ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or 197?

The interior is shite. So what! it's light ,cheap, looks good, and a perfect platform for further tuning. What more could you want.

Black Gold with cup packs
I would rather shite interior, accompanied by a set of recaros, with recaros you tend to forget about the s**t around them.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
it depends on what you want from the car, the straight line speed is just about the same, but the cornering in the 197 is far far better. we have found you get a more f1 race car feel in the 197 and a mess around go-kart feel from the 182 which is great.
when you buy cars like these I think comparing interiors is pointless, you dont buy a hot hatch for that.

Gotta say we love our 182, but if we had to choose between the two it would be the a very easy decision, our R27 is wins hands down

Clio RS 182
The interior is s**te. So what! it's light ,cheap, looks good, and a perfect platform for further tuning. What more could you want.

I couldn't agree more, its excellent value and great fun. Just considering the 197 because I have a couple of grand burning a hole in my pocket. I am either going to spend it on the 197 or on modding my 182. I am veering towards the 197 just because I like the way it looks but I like the looks of the 182 also and I know for a fact its a great car to drive. So its a toughie ...

ValverInBits
don't think it's a better looking car tbh.

182 for me. You can get some GEMS for the price of the oldest 197s

Only two years ago the pundits were lauding the 182 as having the greatest chassis to ever grace a hot hatch . ie the ceiling for cornerability ect had been reached. Richandgem says the 197 corners much better. I say b****cks. lol

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
Richandgem says the 197 corners much better. I say b*****ks. lol

you are in fact very wrong mate, I have got out of the 182 and into thr R27 and the difference is huge, the R27 is far superior

Last edited:
I'm never wrong mate. My experience was the other way round. I'll concede that the 197's handling is on a par with the 182 but the gearing is a failed compromise to negate the extra lard, subsequently making it feel much slower.

Clio RS 182
Haidressers car OR Man's car?
I hate that bullsh*t talk. People used to say my 350Z was a mans car but my Boxster S and Honda S2000 where hairdressers cars. Without a doubt the Boxster S and Honda where better drivers cars than the 350Z ever was. I can guarantee you there will be people out there who will claim all Clio's are for girls. The last thing I wanted to do was start that pathetic and sexist debate ... Its pure garbage.

Clio RS 182
Still none the wiser anyway, think I need to test drive the 197 and make my own mind up. Interesting getting opinions though ... anyway had better dash, got someones hair to cut .... ;-)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'm never wrong mate. My experience was the other way round. I'll concede that the 197's handling is on a par with the 182 but the gearing is a failed compromise to negate the extra lard, subsequently making it feel much slower.

PMSL!!!! Dreamer

I think we have a new Jajack here.......

Anyway back on topic. Yes i have had a 182 and a 197 side by side ;). Last summer, mate had a 197 on demo from work (SBV116 on here) My (at the time )182 was standard, so was the 197. We had a spirited drive down local roads and there really is nothing in it. Granted the 197 driver has to work harder to stir the extra cogs, but straight line they are pretty much even. Yes they are bigger, but from the evidence i've seen from RR days on here, the 197's make their power, 182's don't. Thats with peeps on here R/R'ing the same day as 172/182 owners.......They dont 'feel' as fast as they are soo much better built inside, really refined. I've not looked back, and i used to LOVE my 172 Cup

ST

PMSL!!!! Dreamer

Anyway back on topic. Yes i have had a 182 and a 197 side by side ;). Last summer, mate had a 197 on demo from work (SBV116 on here) My (at the time )182 was standard, so was the 197. We had a spirited drive down local roads and there really is nothing in it. Granted the 197 driver has to work harder to stir the extra cogs, but straight line they are pretty much even. Yes they are bigger, but from the evidence i've seen from RR days on here, the 197's make their power, 182's don't. Thats with peeps on here R/R'ing the same day as 172/182 owners.......They dont 'feel' as fast as they are soo much better built inside, really refined. I've not looked back, and i used to LOVE my 172 Cup

198.2bhp here with 5,300 miles on the clock..back to back with paul G's, his made 201.3bhp with 12,400 miles on the clock...both standard.

A good few 172/182's struggled for book on the same rollers on the same day..

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
My point exactly, there are no excuses if the 197's are run the same time as the MK2's, ie same temps, same rollers etc etc

They'll turn ;)

Black Gold with cup packs
Still none the wiser anyway, think I need to test drive the 197 and make my own mind up. Interesting getting opinions though ... anyway had better dash, got someones hair to cut .... ;-)

You run along now... Don't forget your clippers!

clio trophy No56
PMSL!!!! Dreamer

198.2bhp here with 5,300 miles on the clock..back to back with paul G's, his made 201.3bhp with 12,400 miles on the clock...both standard.

My clio trophy only has a k&n panel filter and over 3 runs the lowest it put out was about 185 at the fly and the best was 196 at the fly, so a average of about 190bhp about 158 at the wheels.
Anyway rolling roads are papa, they all tell a different story.
I love my trophy and wouldnt sell it for anything, but if i had the money i would have a R27 also, awsome car, as is the Trophy.

Clio RS 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw182

You run along now... Don't forget your clippers!

I notice you got a few problems with your barnet mate, will let you know if I'm ever in Wales with my clippers. Will bring you a jumper too.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
I love these threads. How many 197 vs 182/172 threads have we had in the last few months? Ah well, as usual we'll all put our 2 cents or whatever in, and as usual we won't reach any kind of conclusion.

For me, it's a simple choice: quality and stability or that truly 'connected' feeling. Both cars are superb, but you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

My clio trophy only has a k&n panel filter and over 3 runs the lowest it put out was about 185 at the fly and the best was 196 at the fly, so a average of about 190bhp about 158 at the wheels.
I love my trophy and wouldnt sell it for anything, but if i had the money i would have a R27 also, awsome car, as is the Trophy.

Yes RR you do take with a pinch of salt, but the point i'm making is the 197's were run at the same place (same day) as the MK2's and made their power. The MK2's didnt, and seldom do. Your reading is (imo) high. Most 182's make circa 170bhp ish. Were other Clios ran at the same time?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
If the 197 was was 207 or 217 in bhp, I'd consider. 197's are far too heavy, 1240 kgs. Shame on Renault.:(

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
I purchased my 182 cup from a Renault dealer in November. I breifly considered the 197 and test drove one while i was there. I found the cabin to be nicer than the 182 cup, and the interior seemed much better made - although the car WAS brand new.

The 197 felt easily as nimble and as well planted as the 182 cup, if only a little bit slower. They were probally equal in terms of outright performance, but the 182 cup seemed to have a better spread of torque, although this may have been owing to the 197 having not being 'run in'.

The deciding factor was that the 182 was alot cheaper (£10k rather than £15k) and had the same 'small car, big engine' feeling that my old (and much missed) Williams had.

Thats what swung it for me - and the fact that i have a mortgage to pay haha! :)

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
I had an old 160k A3 which i really couldnt sell. Renault offered me £2.5k in part ex when in reality it was probally only worth £1200 and i got a warranty which covers the car as long as i owned it.

I do ALOT of miles and get through cars pretty quickly, so it made sense to buy something that i will enjoy driving AND gets put back together when it starts falling to bits haha...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Yes RR you do take with a pinch of salt, but the point i'm making is the 197's were run at the same place (same day) as the MK2's and made their power. The MK2's didnt, and seldom do. Your reading is (imo) high. Most 182's make circa 170bhp ish. Were other Clios ran at the same time?

Nah! over 15cars ran that day!

4 out of the 5 172's ran between 171, 172,170(Ecka's eventually) and 178
182's all ran late 170's early 180's
both 197's ran bang on the money 198 and 201 respective.

Rollers were spot on. Vee ran 253 i think...So close enough.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
in regards to my earlier comments about the interior i have since seen a 197 interior with the normal heating controls opposed to the climate control and it looks much better.