ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - Renault engine management software update...

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Took my car to Renault this morning due to steering wheel vibration at about 70 mph and occasionally getting an engine warning light come on. They've told me there's nothing wrong with the car mechanically (including wheels and tyres) but it has a faulty upstream oxygen sensor (I think that's what he said!) but is also in need of an engine management software update. He said the techs think the sensor and current software could be causing the vibration through a sequence of events. Does that sound right? I'm not really up on engines or mechanicals etc so I really have no idea but I've never heard of that before. I also wasn't aware about this new software update either. Anyone else had that done?

Thoughts, comments and advice appreciated.

LY 172
I'm sure the car was fine when it left the factory, so it wouldn't be a software problem

Vibration is probably a wheel weight has fallen off.

Their may well be an update tho

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Cheers bud. My initial thoughts were that it may have been a wheel needing balancing but apparently they checked them and they are fine. I'm not sure how electrical issues would cause steering wheel vibration but then I don't know much about it really.

A.N. Other
An O2 sensor just helps the engine to run the fight air/fuel mixture. There are 2 (IIRC), one before and one after the catalytic converter (again-I think that's where they are!)
They do fail over time, but it's not going to cause vibration, it'll just be a wheel off balance, especially if the vibration disappears above say 80mph (which you'll need your own private road to test, of course)