ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or 197

Clio 182
Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I will have a budget of £4000 but I'm undecided whether to buy a 182 or 197. I'm leaning towards a 197 but I'm concerned £4000 will only get me one with high mileage and is perhaps a little bit tired.

Clio 182
Get a mint 182 for £4K with belts ect done [emoji4]
That would be sensible, I don't want to have to spend a load of cash on having to do a load of servicing on a 197 not long after buying it.As you say £4k on a 182 would buy a pretty decent one.

Clio 182
Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I will have a budget of £4000 but I'm undecided whether to buy a 182 or 197. I'm leaning towards a 197 but I'm concerned £4000 will only get me one with high mileage and is perhaps a little bit tired.
You will get a trophy for that which is quicker, looks better, has better seats and suspension, is a limited edition so it will hold value, handles better, lighter and cheaper to maintain, the only downfall is that its older.
It's going to be my daily driver so would a f/fat 182 be a more comfortable option?

Clio 182 - RB
I bought a Racing Blue 182 6 months ago from DTM Cars, #FSH, belts just done, new tyres all round - Its been 100% hassle free driving as my daily, so happy i got it!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
i know people that have bought decent 182s for £1500 with belts done and had trouble free driving...

Cars still worth the same money...

Why not buy the best cheaper car and keep the money in your pocket.. Just because it costs more doesn't make it better...

Clio 182
i know people that have bought decent 182s for £1500 with belts done and had trouble free driving...

Cars still worth the same money...

Why not buy the best cheaper car and keep the money in your pocket.. Just because it costs more doesn't make it better...
Good point, guess I'm like everyone just want to get the best car I can. Not had a lot of luck buying cars.

Mini GP2
Don't waste your time looking at a 4K 197 unless you want a car with high miles with 4 budget tyres in need of a belt service and various other items. Get a well sorted 182 and enjoy.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Last week on autotrader there was a 62k 182 trophy with all belts done going for £3k.

A 197 of the same quality would go for about £7-8k

personally is go for a 182 purely because it's one of the last hot hatch models to actually be the size of a hot hatch. (As opposed to a smaller family car)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That was my concern that £4k wasn't going to get me a good enough 197, but £4k is the most I can go to.

My thinking is get a better specced and more looked after older car than a shed of a newer one.

You may get lucky and find a well looked after, well specced 197 for £4k but from what I've seen, they're all 06 plate Pov spec ones

Iceberg PH1 172
Trophy all the way.
better seats
exclusivity.
good resale value

Downsides being refurbing the sachs dampers every year (££££)
But could be a useful bargaining point when purchasing to get money off.

Iceberg PH1 172
My mistake, i should have said every few years.

From what info I have read previously on here, Im lead to believe the general consensus is there are no recommended intervals. Just that the gas pressure is lost over time depending on how much hammer they take. If it was being used in its intended way (ie regular motorsport outings as its a motorsport setup) id say every year was a fair estimate to keep them in tip top condition. Road driving would obviously be a different rate of wear.

However im guessing that as most trophys are reaching 10 years old. i bet a 3rd of them would probably never have had them refurbed in their lives.

(Cut me some slack ive been in the sun at Donington all day lol)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You need 5750-6k all in for a decent f1 or a bit more for a LY f1-

4k gets you poverty spec 197- TBH based on all things considered a 182 will cost you less maintenaince in the long run anyway

S

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Echoing from the others, 4K will buy you a dog of a 197. I paid 5.2k for mine and it needed belts etc done.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is it me or are 197's holding their money quote well now?

I was hoping to get a half about one for £25-3000 by now.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Is it me or are 197's holding their money quote well now?

I was hoping to get a half about one for £25-3000 by now.
If anything mate, I think they've gone up slightly in value. I remember looking a while back just to get a rough idea of the current value of mine to see how much it would still owe me after sale for the work that's been done on it and was quite disappointed. Looked again the other day and it wasn't so bad?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If anything mate, I think they've gone up slightly in value. I remember looking a while back just to get a rough idea of the current value of mine to see how much it would still owe me after sale for the work that's been done on it and was quite disappointed. Looked again the other day and it wasn't so bad?
Yeah I think you're right mate. Very odd. Good for current owners though I suppose.

Countryman JCW
182 for £2500-3000, save a grand gets my vote!

I much prefer the drive of a 182 as I was in the exact same position as you a month or so ago

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
A full fat 182 is a pretty decent daily. My dad never got less than 35mpg on a 80 mile round trip on mixed roads everyday to work for a year. Gearing is low on phase 2 clios so long motorway journeys can be noisey if you like to sit at 80+ with the radio off. 182 full fats cope with track days well. No noticeable difference between the full fat 182 and the 172 cup I've tracked. Standard vs standard.

The 197 chassis is a step up but buying a cheap one is a risky business. You might get lucky.

RB Clio 182
They dipped to £4k for early, poverty spec ones some time last year, but you're right, they seem to have settled there.
They cant really drop any lower as 182's have settled around the 3k mark for a decent one, it would be weird if they drop lower than the older version Imo.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
They cant really drop any lower as 182's have settled around the 3k mark for a decent one, it would be weird if they drop lower than the older version Imo.

That may be why people are asking for a grand more then.

I've not looked at 182s for a while so don't know.

Top spec 182s are £3/3500 aren't they? And dog 197s are £3500*/4000 from what I see.

Where do trophies sit atm?

*proper dogs