ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 problems!

Hey,

My Clio 182 that I picked up a couple of weeks ago is having some minor issues (and plenty of rattles but I can deal with them). At the mo Im not sure whether to take it in or not....

Firstly when I accelerate hard away in 1st gear at about 5k rpm I get a really really loud knocking noise. It doesnt do it in any other gear no matter how I try, so Im not sure how it can be engine mounts!?? I tried briefly with no ESP / Traction control on and even more weiredly I seemed to lose power until I changed gear, this is still around 5k rpm remember!

Secondly my cigaretter lighter dont work, it wont even pop up. Bit of a blow cos I might want a road angel etc in the future.

Any ideas?

k have to be tommorow now I guess. Its a really difficult problem to explain properly so hopefully I can get the engineer to come out briefly while I demonstrate.

i have had 2 renaultsports and on both when you floor it in first it sounds like the engine is about to fall out (massive metalic banging), this is quite normal !!!! on the 172/182 its a known problem that never got fixed, or do you mean engine noise ?

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 27 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by edgerfs on 27 December 2004

My bad there, its not new. Its 2000 miles old I "picked it up" used :)
makes no difference, still under warranty
yeah makes no difference, its a new car and shouldnt have any problems whatsoever really. if id bought one brand new I wouldnt expect any rattles etc or problems until its got some decent miles on it, then its wear and tear. as it is its defective good, so book her in and make Reno fix it for free while you can. dont leave it though, problems will only get worse m8.

Quote: Originally posted by edgerfs on 27 December 2004

Yeah its big metallic banging! Reallly loud and does it in no other gear. What do you do accelerate through it?!
you learn not to accelerate it so hard in first, but when you do get it just accelerate through it, dont worry it wont damage it, i dont think theres a 172/182 that doesnt do it

Well theJesus if the banging described in first is normal then really the only problem is the cigarette lighter, which is probably worth me trying to fix myself.

The rattles are small really, I think most reanaults have them, one from the boot, sometimes one from passenger seat, dash etc.

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 27 December 2004

you learn not to accelerate it so hard in first, but when you do get it just accelerate through it, dont worry it wont damage it, i dont think theres a 172/182 that doesnt do it
Ok cheers m8 thats reassured me a fair bit! Thanks. Just the ciggy lighter to worry about then....

yeh they all rattle and they all bang, joys of renault ownership LOL,i have just had a new exhaust on my new 182 and a washer jet(only a couple of months old too) anyway try the ciggy lighter yourself, check its not the fuse, and check the connections under the lighter, if that doenst do it take it to renault

my cars 10 years old and has no rattles, i think for a new car to have them is unacceptable. chances are its things like screws in the dash that are loose etc.

unsure on the banging, sounds like drive shafts when they struggle for traction...?

Just had a thought on the cig lighter, the previous owner put in a bluetooth wireless phone kit so its probable he hard wired it to the cig lighter connector, preventing the cig lighter from working. Doh!

Well the fuse is shared with the radio & clock so it cant be that, Ill check out the wiring tommorow too bloody dark now!!

Thanks again for ur help tho m8.

hope you get it sorted, ps renault might not cover it under warranty if someone has been playing with it (installing bluetooth)

Hi Guys, Im new to this Forum, normally posting under the guise of "audia8s2" on tyresmoke but now I have had a clio 182 for four months there seems to be little interest in the French forum there, so glad to have found you. Just to respond to this problem, my Clio has always made the terrible banging from the front end when accelerating hard in 1st and I assumed it was the ABS/traction control but a tad harsh. I have just taken the car in for an unrelated fault and they picked up on this problem being the knock sensor for the ABS (apparently this was a recall part but Ive never been informed !!). They have replaced it and it is ten times better, you still get some noise but it doesnt sound or feel anywhere as bad. I hope that is of some help.

Cheers Ben.

All ABS systems have a mechanical (for want of a better word) warning that the ABS is operating. Maybe knock sensor is the wrong word but thats how the garage described it. All I know is the problem has been solved and I have no more harsh "banging" from the front end..................

tiTTy & SV650

is the banging not something to do with the engine mount which has been subject of lots of other posts? I notice it when I change up a gear when Ive accelerated pretty hard in 1st or 2nd, i assumed it was the engine block moving???