ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Reluctant Starting?

182 BG
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice as I'm out of ideas..

I've got a BG 204 182 that sometimes really doesn't want to start... Sometimes it'll turn over and over and over trying to 'catch'... It almost catches but never quite enough.. However you press the gas and it always catches straight away! Sometimes it'll start then cough, splutter and stall.. Though same again, prod the gas and it'll keep going and settle down to idle just fine..

Doesn't seem to be any pattern to this, sometimes it'll start fine, other times it'll struggle... Hot/cold makes no difference as far as I can see!

Had new filters, sparks, leads, coolant done about 3 months ago (correct NGK plugs used), along with a new TDC sensor and wiring loom fitted by Mick at Diamond (had serious problems with hot starting, cured by this), furthermore about 3/4 weeks ago had full belts, dephaser etc also done by Mick at Diamond..

Any ideas?! No codes showing up on my OBD2 reader..

Cheers,
mctw

EDIT - temp gauge goes up to halfway and stays there quite quickly, fan only comes on in stop start traffic (and even then very rarely), never moves from halfway!

Renault Clio RSI
I have the same problems with my Clio 1.6 16v 2002 model RSI.

Did you find any solution to this, because it is starting to make me feel that there is nothing anyone can do about it.
I took Her to various mechanics and none of them had any success, also no error codes are showing up on their side too.

If you found the solution, i would greatly appreciate if you can share with me, I love my little Joan of Arc. she is just to beautiful to be sold.

Thank you

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Before starting - Try turning ign on, off, then on again so fuel pump primes up and start. The fuel pressure reg goes weak in tank and causes starting issues but usually start ok after fuel pump primes.

Renault Clio RSI
Hi there Brigsy, I think I have found the problem.

Usually when I drive my clio 1.6 16V RSI it gets very hot, "AS IN VERY HOT" temprature guage goes like 65% up.

I recently hit the highway and thought perhaps to push her to 220Km/h, she achieved and reached that speed very easily, and without effort.
However When I reached my Destination by driving over 60Km from where I live, I tried to start her again. this time the temprature was over 100%, almost as if it wants to go over the markings on the temprature guage.

I found that my radiator fan isn't working at all, and also replaced the battery, and if I start the car, it hesitates and starts almost as if something is drawing too much power, affecting the starting procedure.

I have replaced temp sensor, cam sensor, almost everything there is, but still problem, so yea, I think this heat thing and the radiator fan is the culprit, I don't know if a relay went or what,

Thank you in advance
Hoping You're well

Arthur Lindsey