ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 steering wheel removal

BG FF 182
As above, I've just purchased a new steering wheel & would like to know if this is an easy job to do? I've read the guide & it doesn't seem that bad, but I'm not very mechanically minded & wanted to know if it's possible for a rookie like myself to be able to do it?
cheers.

FF Clio 182
Most important thing is to take the fuse out for the horn ( Could be noisy otherwise trying to pry it off) and the fuse for the airbag. I always disconnect the battery also. Once the fuses are removed leave it for 30 min to discharge and power then off you go.

Pretty simple to do, just be careful when taking the wheel off that you don't pull the connections in the middle too far off.

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
The trick is to slacken the big torx bolt but not remove it entirely when you come to pull the wheel off.

This way you can get the wheel loose. Then feed all the wires out the back. Then remove bolt and take wheel off.

Also stops you potentially punching yourself in the face. ;)

Its pretty simple tbh. Don't bother with the fuses just disconnect the battery.
Then turn the wheel 90 degrees so you can see behind it then use a screwdriver to pop the U shape metal clip holding the airbag on. Turn the wheel 180 degrees so you can see the one on the other side, pop that off. Remove/unplug airbag. Turn the wheel back to straight Then loosen torx screw in the very centre but don't remove it completely. Maybe half undo it. Then you can tug on the wheel to your hearts content without worrying about pulling the wires. Once the wheel is popped loose, completely remove the torx bolt and remove the wheel disconnect and feeding the wires through the hole

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
When you put the new wheel on make sure the airbag is all properly plugged back in (assuming the wheel is standard). One plug on mine wasn't quite pushed in all the way and it threw up the airbag light - I had to take it all back off again to fix.

BG FF 182
Its pretty simple tbh. Don't bother with the fuses just disconnect the battery.
Then turn the wheel 90 degrees so you can see behind it then use a screwdriver to pop the U shape metal clip holding the airbag on. Turn the wheel 180 degrees so you can see the one on the other side, pop that off. Remove/unplug airbag. Turn the wheel back to straight Then loosen torx screw in the very centre but don't remove it completely. Maybe half undo it. Then you can tug on the wheel to your hearts content without worrying about pulling the wires. Once the wheel is popped loose, completely remove the torx bolt and remove the wheel disconnect and feeding the wires through the hole

cheers mate, doesn't sound too bad!

BG FF 182
When you put the new wheel on make sure the airbag is all properly plugged back in (assuming the wheel is standard). One plug on mine wasn't quite pushed in all the way and it threw up the airbag light - I had to take it all back off again to fix.

Thanks for the heads up mate, that sounds like something I'd do...