ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 rear wheel bearing problems

2005 Clio 182
Hi guys

2005 182 recently replaced the rear discs and bearings, they were genuine from Renault...but 60 miles down the road they have gone again?! Is there supposed to be a spacer shim somewhere? Or have I got issues elsewhere?

182cup & 172 racecar
Who changed them? And yes there is a spacer washer that sits behind the disc, and this needs to be there.

Cup In bits
Profiled shim behind the disk to support the bearing. £7 a side from Renault.

edit:too slow

2005 Clio 182
I fitted the bearings myself and am a Porsche tech so a competent mechanic. The guy who owned the car said he had a go before and wasn't sure if the washers were there! I had better strip down and check....do you guys have any pictures of where this shim goes or anything?

Cup In bits
It just goes over the the stub before the disk goes on, it is profiled so that the inner radius of the stub axle and the flat face of the cassette bearing meat correctly and allow proper support for the bearing, most remove the disks without realising that they stick to the back due to grease and are thrown away.

Phone Adam for cheap Renault parts on 01902 439264 and he will know what your looking for.

182cup & 172 racecar
I fitted the bearings myself and am a Porsche tech so a competent mechanic. The guy who owned the car said he had a go before and wasn't sure if the washers were there! I had better strip down and check....do you guys have any pictures of where this shim goes or anything?

Not saying you weren't mate, but I have a mate who's been in the business for 30yrs, and he didn't know they were there either.

http://www.cliosport.net/content/guides/fubar/rear_discs.pdf

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Find this so random, seams to be happening loads lately. So obvious the shim is missing when doing it to.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've never been shown, or told how to do it, the back of the disc clearly looks different with/without the shim.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I think the argument is, if you whip a disc off and shove another on, you don't notice that the spacer is stuck to the old disc.

You can see it in step 4 of that guide that's been posted FYI.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its fairly easy to miss, my old man missed it and he was a Senior mechanical engineer for 35 years! Renault call it a 'thrush washer' apparently.

2005 Clio 182
Makes me feel a bit better knowing everyone else does it! Trouble I had is fixing someone else's f**k up! Thanks for your help :)