ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 supercharged,turbo or throttle bodies?

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
spent many an hour going over the best route for such a setup, but costs for a well placed, designed, driven and non structurally intrusive setup is expensive, and even if the option was there, nobody would go for it i dont think.

Rest assured If I won the lottery, that is one of the many things I'd do. As well as buy an F40 lol.

I've always thought the cost would be the main factor stopping it from becoming mainstream though :(

Well if i won the lottery! i would obs buy a nice super car :) such as the SLR 722 but
what i would like to do... is to find the person that brought that 206 Cosworth and then get him on the dragstrip!!! an eat him alive with my Clio Cosworth, if it would be possible to make my clio 4wd with a cosworth engine 700bhp would do :p an small white sticking saying Cosworth Cup :)
im guessing it would be possible with like £250,000 ? :)

they have space so that setups can be cheap and easy.

I've never been remotely impressed with the offerings on saxos.

And the ctr's jackson setups come from massively backed US based companies who dont have to pay what we do to design and make what is required.

Rest assured If I won the lottery, that is one of the many things I'd do. As well as buy an F40 lol.

I've always thought the cost would be the main factor stopping it from becoming mainstream though :(

Well if i won the lottery! i would obs buy a nice super car :) such as the SLR 722 but
what i would like to do... is to find the person that brought that 206 Cosworth and then get him on the dragstrip!!! an eat him alive with my Clio Cosworth, if it would be possible to make my clio 4wd with a cosworth engine 700bhp would do :p an small white sticking saying Cosworth Cup :)

why a cosworth? THe YB is crap.

My friends dad builds them, and is very well known for it! does them for colin Mcrae, also the 206 was a cosworth so would have to be the similar just more power :p but i would want the best YB engine

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

if there so crap why have they been fitted in almost everything,dont tell me the f4r is better than the yb

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
i suppose the head will be the worst design he's ever seen x10,i'm not a ford person but a 2litre that was capable of 700bhp 20years ago doesnt seem that bad

Lionel Richie
he's a jap fan, i must admit i'm not a yb fan either

however the cosworth duratecs are pretty awesome, miles better than the F4R IMO

SLK32///AMG & 330ci sport
i have had a lot to do with the old YB's over the years and have to admit they are a good tuners tool, that said they aren't a patch on the modern jap 4 pot 2.0 engines from subaru and mitsubishi.

i remember having to pump 32psi into a cossie to get it over 400bhp, my subaru only needed 20psi to reach the same power goal and held together a lot better too.

that said in another decade or two i bet we have more fanastic engineering advances that may give us 400bhp at 10psi and 50mpg, one can only hope :)

lol.

why is the YB crap?

Crap might be an overstatement, but i'll take plenty of other engines before the YB.

As edde said, boost can indeed do wonderful things.....just look at what it does to the 20v vag unit, which in NA trim would be, and is, terrible.

But one thing explains the love for them..................cosworth. The gucci of marques.......your cool if your cosworth innit.

The YB, as you have predicted quite well, has an absolutely HORRIBLE head. It has massive 35mm valves, which even for today is fantastic, current civic type R's and the likes have only recently made the move to 35+mm inlets. Yet, for all the valve area it has, and admittedly, quite a nice flat chamber.......it flows almost aswell as a stock 172 head, but a 172 head has 2mm smaller valves, and the ex port considerably rapes the YB by about 15%.

The head can be made to flow well, but my god does it take alot of work and larger valves yet, so per valve area, its not the most efficient. A stock CTR head flows as good as a full bore YB head.

They are slung into everything because they are a 'cool' engine and there are extensive drivetrain solutions, parts are cheap, every man and his dog knows about YB's.

Its a fancy pinto.

The Millington Diamond took the design and made it work.....along with hart.

Why bother with a YB when you can run 640bhp on a stock K24 honda engine with a turbo kit, at considerably less money. Hell, 500bhp on a stock nissan SR20DET, and i hate those engines.....3sgte, beams....the list goes on and on.

YB is ok, but not worth the hype its got due to magazines and its racing history.

The Millington Diamond took the design and made it work.....along with hart.

so there engines aint so bad then like the others :) anyway i would want one because the other car had one so it would be a fair match.. but the one i would be using would be better :) if i won the lottery :> lol!!

220bhp octy VRS
all this talk of getting to 205bhp for £3.5-5K...for 20bhp...is it really worth it? flog the clio and get something with a bit more bolx to start with ! :)

R35 GTR
all this talk of getting to 205bhp for £3.5-5K...for 20bhp...is it really worth it? flog the clio and get something with a bit more bolx to start with ! :)

why? for £20k you can have a turbo'd 182 with all upgrades. With around 400bhp or more, ferarri killers...

MKIII 138
btw what would be cheapest and best ? supercharging (i.e jackson) a honda ctr or itr or turboing ? im sure you get big torque with the turbo and perhaps big power but usually a TB means induction noise is lost and lag is presant.
the supercharger would have both vtec and SC noise so would sound cool but then again the lack of torque and the poor mpg compared to an offboost turbo setup would be a downer.

btw what would be cheapest and best ? supercharging (i.e jackson) a honda ctr or itr or turboing ? im sure you get big torque with the turbo and perhaps big power but usually a TB means induction noise is lost and lag is presant.
the supercharger would have both vtec and SC noise so would sound cool but then again the lack of torque and the poor mpg compared to an offboost turbo setup would be a downer.

Personaly I'd go with the throttle bodies for the noise.

Or otherwsie I'd go for the turbo modern turbos can almost complety get rid of lag plus there more efficient.

Personally, throttle bodies are ok but I think after a bit you'll be a bit dissapointed with the gain, it's not neck jolting power. IMO if you want bigger power i'd go turbo route.