ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 oil filter change

What a pain.

Can't seem to budge it. Just snapped a nylon strap wrench tying to remove it. It's made nonimpact apart from crushing it a little.

Also discovered 3 snapped bolts on the top part if the inlet manifold and also one of the bolts for the fuel rail guard is snapped.

Oh what fun :(

Fiesta ST2
I did my oil on the 197 about 2 weeks ago. I had to buy a bigger pair of oil removal grips as the ones I had where too small! i ended up laying under the car pulling so hard the car was moving on the ramps!! one final tug and it came loose. theres about 10 inchs at the front of the 197 its not nice :(

Clio 172 cup
2 tips for removing oil filters

1, borrow your mums marigold gloves, the rubber will give you 500% more turning grip if you can get ya hand on the filter

2, knock a screw driver into the filter and then use the handle on the screw driver to turn the filter, yhis is the messy option

both these methods will get the filter off

if 1, fails then 2, will def work

Either the grips or the screw driver option are the only things left I think. Trying to avoid the screw drivers as I have bad visions of ripping it to pieces and be left with the bottom bit still attached to the engine :(

Thanks guys. Anyone recommend any filter grips that I can get from motor factors or halfords/eurocarparts?

ITB'd MK1
something like these. Mine are snap on, but you can get similar elsewhere

plier-filter-wrench.jpg

Clio 197
2 tips for removing oil filters

1, borrow your mums marigold gloves, the rubber will give you 500% more turning grip if you can get ya hand on the filter

2, knock a screw driver into the filter and then use the handle on the screw driver to turn the filter, yhis is the messy option

both these methods will get the filter off

if 1, fails then 2, will def work

yup agree with this - as long as you stab it near the end of the filter no harm can be done

Impreza Wagon
I got the Renault specific tool from euro car parts for £5, it got the filter off no problem!

£12 from halfords.

Was looking at the renault fitment 76mm 12 flutes caps as I've used these on the replacement filter element style. Was think about getting one however since the filter had crushed a bit from the strap wrench I thought it might not be able to get a good grip.

Pliers are fab :)