ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 slides everywhere in the rain

RB 182
Ok so i cant help but thinking there is something wrong with my car because in the rain i have barely no control going around bends, i was going around a round about yesterday , not very fast at all and the back end kept kicking out an loosing control, esp was turned on also. I have checked the tread on all the tyres an theres loads left, it never seemed to be this bad but its like its getting worse, does anyone else have this problem at all?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Check tyre pressures, then the condition of your dampers, then get alignment done.

RB 182
yeah its infinitys on all four , are they totally s*it? they came on the car, not had it that long like

182 Cup
If you can, get PE2's maybe, i had 4 fitted a few weeks ago, awesome in the wet!

Agreed. People often resent paying out for tyres (and the Michelin PE2's are expensive), but you're missing out on 50% of the car in the case of a 1*2 if you skimp on tyres in my opinion.

Megane R26
What's your budget?

It does annoy me when people skimp on tyres (not your fault here), especially on something which is probably driven hard.

RB 182
well in my opinion its really quite dangerous in the rain, an thats driving sensibly, so I am going to look into replacing them an if they are the best i may aswell get them, what are the r888's like?

Megane R26
well in my opinion its really quite dangerous in the rain, an thats driving sensibly, so I am going to look into replacing them an if they are the best i may aswell get them, what are the r888's like?

Semi slick tyres wasted in most circumstances - not worth the cost unless you want to track it.

182 Cup
888's are good for track work, but they don't come in the right size for standard 182 rims and they wear very quickly. They are also not a good choice if you want secure wet weather grip on the road.

Michelin PE2's really are the best you'll find for dry and wet conditions on a 182. They may not look fancy, but they really are excellent - even good for the odd trackday.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I highly rate pe2s to, but got some toyo t1rs on the front as the moe cos there a good price

182 Cup
For your info.

From Michelin:

Michelin do, indeed, produce 3 products in the basic tyre size & tread pattern mentioned:

205/45 R 16 83V ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ (V=Max speed 149mph)
205/45 ZR 16 83W ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ (W=Max speed 168mph)
205/45 ZR 16 87W ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ Extra Load (High load @ high pressure)

The ‘V’ Speed Rated product is the preferred fitment for the quoted vehicle model.
Initially, 2 products were available, but this situation was ‘honed’ down to the one product, listed above, ‘tuned’ to that specific suspension setup & fitted as original equipment.

The other 2 products listed are ‘tuned’ to different manufacturers’ vehicle models. The ‘83W’ product would be an option, only in case of difficulty with supply/availability of the ‘83V’.

The ‘87W Extra Load’ product would not be considered valid for the quoted model, being designed for a potentially heavier vehicle: higher load capacity at increased tyre inflation pressure value.

Thank your for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

Technical Support
Campbell Road
Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 4EY

Telephone: 0845 366 1535
Facsimile: +44 (0) 1782 403258

RB 182
For your info.

From Michelin:

Michelin do, indeed, produce 3 products in the basic tyre size & tread pattern mentioned:

205/45 R 16 83V ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ (V=Max speed 149mph)
205/45 ZR 16 83W ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ (W=Max speed 168mph)
205/45 ZR 16 87W ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ Extra Load (High load @ high pressure)

The ‘V’ Speed Rated product is the preferred fitment for the quoted vehicle model.
Initially, 2 products were available, but this situation was ‘honed’ down to the one product, listed above, ‘tuned’ to that specific suspension setup & fitted as original equipment.

The other 2 products listed are ‘tuned’ to different manufacturers’ vehicle models. The ‘83W’ product would be an option, only in case of difficulty with supply/availability of the ‘83V’.

The ‘87W Extra Load’ product would not be considered valid for the quoted model, being designed for a potentially heavier vehicle: higher load capacity at increased tyre inflation pressure value.

Thank your for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely

Technical Support
Campbell Road
Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 4EY

Telephone: 0845 366 1535
Facsimile: +44 (0) 1782 403258

thanks for the info, definitely going to get me some of them

DMS

A thirsty 172
Get either Michelin PE2's or Pirelli P Zero Nero's.
I used to get PE2's all the time but started buying P Zero Nero's because they're cheaper and I really can't tell the difference between the two in the wet or dry.

Make sure they're properly inflated too. I think it's 33psi front and 30psi rear? Or slightly more if you do a lot of motorway miles.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
There are several tyres out there that outperform the Michelin pe2 on the Clio. The 2 best I've used have been the Goodyear f1 gsd3 and the hankook v12 evo, which are roughly half the price of pe2 and grippier in all conditons. Pzero aren't bad, but from memory wore quite quickly. T1r aren't one I'll ever use again. R888 are not suitable for day to day use, you won't get them up to temp.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I found myself getting through a set of P Zero's about once every 3-4 months.
I'm boosted now though, so chances are it'll be once every 3-4 days.

Might give the Hankooks a try. Heard good things about them lately.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I found myself getting through a set of P Zero's about once every 3-4 months.
I'm boosted now though, so chances are it'll be once every 3-4 days.

Might give the Hankooks a try. Heard good things about them lately.

Do you do a lot of miles if the P Zeros wore out so quickly?

Titanium 182
Eagle F1's are hands down the best tyres I've had in the wet. I've got Conti'Sport Contacts on my 172 atm and they're brilliant, in both wet and dry and have an awesome grip/wear ratio so I'm happy with them.

Also worth mentioning they're what Renault put on the 172 as standard.

Nothing at the mo :(
Dont give it the beans in the rain?? not worth it in the rain tbh.. nice calm driving in rain is the best way

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Eagle F1's are hands down the best tyres I've had in the wet. I've got Conti'Sport Contacts on my 172 atm and they're brilliant, in both wet and dry and have an awesome grip/wear ratio so I'm happy with them.

Also worth mentioning they're what Renault put on the 172 as standard.

I like conti sport contacts too.

If i had a 182 i'd run PE2'S.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I like conti sport contacts too.

If i had a 182 i'd run PE2'S.
Why are people so unwilling to try anything new? Here's how the tyres ended up in the massive German tyre test.
In Germany annual tyre tests are the norm. Auto Zeitung is Germanys oldest and most respected trade magazine and they have just published their 2009 tyre test.

The results are surprising. Including both the measured data, and the subjective scores the final results looks like this:
1. Pirelli P Zero
2. Continental Sport Contact 3
3. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
4. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
5. Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A
6. Michelin Pilot Sport 2
7. Uniroyal Rainsport 2
8. Nokian ZG2
9. Goodyear Eagle F1 A
10. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
11. BF Goodrich G-Force Profiler
12. Firestone firehawk S790
13. Fulda Carat Excelero
14. Kumho Ecsta
15. Bravuris Barum
16. Toyo T1R

The Pzero did very well, but is a different compound to the clio fitment.