ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Oil

Mondeo STTDCI

Just read a post from Bradford lad in another thread and thought Id post up a separate topic.

He asked if the oil should be changed as Renault suggest after the run-in (600miles) and what to use (Elf fully synthetic).

I read another post about what oil to use weeks ago but cant find it so can someone clarify please?!

Also I take it you could use the Oil change guide on the main site for the 172 and eveything would roundabout be the same?

Ford Fiesta

Not sure renault suggest this or not? I meant in my post do people suggest this or do renault suggest it is changed?

as far as i know they dont for other model clios, but other cars are changed imprezas etc...

My Exige had to have replacement oil at 1000 miles - something to do with all the bits of metal swirling around in the engine whilst running in.

The crappy Peugeot 206 didnt.

Surely it would say so in the manual if that was the case???

Balders

Oil is cheaper than bearings! Im sure Renault are aware of this and they must have a lot of faith in their products. Having said that my 182 will have an oil change at 1000 miles, just to give the motor a fightin chance.

The service intervals on these things are huge for a performance motor. The Gto needs a oil and filter change every 4500 miles!! Think yourselves lucky and treat your new engine to some Tlc. It will pay off in the long run.

Orange 182

I asked the RTE at my local dealer about chaning the oil and he said its not required, but he would consider doing it if it was his car. Altho Im not sure whether to trust this guy cos in the same sentence he also mentioned that I could wait till my first 18k service... the woman on reception corrected him before I had chance to ;).

So whats the best oil to use on 172/182 then?

I changed my 172 oil @ 3000 miles and was very suprised at all the bits in the oil when i strained it. If only for peace of mind its worth changeing.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Stay away from fully synthetic until youve got circa 10k miles on it...its to slippery to allow the engine to bed-in/loosen up properly.

Stick to mineral oil, or maybe semi-synthetic.

I changed mine on my 172 at 1100 miles, and Ill do it at 6k and then every 6k in between services, or 6 months, you know.

Its really the best thing you can do for your engine.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Is it easy enough to do on the 172/182 ? .. I mean can you get to the oil filter easily etc.. or would it need to go on a ramp?

Do Renault use ELF when servicing the car because i would like to stick with the same oil. Which one of these would be recommened for oil change at 1500 miles ?

http://www.lubricants.elf.com/cgi-bin/frames/frames.pl?site=en&part=/part2&chap=/part2/chap1&file=/part2/chap1/sub/00000805.htm&teasing=off&sub=1http://www.lubricants.elf.com/cgi-bin/frames/frames.pl?site=en&part=/part2&chap=/part2/chap1&file=/part2/chap1/sub/00000805.htm&teasing=off&sub=1

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Im confused now but it looks like after this thread ill be changing my oil after 2000 miles now,how much will Renault charge for a change ?

Quote: Originally posted by Not_for_long on 22 April 2004

Stay away from fully synthetic until youve got circa 10k miles on it...its to slippery to allow the engine to bed-in/loosen up properly.

Stick to mineral oil, or maybe semi-synthetic.
nah, not 10k, more like 2k...i would stick with mineral till about then. Most of the parts your aiming to bed in would of sorted themselves by then.

I personall on a new car, run it in properly for the first 60 miles or so, quick change of oils and filter then just keep an eye on it till 1500-2000 miles before i swap to synth.

Mondeo STTDCI

so what would be the oil to go for between the 600 mile and 2k stage mate? I know "mineral" and all that but can u suggest an actual product? thus making it easy for me lol

Its summer time so just plump for some semi elf comp 15w50.

Flushing agents, dont bother, buy some crappy oil and run it for 5 mins then drain it again before.

dk

911 GTS Cab

in my 182 manual it states that i should use 5w40? is this correct, i put 14w 40 GTX in the other day, is that gonna be a problem?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive also wondered about that.

Ive currently got fully synth 5W40 in the car...warms up nice and quick now compared to the sludge that was in there (looked like Renault never changed the oil in the last 30k miles).

Should I maybe be using 10W50 or even 15W50

Ford Fiesta

so much to choose from hard to know what is best.

Elf Excellium DID 5W40

matches what the manual says does it meet the specification though ACEA?

it says,

"

Very high performance lubricant based upon Elf Synthetic Technology for petrol and diesel engines in cars, and particularly for Volkswagen TDI direct injection diesel engines fitted with pump injectors. "

based upon synthectic technology, does this mean it is fully sysnthetic?

lol decision making...

[Edited by Bradfordlad on 03 May 2004 at 2:26pm]

Elf Excellium LDX 5W40 has Renault listed in the specs

Application :

Very high performance engine oil based upon Elf Synthetic Technology, recommended for all petrol and diesel engines. Specially designed for maximum protection with extended oil-change intervals.

Specifications :

ACEA : A3/B3/B4-98

API SJ/CF

Daimler-Benz : MB 229.3

VW 502.00/505.00

BMW Longlife

Porsche

RENAULT

http://www.lubrifiants.elf.com/en/products/00000776.htm#hautIMG height=21 src= http://www.lubrifiants.elf.com/shared/images/top

Ford Fiesta

well this must be what renault want you to use then, 5w40 Elf Excellium LDX 5W40 and acea A3, i remember in the clio manual it says if poss use .... for improved fuel economy cant remember the spec it suggested though.

Ill run it with whats in it from new whatever that is, then at 2000miles get oil filter change to Elf Excellium LDX 5W40 .

Mondeo STTDCI

Let us know how u get on lad...and if ur doing the change urself post some pics mate!

Really, you dont need to be so worried or manufacturer reccomendation specific.

If you wanted my opinion, the best and most protective oils arent even API approved due to the massive amounts of EPAs preset, which are bad for cats and EURO emissions laws.

If your not planning to run an oil for more than 3K dont bother with expensive fully synth oils, semis and minerals will be jsut as good up to that interval.

Infact, read what i wrote here, seond post from bottom.

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=83353&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=83353&PagePosition=1

Ah. When I said all I should have qualified that with all the dealers I used for my servicing. Was it an official Renault dealer? If so it seems that there isnt a standard oil that youve got to use. Just check its the right rating and good quality.

Changing the oil/filter on a 172 is a pain in the arse judging from the amount of swearing the AA service centre bloke did when he changed mine. I reckoned that for 28 quid for a Magnatec oil change it was worth letting them take the hassle.

Ive just put in 5w 40 Shell ultra blah blah. I change the oil every 6000 miles. Dont bother with the oil filter every 6000 miles, just 12000 services.

Just my take on it!!

R

rich[182]

where do you get the elf excellium from ?

i used to use mobil 1 in my fiesta rs turbo, every 3k from new to 80k and engine was like brand new, best oil i ever used, what do u reckon ?

Ford Fiesta

elf is part of total fina maybe from these people, think head office is in west yorks for Elf...?