost alot of power and sounds like a rally car.
Sometimes when I put my foot down its clears briefly.

Any ideas what would cause this .. water in the coil pack?

Thanks

Renaultsport 220T
You could have sucked up water into the air filter and into the engine!

Pull out each of the spark plugs one by one, and turn over the engine each time. See if it pushes out any water.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Surly if it had got water in throu the i/k it wouldnt run though and seize up?

you got water in the electrics I bet. should sort itself out after a while. spray a little pentrating oil that will clear any water off.

lol Wd40 is expensive I always say penetrating oil because you can in essence get the same stuff in a different coloured can. (except its cheaper)

ITB'd MK1
i'd say water in the electrics, likely around the coil and plugs. I wouldn't use oil around these as it could be just as bad as water. Drying things out with a bit of compressed air would be better. If you cant get compressed air, an aerosol of brake/carb cleaner will work well and leave no oily residue :)

ITB'd MK1
yeah i know that :) , works fine, just oily residue is less than ideal in electrics. As an example, an oil leak from a cam cover into a plug hole can cause the same sort of misfire.

EP3 Civic Type R
WD40 is very good for getting rid of moisture on engines actually. Used to use it on the RS all the time as old Ford's could almost run on WD40 ;)

It should do the electrics no harm at all and is worth a try before looking at more expensive options...

PH1 172 Sport
I had this problem a few weeks ago the spark plugs, leads and coil are prone to getting wet. Take them out one by one and thouroughly dry them and douse the leads coil and the lead end of the spark plug in wd40. It is most likly one of the leads or plugs is wet.

I very much doubt there is water in the engine.

lol Wd40 is expensive I always say penetrating oil because you can in essence get the same stuff in a different coloured can. (except its cheaper)
Its about 3 or 4 quid for a big can you cheap skate.

:lolup: Go get a prostitute and have some fun will you! Miserable git

Whats the point paying more for something which is exactly the same?

Unless of course you can tell a difference :rasp:

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Right i have taken the inlet off and removed the plugs one by one.
I turned the engine over on each plug, no water come out.
The plugs/leads didnt look wet. Its still the same.

Any other thoughts?

The TDC sensor plus a load of cables are prone to get wet/dirty down there. I'd get the airbox off and have a look.

Check for anything loose/poorly connecting

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
The TDC sensor plus a load of cables are prone to get wet/dirty down there. I'd get the airbox off and have a look.

Check for anything loose/poorly connecting

Is this the one that sticks horizontally out the side of the engine below the air filter?

yep

P4270424.jpg

How did it go in the end?

ITB'd MK1
it's possible that one sparkplug had coked up when the fault originally happened and now it's struggling to make a spark even though the original problem isn't there now. Worth cleaning the plugs up properly (or getting new ones) but be very carefull if they're platinum or iridium tipped plugs

RB 182
Id say water in the engine myself. The way id normally check is if the air filter was wet, but i take it you've a open filter? You'd only really be able to tell by looking down the plug holes for water is if you'd really sucked up shitloads, as a little bit will dry up in no time with the engine temp. The engine wont totally seize up, again only if you'd well and truely sucked up the pacific. The only way to be 100% certian is to take the head off and see if any of the pistons are lower

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Id say water in the engine myself. The way id normally check is if the air filter was wet, but i take it you've a open filter? You'd only really be able to tell by looking down the plug holes for water is if you'd really sucked up s**tloads, as a little bit will dry up in no time with the engine temp. The engine wont totally seize up, again only if you'd well and truely sucked up the pacific. The only way to be 100% certian is to take the head off and see if any of the pistons are lower

I've taken the plugs out and spun it over no water come out the holes?

Yesterday it was kicking back in every now and then, but its stopped doing that and is running ruff all the time.

Plugs are ngk platinums they were scorched around the bottom of the ceramic bit?

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
id say its a problem with ur electrics then, if u had bent a con rod then the engine wouldnt kick in and run 100%. Have u a garage or anything u can leave the car in to dry out?

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Update ... Broken fuel injector was the problem, the force of the water had snapped the plug off the back.

So all in all not too bad ... should have the car back early next week.