ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or 197?

Hi all,

I'm putting my 04 Fabia VRS up for sale this weekend with a view to getting back into an RS Clio. Had two 172s previously, one was awesome, one was a dog.

Would I be better off spending 3.5k on a nice 182, or spreading my finances a bit further and going for an early 197 at just over the 4k mark?

I know the 1*2's pretty well, along with associated costs etc but must admit I know NOTHING about the 197s.

Are the 197s built any better?

Do they still need the aux belt done at 36k and cambelt at 5yrs / 72k? Same cost as the 1*2?

What would you guys suggest? :rasp:

Yeah, had a chat with a friend of a friend who's owned both (the 182 was yellow, lucky b#####d), and he preferred the 182. Basically said the 182 had a bit more shove and was cheaper to run, but the 197 is more fun to drive and screwed together better. Also looked at some 04/05 plate meganes, but that's dangerous territory!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Personally wouldn't go 197 unless getting an R27, but then I guess some would say they wouldn't go 1*2 unless getting a Trophy.

In your case, why not get a trophy? Should be able to get one for your extended budget, and a bit more special than a 1*2.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
197s

The belts are the same as the 1*2s

the brakes need a service every year or they can seize

the rear brakes can freeze on in the cold

the pins in the brakes can snap/bend when removing them so people usually have a spare set to hand when doing the brakes

the gearbox can be problematic, make sure they don't crunch above 5k between 3rd and 4th

they can carry more speed into a corner than a 1*2

they feel imo better built and more grown up

they like to drink, expect 30ish mpg

desirable options are

Cruise control
climate control (little screen on the dash)
electric heated folding mirrors
cup chassis (red brakes, Anth wheels)
recaros
​xenons with cornering lights (headlight washers)

Megane r26
I've had both originally started with a phase 2 172 then onto a 197 and now I've got a trophy.

197 is a great car and really well put together and feels more like a modern day car in terms of comfort and build quality. Also the chassis is awesome, just so planted and neutral and not as skippy as the ph2.

Such an easy car to drive fast, the only mod I made to mine was some federo ds2500 pads and some modified brake pins (use and r clip to secure them and shouldn't seize)

Parts are a little more expensive but its just one of those really. Only problem I had was rear brakes sticking in the cold which was soon sorted and seized brake pin again 20 mins with a angle grinder and jobs a goodun.

I certainly miss my 197 in some aspects but I don't mind the slightly cheaper running costs of the 182.

In terms of pace I don't think there any slower I think the 197 is just a lot less raw and a lot smoother.

Yeah, I'm kind of limited by budget - I'm hoping to get a decent price for my VRS then put max £800 towards my next car, so in theory with all being well I could have a budget of up to £4000-£4200. From what I can see I'm probably not going to get a good 197 for that sort of cash, but I'll keep an eye out as I'd rather go for the newer model if I can, especially since all costs apart from fuel are pretty similar. I always look after my cars, both mechanically and aesthetically, so I need to make sure that this purchase is spot on.

I'm after something that can be used as a daily commuting car, about 40 miles / day but with decent performance. I've owned 2 x 172s previously and absolutely loved them, apart from the running costs of the second one which hadn't been looked after at all! Fuel economy isn't my top priority, but being able to get 35mpg on a mix of 50/50 B-Roads and Motorway is an enormous benefit, especially coming from a remapped Fabia VRS which would return 45mpg without trying. I've looked into Imprezas, CTR's, TT's, all of which I can get within my budget (ok, maybe not the TT 225) and easily insure now I'm 30 and have 9 years NCB (and a clean license from next month) but the Clio just ticks all the boxes. I'd like to keep it for a few years and have a car I can do a few bits and pieces to. That was the plan with my previous 172, but it was such a dog that I was forced to sell it on within 6 months.

I've found some decent Megane 225's within my price range (just after £4k), but they're all early models (04/54) and none have the cup chassis :-( Plus after extensive reading it looks as though they're plagued with issues, and would empty my bank account quicker than an Impreza fuel bill!

Thanks for all the info everyone , it's a massive help ... at least I know what to look for now in a 197, will just have to see what I can get if / when I sell my car. I get the feeling it'll be a higher miler 197 or a mint 182 ... and my gut feeling says mint 182. I've considered a trophy, especially since I want to keep it mint, it's just the dampers that really put me off, plus I've always wanted a 182 in blue with the cup packs!

I'll be posting the VRS up for sale on Saturday, it's been incredibly well looked after ... so if you know of anyone who'd be interested please let me know! :D

Thanks everyone!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Trophy dampers can be sorted by cornering force for not too much money these days so arent the horror story they once were.

182 is better on fuel and more fun than the 197, ultimately though the 197 is a better newer car, depends what you want really.

Yeah ... I think it's gonna be a 182... A Blue 182 with cup packs was the first RS Clio I ever drove - and I fell in love. Ended up compromising and getting a Monaco Blue 172 (which went to a forum member), then a year or two later the evil evil horrible black 172 I owned ... I could never quite reach a 182. Now I finally can ... just the small problem of selling mine and finding an awesome 182 at the same time!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah ... I think it's gonna be a 182... A Blue 182 with cup packs was the first RS Clio I ever drove - and I fell in love. Ended up compromising and getting a Monaco Blue 172 (which went to a forum member), then a year or two later the evil evil horrible black 172 I owned ... I could never quite reach a 182. Now I finally can ... just the small problem of selling mine and finding an awesome 182 at the same time!!!

I hate the wheelbarrow look of the 182 exhaust, but I really like some of the colours they come in like the RB we have or the Red or Yellow.

Did a quick bit of searching and it looks like my evil old black Clio actually ended up with a Cliosport member - Bambi. I did used to see it knocking around Coventry after I shopped it in at a local trader and wondered how the hell it was still on the road lol.

So my old Monaco blue 172 went to Oggy172, and the Black one to Bambi :) Good to keep it in the family, let's just hope someone's selling a nice 182 when my Fabia goes!

Clio 182 FF
182 would be better just for mpg reasons. The 197 is no faster and drinks more . No logic imo

I got over 40mpg out of my 182 on a long trip of a mixture of A and B roads so i would definitely go with the 182 over the 197. Plus with your budget you can get a really good 182 rather than a cut price thrashed 197!

Yeah, I once took my 172 from the midlands to Picardy in France ... driving down there, around France, then back up I averaged 44mpg :) Used to get high 30's every day with a mix of spirited and laid back driving. Often saw over 40 tbh, especially on motorway routes.

Always loved that fact that it was so easy to drive and you didn't need to strain it's neck to move along at a steady pace. I think that's something else that makes me think 182 over the 197.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bear in mind most 172/182 MPG gauges lie by about 5-10%, but even still a genuine 40mpg+ is possible on a run :)

RS Clio 197
I had this problem 7 months ago, I couldn't decide which one to have but in the end it had to be the 197 the body style is just amazing

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Id have another 197 over my 172 anyday. I cant imagine a 182 being a huge difference from a 172, but never driven one.
Only reason I dont have a 197, is it would cost me 4-5k to get one, where as my 172 owes me nothing.

Bear in mind most 172/182 MPG gauges lie by about 5-10%, but even still a genuine 40mpg+ is possible on a run :)

Yeah, my remapped Fabia VRS does the same when you actually work it out. Then again it's reading out 55mpg instead of the genuine 50 ;)