ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Pwr Band narrow than Kate Moss waist

Even a diesel seems to have a wider power band.

I love loads about my 182. Only two things let it down - now Ive run it in.

1. Clicking relays - has Renault realised this is the 21st century.

2. Power Band - to me the engine seems like a VTEC without the benefit of a 9000rpm red line. This has to be one of the hardest engines to keep on the boil on sale today.

IMHO - an Impreza would be far into the distance whilst you get enough revs to get this car moving. I really struggle to think my 182 could even think of living with a Scooby. In fact my old Fabia RS (with chip) would leave the 182 for dead in the mid range. Would lose its straight line advantage on the corners though.

Handling wise - in the dry at least, I cant remember any car Ive owned being so nice- certainly nicer than any Cooper S. Shame its so damn slow on the straights.

Jonathan

erm why is it hard to keep on the boil we have things called gears you use them to make you able to stay within th epower it will pull all the way from 4000 to 6500 no problem

and its not a slouch from idle either or atleast my 172 isnt

Revels Mum & Sister

I think you Just have to Learn to keep it in the sweet spot

Makes it more fun to drive. And the cup/172/182 all can live with some fast cars.

Im used to car that you need to keep in a sweet spot, but come upto a roundabout at 20mph in second and then boot it and it a long wait for it to hit that sweet spot, especially if the exit is up hill. I do realise there is a first gear, but my point is that this is one damn hard car to keep on the boil.

I find that going up my favourite local hill that the 182 doesnt feel that quick as I exit the same roundabout I have done for 12 years in lots of different metal. Find myself geeing it up there.

Jonathan

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

My Cup has no problem 20mph in 2nd... in fact, 20mph n 2nd is like second heaven for Cup owners....

and for that matter 172 owners as well!

Kinda know what your saying about it coming in a bit late!! I thought they improved the time the maximum torque comes in. Basically its classic behavior for the 2.0l 16v engine as the old goft Gti were the same. my mates 8v had more low end but the other mates 16v had more latter go. anyone mechanically minded will explain it better. along with resons . surley you test drove it first??

Erm,

Autocar said that 80% of 182 s torque is available from 2000rpm, thats roughly, 120lb/ft, surely thats enough pull lowdown to start things moving??!!

Jeez - a 182 slow on the straights and has a thin power band? What are kids smoking these days? Fine comment if youre used to some supercar, but not compared to a TD or Cooper S!

Try a Clio Valver if you want the definition of a thin power band!

sounds like you have a bad un, take it back.

I dont know why but we had 2No different 172s. First one was a Phase2 02plate Import which seemed like a slug so we took it back. The next one and current model was a mk1 172 exclusive 02plate. This is a totally different kettle of fish very rapid at any point in the rev reange. And this is not a poke at ph2 or import owners as im sure there are imports and ph2s quicker than mine. I think the first car was from a bad batch probably a friday car or something. It should definatly beat any other hatch in any gear with the exeption of R32,FocusRS Pulsar GTi-r and ClioV6 etc. In otherwords the elite sub 6 secs club.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

My first 172 was a bag of spanners, couldnt pull the skin of the preverbial!!The pull low down on the replacement car was like comparing night and day with the first one.

2nd gear , 20mph in the Cup prior to my bro modding it was also very quick!!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 29 March 2004

Give it more miles and let the thing loosen up...
What ^^ he said.

Just because youve done a few k, doesnt make it "run in" in terms of loosening up the engine to make the most power it can..

I reckon running in might be the answer

I had a CTR and a Coop S before my cup and the cup has more lowdown urge than the ctr and the throttle is a million times sharper than the S.

That said I often feel as though Im going 10 - 15 mph slower than I am which never happened in the other two cars. I reckon its just that the cup and presumably the 182 has very well judged damping.;)

Tappd'd RS

my old cup was certainly more urgent thru the rev range than the CTR - surely the 182 is gonna be the same, or even better!

VaVa

My 172 sometimes seems to take a while to get going from slow second gear roundabouts..... but I wouldnt say it was hard to keep it on the boil otherwise.........

Quote: Originally posted by saxo2clio on 29 March 2004

Erm,

Autocar said that 80% of 182 s torque is available from 2000rpm, thats roughly, 120lb/ft, surely thats enough pull lowdown to start things moving??!!
120lbft is not earth shattering though. At the same revs my Fabia had over 300lbft. It also had the same peak power as the Clio.

Maybe it was a long time since I owned a NA 2.0 car with similar lowish HP and Torque. Thinking back it was 98 and my wifes 306 GTI6.

Dont get me wrong I love the car on a B road and the handling is great. Not thinking of changing it or owt like that. Worried that I might have to start modding it to get some real fire in its belly though.

Jonathan

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Chins on 29 March 2004

120lbft is not earth shattering though. At the same revs my Fabia had over 300lbft. It also had the same peak power as the Clio.
Dont even try to compare a TDi with massive amounts of low down torque to a petrol engine...

All the action is 5000rpm and above, but as the engine loosens up they gain low end grunt too.

If you want more low-down & mid-range power then a carbon airbox such as a Pipercross Viper or a BMC CDA will help!

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 29 March 2004

think a 182 has a narrow powerband drive a ctr and youll know what narrow powerband is like
Try an Accord Type-R then! - 5800-7500 rpm, and it needs alot of practice not to drop out of the zone on gear changes!

Hmmm I think youll find that you Fabia vRS never had 300lbft of torque - more like 228lbft.

On another note - whats the power band of a diesel like - not exactly the boradest that Ive ever encountered even the modern BMW/VW diesels.

""""That said I often feel as though Im going 10 - 15 mph slower than I am ""

weird me too ! ?! i never know if iam really going as fast as my speedo says.. like at 70 its feels like 50? but im still overtaking cars i know to be fast?

I did do some checking on the drive to work this morning and the car really gets going at close to 5000rpm, leaving less than 2000rpm of real acceleration. Find a real step in performance at 5000 rpm, esp in lower gears.

Jonathan

go to dealer for a re-installation of your computer software bits!!!!!! mine lost power overnite, dealer plugged in his laptop and hey presto - back to being super fast!!! WARNING!! the dealer seems to think my slow version was normal so there is a chance that some 172/182s come out of the garage not exactly right!!!

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 30 March 2004
you dont say lol ;)

what I mean is that if you car is buggered from day one, you will never know that it should be faster....Im not disputing that reno sometimes make friday afternoon cars!!!