ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 stuttering

205 GTI, Clio 182
Was driving today. At low revs (sub 4000) the car was stuttering and cutting out under full throttle. As if it was low on fuel.

Any idea what I should be looking for? I am yet to look for faults using RSTuner.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Only under full, wide open throttle or at any throttle position?

205 GTI, Clio 182
Any throttle position.

Checked with RSTuner module, and no faults logged. Turned it on and pretty serious misfire. Checked and reseated all coils. I did give the engine bay a quick wash, but didn't get water anywhere near coils yesterday. What should I do next?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Remove the upper inlet plenum, pull out the plug leads and check the plug wells for water.... I bet they're full

205 GTI, Clio 182
Remove the upper inlet plenum, pull out the plug leads and check the plug wells for water.... I bet they're full

How hard is this to do? Dark here now, so may wait for morning. Any guide I can follow for piece of mind?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its an easy enough job and should take you 5-10 mins depending on how handy you are with the spanners, even in the dark. From the upper inlet plenum disconnect the MAP Sensor, Air Temp, Coilpack and Throttle Body multiplugs and then disconnect the plug leads from the coilpack itself. Note, the coilpack firing order, as you're looking at it is:

3 - 4
2 - 1

The lead position order, also as you're looking at it, is:

4 - 3 - 2 - 1

Remove the x8 10mm bolts that hold the plenum down (x5 on the front and x2 on the rear near the coil pack) then lift it clear. You will also have to oremove the brake servo vac line and the carbon canister feed. If you can't get these off do not worry as you will still be able to lift the inlet away to access the plug leads but you won't be bale to fully remove it from the area so it'lll be dangling there causing a bit of an obstruction to your view.

At this point it is important to ensure that nothing drops in to the exposed inlets... it will ruin your day if it does having to fish it out so cover it up with a cloth or similar to prevent this as accidents happen.

Remove the plug leads from the plug wells and with the aid of an inspection lamp/torch look down each plug well for signs of oil or water ingress. Any fluid in this area will give the ignition charge a better path to earth than the spark plug offers and so causes the charge to arc across the cylinder head instead of giving a good ignition source.... its fairly common on these after people have washed the engine down.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Cleaned my engine last week and same problems! Water was sat in the coilpack, not good!

205 GTI, Clio 182
Awesome. Will report back with findings. I suspect it's water too. That said, it drove well for about 100km in the 2 journeys I made directly after it. It was only when I floored it in 1st hard, that it started happening.

205 GTI, Clio 182
Local Renault dealership helped me out and we blow dried the plugs dry. All working perfectly now. Great guys at Cartwright Euro Gold Coast.